2001-10-28 23:16:17

by Justin Mierta

Subject: ECS k7s5a motherboard doesnt work

First of all, I'm not subscribed to the list, could any comments please
be cc'd to [email protected]

Secondly, I thank you all very much for taking the time to help.

Here's the problem. I just bought a 1.4 GHz AMD athlon and an ECS k7s5a
motherboard. I tried to install linux using this motherboard several
dozen times, using several different distros (mandrake, redhat, and
debian). Not once did it install completely. The problems ranged from
the partition table being scrambled when it attempted to make the
partitions, to failure to access harddisk, to failure to access the
cdrom. Cdrom failures were actually the most common reason for the
failed install. I tried the different distros, as well as an old
version of mandrake which i know the install cd works (i used it on
another computer).

Before the harddisk scrambling occurred the once or twice, I thought
maybe my cdrom was no longer functioning (even though the same cdrom
drive worked fine with linux with a different motherboard). So I tried
using a cdr drive, a dvd drive, and a regular 48x cdrom drive, and all
of the distros had issues.

For this reason, i'm leaning towards believing that the ECS k7s5a's
built-in ultradma controller is incompatable with linux.

Has anyone else experienced this, is this a known issue, and is any work
being done to fix it? or does anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you all very much for your time,
Justin

2001-10-28 23:44:01

by Alan

Subject: Re: ECS k7s5a motherboard doesnt work

> Has anyone else experienced this, is this a known issue, and is any work
> being done to fix it? or does anyone have any suggestions?

The sort of things you describe sound like straight forward broken hardware
not even incompatibilities - bad ram , bad board, bad CPU could all do this

2001-10-29 00:56:36

by Justin Mierta

I'm using this archive:
http://www.uwsg.indiana.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/index.html

and nowhere can i find the thread you mentioned.

Also, this motherboard works *perfect* in windows (which is
unfortunately where i've been stuck) -- it hasnt crashed in the last
several weeks i've been using it! (probably the longest uptime i've ever
seen for a windows machine that's actually being used) So I *seriously*
doubt its bad hardware.

Can you maybe give me a link to the thread you mention?

Justin

[email protected] wrote:

>You might be interested in my recently initiated tread:
>
>Subject: Repeatable File Corruption (ECS K7S5A w/SIS735)
>

>You should always check the archives before posting. You problems seem
>much worse than mine, so I'm going to assume there is something else not
>working for you. Alan's suggestion that you might have some bad hardware
>makes sense. RAM is a common culprit. Good luck.

2001-10-29 08:00:53

by Justin Mierta

here's some more info for everyone trying to help:
redhat says (at some point) that it insmod'd sis900, not the sis5513
that mark had suggested, and the sis735 that everything says is actually
in the motherboard. (i have to assume the sis900 was ide, because it
didnt tell me anything more useful than "insmod sis900" and that it worked)

however, the messages i'm seeing are something like this:
hda atapi: reset complete
irq timeout: complete status = 0xC0 { busy } (sometimes thats 0xD0)

then there's a few lines every now and then saying "drive not ready for
command" and "I/O error"

any suggestions?

justin

2001-10-29 15:09:00

by Justin Mierta

well, i dont have a floppy drive, so that test is a little difficult to
do, but i threw some ram in there that i have used in linux before, and
i still had the slew of ide error messages. and this harddrive has
worked in linux before. i'm getting more and more convinced its an ide
controller +linux issue.

plus, i just discovered this:
http://www.uwsg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0109.1/0198.html

which really points to ide controller and linux not fighting nicely
together, altho the thread doesnt really point towards a solution.

justin

Alan Cox wrote:

>>well, i've been using it in win98 (unfortunately) and it works
>>perfectly. i havent even had it crash at all. so i doubt its a
>>hardware thing...
>>

>That proves absolutely nothing. Win98 stresses the system differently to
>Linux. Run test tools like memtest86 on it

2001-10-29 16:40:32

by Daniel Freedman

Justin Mierta ([email protected]) wrote:
> and nowhere can i find the thread you mentioned.
>
> Also, this motherboard works *perfect* in windows (which is
> unfortunately where i've been stuck) -- it hasnt crashed in the last
> several weeks i've been using it! (probably the longest uptime i've ever
> seen for a windows machine that's actually being used) So I *seriously*
> doubt its bad hardware.
>
> Can you maybe give me a link to the thread you mention?
>
> Justin

Justin,

Hi! I've purchased three of these ECS K7S5A motherboards (based upon
Sis 735 chipsets) and have installed Linux (specifically Debian 2.2r3,
with 2.2.19 kernel) on all of them without any difficulty or hiccups.
This would tend to suggest, as Alan implied, that the board is not
incompatible (at least not wildly so, as you describe) and that you
may have hardware issues, even if Windows does run on this setup.

The main issue that I believe exists with this board, or actually with
the board's chipset (people, please correct me if I'm wrong), is that
the current 2.2.19 does not support the built-in ethernet capabilities
of the Sis 735. I've tried Sis's patch for the kernel from their
website, but that won't even compile. I'm planning to look into Alan's
2.2.20pre11 release that supposedly includes a Sis900 chipset update
(Sis seems to suggest that the 900 and 735 use the same drivers, at
least to some degree) and maybe this will work. In the meantime, I
just installed a NIC.

Hope this helps, Justin. I'd love to hear if anyone else knows about
the Sis735 ethernet issue.

Take care,
Daniel

PS Please CC me on replies.

--
Daniel A. Freedman
Laboratory for Atomic and Solid State Physics

2001-10-29 17:39:32

by Joel Jaeggli

sis900 is the integrated ethernet controller...

joelja

On Mon, 29 Oct 2001, Justin Mierta wrote:

> here's some more info for everyone trying to help:
> redhat says (at some point) that it insmod'd sis900, not the sis5513
> that mark had suggested, and the sis735 that everything says is actually
> in the motherboard. (i have to assume the sis900 was ide, because it
> didnt tell me anything more useful than "insmod sis900" and that it worked)
>
> however, the messages i'm seeing are something like this:
> hda atapi: reset complete
> irq timeout: complete status = 0xC0 { busy } (sometimes thats 0xD0)
>
> then there's a few lines every now and then saying "drive not ready for
> command" and "I/O error"
>
> any suggestions?
>
> justin
>

> -

Joel Jaeggli [email protected]
Academic User Services [email protected]
PGP Key Fingerprint: 1DE9 8FCA 51FB 4195 B42A 9C32 A30D 121E
It is clear that the arm of criticism cannot replace the criticism of
arms. Karl Marx -- Introduction to the critique of Hegel's Philosophy of
the right, 1843.

2001-10-29 19:33:16

by dan

I had started a similar thread last week:

http://www.uwsg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0109.1/0198.html

There is clearly something wrong with the sis ide driver. I've lost years
of information due to backups also being corrupt. I'll hopefully be
testing a patch in the next day or two from Andre.

Reading your previous posts, I'd still have to agree with Alan that
have something else going wrong. I've had similar problems where things
have worked in windows, but then not even being able to install Linux.
The results problems have ended up being bad ram and inadequate cooling.

On Mon, 29 Oct 2001, Justin Mierta wrote:

> well, i dont have a floppy drive, so that test is a little difficult to
> do, but i threw some ram in there that i have used in linux before, and
> i still had the slew of ide error messages. and this harddrive has
> worked in linux before. i'm getting more and more convinced its an ide
> controller +linux issue.
>
> plus, i just discovered this:
> http://www.uwsg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0109.1/0198.html
>
> which really points to ide controller and linux not fighting nicely
> together, altho the thread doesnt really point towards a solution.
>
> justin
>

> Alan Cox wrote:
>
> >>well, i've been using it in win98 (unfortunately) and it works
> >>perfectly. i havent even had it crash at all. so i doubt its a
> >>hardware thing...
> >>

> >That proves absolutely nothing. Win98 stresses the system differently to
> >Linux. Run test tools like memtest86 on it

2001-10-29 19:36:46

by Adrian Burgess

On Mon, Oct 29, 2001 at 10:10:28AM -0500, Justin Mierta wrote:

> well, i dont have a floppy drive, so that test is a little difficult to
> do, but i threw some ram in there that i have used in linux before, and
> i still had the slew of ide error messages. and this harddrive has
> worked in linux before. i'm getting more and more convinced its an ide
> controller +linux issue.
>
> plus, i just discovered this:
> http://www.uwsg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0109.1/0198.html
>
> which really points to ide controller and linux not fighting nicely
> together, altho the thread doesnt really point towards a solution.
>
> justin

Ok, well, I'm still using the KS75A under Linux, Win98, and WinXP, and the
only OS that seems to have problems is Linux. I don't have any data
corruption problems (as far as I know), but I'm still getting the DMA
timeout errors reported in the thread above. There definitely seems to be
more reports than normal about IDE problems with Linux on this board. And
other than IDE the board seems pretty stable.
Btw, the SIS900 is the on-board Ethernet controller.

Cheers,
Adrian

2001-10-29 20:52:12

by Justin Mierta

>>2) its not the cables, i checked them
>>
>most people are unaware that IDE must always be <=18". I mean no
>insult, but do you know the rules for ide?

no, i'm not taking it as an insult, but yes, they are shorter than 18".
i dont have any cables that long, but i wouldnt expect them to work at
all at ata100 if they were that long....(hence why i figured saying that
it works in the other OSs was also saying the cables were shorter than 18")

>>3) its not the ram, i checked it
>>
>how?

this motherboard is an upgrade. the old motherboard/ram/processor
worked fine in all the linux's, as well as freebsd and beos. i put that
ram in there (pc133), and i still get dma errors. i also tried my
roommate's ddr ram (he used to use linux with it), and still the dma errors.

>>4) its not the harddrive, cdroms - they worked fine in linux before i
>>upgraded the mobo
>>
>same arrangement?

yeah. in fact, they were never unplugged (except for obviously from the
motherboard) until i was testing the cables.

>>8) seems to be having real dma issues. BeOS doesnt use DMA, and i'm
>>pretty sure that FreeBSD wasnt either (because it wasnt familiar with
>>the chipset, so was just going thru the bios)
>>
>what mode does it come up in? do you do some hdparm tweaking?
>anything in /proc/ide?

well, when freebsd boots it says a few lines about "Drive C: bios" or
something like that. i'm not really very familiar with it. but no, i
didnt use any special settings. its not exactly easy, but i can
probably get you the first few lines of dmesg if you think it'll help

>>9) *new* - the machine is not overheating, the hottest spot is at a cool
>>57 C
>>
>57C is hardly cool, though it shouldn't cause problems.

last i saw, amd rates these chips at 95C, so 57 is downright chilly :)

>>now i'm not sure where the problem is, but it seems pretty clearly to me
>>that it is dma-related. neither BeOS or FreeBSD is trying to use dma,
>>and they work. i'm pretty sure windows is using dma, but its using the
>>drivers that came with the mobo. linux is trying to use dma using
>>drivers not written by ECS, and it doesnt work.
>>
>udma or even mdma? if mdma, does hdparm -m settings effect it?

i'm not sure how to check, and i have a very difficult time even getting
to a shell in linux, because the damn thing keeps dma erroring about
reading the cd's. is there some boot-up settings i can feed it so it
wont try using dma at all?

>>or that there's some minor timing quirk (like a
>>race condition) in the linux driver that my computer just likes to hit?
>>
>unlikley. in part because the sis driver, like most others,
>doesn't do much itself, since the interesting/subtle parts of
>doing ide are all done in generic code.
>
>but why do you mention timing? sure, the sis driver is hardly the most
>well tested (widely used) driver, so perhaps it fiddles a reg that
>needs a microsecond of "rest" afterwards.

i just mentioned timing, because in my (somewhat limited) experience
writing drivers, timing booboos tend to be the cause of lots of problems
(especially when timeouts are involved)

>>at this point, i'm tending to think that there's several versions of
>>sis735 floating around (similar to the maneuver that ensoniq pulled with
>>their sound cards) -- possibly even within the revisions of the k7s5a
>>motherboard itself.
>>
>lspci /proc/pci will give you the revisions of the chipset components.

again, cant easily get to a command prompt in linux, making things like
this very difficult :)

i think the best thing is to try and find a startup parameter to prevent
it from using dma, and see if that works. anyone know how? :)

justin

2001-10-31 08:30:05

by Zephaniah E. Hull

On Mon, Oct 29, 2001 at 10:10:28AM -0500, Justin Mierta wrote:
> well, i dont have a floppy drive, so that test is a little difficult to
> do, but i threw some ram in there that i have used in linux before, and
> i still had the slew of ide error messages. and this harddrive has
> worked in linux before. i'm getting more and more convinced its an ide
> controller +linux issue.
>
> plus, i just discovered this:
> http://www.uwsg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0109.1/0198.html
>
> which really points to ide controller and linux not fighting nicely
> together, altho the thread doesnt really point towards a solution.

I'm using a K7S5A with recent 2.4.x kernels, and have no major
problems[0].

I don't remember why I have CONFIG_IDEDISK_MULTI_MODE on, but I do.

I also have CONFIG_IDEDMA_NEW_DRIVE_LISTINGS on, and obviously have
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SIS5513 on.

Oh, and I have CONFIG_IDEDMA_IVB as well.

The only problems I have seen with this board are that I can't find
drivers for the sound (no big loss), lmsensors does not seem to be able
to properly read the sensors (annoying), repeated 'VFS: Disk change
detected on device ide1(22,0)' messages (my cdrom drive, getting a
little annoying), and, thats about it.

I have not seen any data corruption.

My obvious question is what kernels are you running, and are you
enabling CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SIS5513 or not?

Zephaniah E. Hull.

--
1024D/E65A7801 Zephaniah E. Hull <[email protected]>
92ED 94E4 B1E6 3624 226D 5727 4453 008B E65A 7801

"<green>From</yellow>"
"Wow. The green word From is no longer yellow. That's deep, man."
-- Marcus Meissner & Lars Balker Rasmussen in the Scary Devil Monastery

Attachments:
(No filename) (1.71 kB)
(No filename) (232.00 B)

by Alan

> The only problems I have seen with this board are that I can't find
> drivers for the sound (no big loss), lmsensors does not seem to be able

[ALSA has one I believe]

> to properly read the sensors (annoying), repeated 'VFS: Disk change
> detected on device ide1(22,0)' messages (my cdrom drive, getting a
> little annoying), and, thats about it.

rpm -e magicdev

2001-11-02 14:04:17

by Marco Colombo

On Mon, 29 Oct 2001, Justin Mierta wrote:

> >>9) *new* - the machine is not overheating, the hottest spot is at a cool
> >>57 C
> >>
> >57C is hardly cool, though it shouldn't cause problems.
> >
> last i saw, amd rates these chips at 95C, so 57 is downright chilly :)

yup, but see the cooler man (if it has one). Some of them are rated for
< 70C - above that they stop and melt (in whatever order).

> i'm not sure how to check, and i have a very difficult time even getting
> to a shell in linux, because the damn thing keeps dma erroring about
> reading the cd's. is there some boot-up settings i can feed it so it
> wont try using dma at all?

see Documentation/kernel-parameters.txt:

ide0=nodma ide1=nodma

should do.

The following is on my K7S5A (no onboard eth):

# hdparm -tT /dev/hda

/dev/hda:
Timing buffer-cache reads: 128 MB in 0.53 seconds =241.51 MB/sec
Timing buffered disk reads: 64 MB in 1.82 seconds = 35.16 MB/sec

kernel is 2.2.19-xxx from RH, but when I tested it performed the same
under 2.4.x. Its uptime is only 9 days, but no problems so far. It's
a NFS, samba, SMTP, IMAP, HTTP server, not heavily loaded.

> >>at this point, i'm tending to think that there's several versions of
> >>sis735 floating around (similar to the maneuver that ensoniq pulled with
> >>their sound cards) -- possibly even within the revisions of the k7s5a
> >>motherboard itself.

Mine doesn't have an eth on board. Have you tried and disabled it?

.TM.
--
____/ ____/ /
/ / / Marco Colombo

2001-11-02 16:02:51

by John Fremlin

Subject: ECS k7s5a audio sound SiS 735 - 7012

Alan Cox <[email protected]> writes:

> > The only problems I have seen with this board are that I can't find
> > drivers for the sound (no big loss), lmsensors does not seem to be able
>
> [ALSA has one I believe]

I couldn't see one. Do you know what name it would have or where I can
get the datasheet for it?

The ECS K75S5A motherboard is built around a SiS735 chipset with
integrated sound, called a SiS7012 by SiS. According to
http://www.sis.com/support/driver/audio.htm one MS-Windows driver
covers the chipsets SiS635, SiS735, SiS633, and SiS733.

There allegedly exist non-free Linux drivers from OSS called the
SiS7012.

The PCI dump for the sound part is

/proc/pci:
Bus 0, device 2, function 7:
Multimedia audio controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS7012 PCI Audio Accelerator (rev 160).
IRQ 11.
Master Capable. Latency=64. Min Gnt=52.Max Lat=11.
I/O at 0xdc00 [0xdcff].
I/O at 0xd800 [0xd83f].

/sbin/lspci -v:
00:02.7 Class 0401: 1039:7012 (rev a0)
Subsystem: 1019:0a14
I/O ports at dc00 [size=256]
I/O ports at d800 [size=64]

[...]

--

http://ape.n3.net

2001-11-02 16:10:01

by Alan

Subject: Re: ECS k7s5a audio sound SiS 735 - 7012

> > [ALSA has one I believe]
>
> I couldn't see one. Do you know what name it would have or where I can
> get the datasheet for it?

Apparently I was misinformed.

> The ECS K75S5A motherboard is built around a SiS735 chipset with
> integrated sound, called a SiS7012 by SiS. According to
> http://www.sis.com/support/driver/audio.htm one MS-Windows driver
> covers the chipsets SiS635, SiS735, SiS633, and SiS733.
>
> There allegedly exist non-free Linux drivers from OSS called the
> SiS7012.

I guess someone who wants the driver needs to talk to SiS about datasheets

2001-11-02 16:15:21

by John Fremlin

Alan Cox <[email protected]> writes:

[...]

> > The ECS K75S5A motherboard is built around a SiS735 chipset with
> > integrated sound, called a SiS7012 by SiS. According to
> > http://www.sis.com/support/driver/audio.htm one MS-Windows driver
> > covers the chipsets SiS635, SiS735, SiS633, and SiS733.
> >
> > There allegedly exist non-free Linux drivers from OSS called the
> > SiS7012.
>
> I guess someone who wants the driver needs to talk to SiS about
> datasheets

Who to talk to at SiS? They have a dubious web interface for sales and
marketing requests that I used, but I'd prefer to email someone who
knows what a datasheet actually is ;-)

Alsa doesn't advertise any contact with SiS at all :-(
--

http://ape.n3.net

2001-11-02 21:20:52

by Dan Hollis

On 2 Nov 2001, John Fremlin wrote:
> Who to talk to at SiS? They have a dubious web interface for sales and
> marketing requests that I used, but I'd prefer to email someone who
> knows what a datasheet actually is ;-)
> Alsa doesn't advertise any contact with SiS at all :-(

I've already talked with SiS. They are insisting that they will write the
drivers themselves, they dont want to release datasheets to anyone. The
reply I got (Thu, 25 Oct 2001) they said they are working on OSS drivers
in-house, and ALSA drivers are next.

Of course, who knows when they'll be released.

-Dan
--
[-] Omae no subete no kichi wa ore no mono da. [-]

2001-11-02 23:42:25

by Alan

> I've already talked with SiS. They are insisting that they will write the
> drivers themselves, they dont want to release datasheets to anyone. The
> reply I got (Thu, 25 Oct 2001) they said they are working on OSS drivers
> in-house, and ALSA drivers are next.

I guess in the mean time SIS board are best avoided. Who knows if they'll
ever actually deliver

2001-11-03 12:54:38

by Alan

> > I guess in the mean time SIS board are best avoided. Who knows if they'll
> > ever actually deliver
>
> Why suggesting to avoid this board that looks pretty fast, stable and is
> very cheap? A reasonable and low cost Sound board will fit and will give
> far better sound quality for less CPU load.

because so many people have bought things on the promise of vendor support
that never appeared or was at best minimal

> Btw, I just purchased a CMEDIA 8738 based sound board for less than 20
> euros (119 FF to be precise).

Nice cards

2001-11-03 19:45:58

by Andi Kleen

Dan Hollis <[email protected]> writes:

> On 2 Nov 2001, John Fremlin wrote:
> > Who to talk to at SiS? They have a dubious web interface for sales and
> > marketing requests that I used, but I'd prefer to email someone who
> > knows what a datasheet actually is ;-)
> > Alsa doesn't advertise any contact with SiS at all :-(
>
> I've already talked with SiS. They are insisting that they will write the
> drivers themselves, they dont want to release datasheets to anyone. The
> reply I got (Thu, 25 Oct 2001) they said they are working on OSS drivers
> in-house, and ALSA drivers are next.

ALSA drivers seem to work. A standard SuSE 7.2 install with yast2 alsa installer
had no problems with producing sound on a k7s5a.

The sound quality is somewhat poor however; but even with another sound card
this board is cheaper than the alternativesa and works very fast.

-Andi (happy user of a k7s5a with a sblive)

2001-11-04 00:56:24

by Alan

> ALSA drivers seem to work. A standard SuSE 7.2 install with yast2 alsa installer
> had no problems with producing sound on a k7s5a.
>
> The sound quality is somewhat poor however; but even with another sound card
> this board is cheaper than the alternativesa and works very fast.

What driver does it install ? - Soundblaster 8bit ?