2001-10-23 23:55:00

by Mark Clayton

Subject: unnumbered interfaces?

I'm trying to understand unnumbered interfaces. From
searching the web, they seem to be point-to-point links
that do not have IP numbers (hence the name). This is
what alludes:

1) How do you set a pair on linux boxes to do this? ppp?
2) How would a program send data across the link? Via
sockets? Or thru /dev/something0?
3) Does it make sense that to use ethernet? Not to me
but sometimes I'm wrong :)

I'm sure I'm missing the obvious. I usually do. Can
anyone shed some light on this topic?

Thanks,
Mark
--
Mark & Kathy Clayton
S/V Brown Pelican

2001-11-01 15:22:59

by Remco Post

Subject: Re: unnumbered interfaces?

> I'm trying to understand unnumbered interfaces. From
> searching the web, they seem to be point-to-point links
> that do not have IP numbers (hence the name). This is
> what alludes:
>
> 1) How do you set a pair on linux boxes to do this? ppp?
> 2) How would a program send data across the link? Via
> sockets? Or thru /dev/something0?
> 3) Does it make sense that to use ethernet? Not to me
> but sometimes I'm wrong :)
>
> I'm sure I'm missing the obvious. I usually do. Can
> anyone shed some light on this topic?
>
> Thanks,
> Mark
> --
> Mark & Kathy Clayton
> S/V Brown Pelican
> http://www.brown-pelican.com/

Hi,

AFAIK, unnumbered interfaces are used only on routers on serial links and
things like pos. Basically one would then enter a route entry routing one or
more ip-blocks via an interface, not via the ip of a neigbouring router, in
stead of the ip address of the neigbouring router one enters the name of the
interface to use for this route.

Since these interfaces have no ip address, they cannot be the source of ip
packets. Applications that generate ip traffic on such a router will use a
different ip address on that router a the source ip, even if the packet has to
go out on an unnumbered interface.

Having said this, unnumbered interfaces are quite rare in ip networks, most
backbones use ip addresses on all of the interfaces of their routers. (do a
traceroute to anywhere, you'll find very few hops that show no ip address).

--
Met vriendelijke groeten,

Remco Post

SARA - Stichting Academisch Rekencentrum Amsterdam
High Performance Computing Tel. +31 20 592 8008 Fax. +31 20 668 3167

"I really didn't foresee the Internet. But then, neither did the computer
industry. Not that that tells us very much of course - the computer industry
didn't even foresee that the century was going to end." -- Douglas Adams

2001-11-01 20:14:47

by Dan Hollis

On Thu, 1 Nov 2001, Remco Post wrote:
> Having said this, unnumbered interfaces are quite rare in ip networks, most
> backbones use ip addresses on all of the interfaces of their routers. (do a
> traceroute to anywhere, you'll find very few hops that show no ip address).

unnumbered interfaces are more common than you think -- most dialup ppp
servers use them. iirc the linux pppd supports them too.

-Dan
--
[-] Omae no subete no kichi wa ore no mono da. [-]

2001-11-02 03:36:09

by Bernd Eckenfels

In article <[email protected]> you wrote:
>> I'm trying to understand unnumbered interfaces. From
>> searching the web, they seem to be point-to-point links
>> that do not have IP numbers (hence the name).

It is Cisco Speak. In Linux you simply give the Interface an IP Address of
an exisiting Interface, and then you have an "unnumbered" interface. It
simply means it does not add an additional address.

Routing in modern operating systems is so easy and natural with interface
and host routes, dont worry about cisco legacy.

Greetings
Bernd

2001-11-02 21:57:59

by Bruce Ferrell

Subject: Re: unnumbered interfaces? - OT

Bernd Eckenfels wrote:

> In article <[email protected]> you wrote:
> >> I'm trying to understand unnumbered interfaces. From
> >> searching the web, they seem to be point-to-point links
> >> that do not have IP numbers (hence the name).

They are in fact, used for point-to-point links. It allows someone to
build a kind of distributed router; Kind of like the old IBM remote
bridge arrangemets. Those had either a token ring or ethernet card and
a WAN card of some kind (usually SDLC or X.25) connecting them
together. Kind of cool in a weird, expensive sort of way.