2001-12-06 22:35:14

by Calin A. Culianu

Subject: Stupid PCI Bit-naming convention question

In my attempts to investigate whether or not my m/b is afflicted by the
VIA KT266 hardware bug at device 1106:3099 register 0x95, bits 5,6,7, I
have a dumb question: Namely, how are bits numbered?

I would assume that bits are numbered from smallest value to largest,
indexed at 0, so that bit 7 is the '128' component of a byte and bit 0 is
the '1' component.. correct?

2001-12-06 23:52:37

by H. Peter Anvin

By author: "Calin A. Culianu" <[email protected]>
In newsgroup: linux.dev.kernel

> In my attempts to investigate whether or not my m/b is afflicted by the
> VIA KT266 hardware bug at device 1106:3099 register 0x95, bits 5,6,7, I
> have a dumb question: Namely, how are bits numbered?
>
> I would assume that bits are numbered from smallest value to largest,
> indexed at 0, so that bit 7 is the '128' component of a byte and bit 0 is
> the '1' component.. correct?

Yes.

-hpa
--
<[email protected]> at work, <[email protected]> in private!
http://www.zytor.com/~hpa/puzzle.txt <[email protected]>