2001-12-11 18:31:51

by Samuel Maftoul

Subject: [OT?] SuSe kernel

In SuSe's kernel there is a nice feature but I cannot found where is
the code that does it and so I cannot play with it 8-).
The thing I'm talking about is grpahical boot + graphical first console.
I glanced at include/asm-i386/linux_logo.h but it doesn't differ.
Can someone help me ?
Sam

2001-12-11 20:04:41

by Jan-Marek Glogowski

Subject: Re: [OT?] SuSe kernel

Hi Sam

> In SuSe's kernel there is a nice feature but I cannot found where is
> the code that does it and so I cannot play with it 8-).
> The thing I'm talking about is grpahical boot + graphical first console.
> I glanced at include/asm-i386/linux_logo.h but it doesn't differ.
> Can someone help me ?

Install the package "kernel-source" from zq (source) series.
The patch in the archives you have to look for is named ...boot-splash...
The important files in the patched kernel tree are:

linux/drivers/video/fbcon-splash.[ch]

There are some more changes in the whole fbcon* files (for alpha blending
etc.).

HTH

Jan-Marek

2001-12-11 20:15:53

by David Odin

On Tue, Dec 11, 2001 at 07:30:48PM +0100, Samuel Maftoul wrote:
> In SuSe's kernel there is a nice feature but I cannot found where is
> the code that does it and so I cannot play with it 8-).
> The thing I'm talking about is grpahical boot + graphical first console.
> I glanced at include/asm-i386/linux_logo.h but it doesn't differ.
> Can someone help me ?
> Sam

This is the so-called Linux-Progress-Patch created by Cajus Pollmeier.
You can grab it there: http://lpp.FreeLords.org/

I've adapted it for newer kernel. See this: http://www.dindinx.org/lpp

Regards,

DindinX

by Stefan Reinauer

* Samuel Maftoul <[email protected]> [011211 19:30]:
> In SuSe's kernel there is a nice feature but I cannot found where is
> the code that does it and so I cannot play with it 8-).
> The thing I'm talking about is grpahical boot + graphical first console.
> I glanced at include/asm-i386/linux_logo.h but it doesn't differ.
> Can someone help me ?
> Sam

The boot splash patch I made for SuSE allows you to use any jpg picture
as a background console. You can define the text area freely on this
picture.

Have a look at http://www.suse.de/~stepan/bootsplash/ to find the latest
patches. Currently they only apply against a kernel already patched with
bootlogo version patch by Gerard Sharp <[email protected]> (this patch can
be downloaded from above location, too)

Any ideas/bug reports are welcome!

Best regards,
Stefan Reinauer

--
Ok

2001-12-12 19:30:59

by skidley

On Wed, 12 Dec 2001, Stefan Reinauer wrote:

> * Samuel Maftoul <[email protected]> [011211 19:30]:
> > In SuSe's kernel there is a nice feature but I cannot found where is
> > the code that does it and so I cannot play with it 8-).
> > The thing I'm talking about is grpahical boot + graphical first console.
> > I glanced at include/asm-i386/linux_logo.h but it doesn't differ.
> > Can someone help me ?
> > Sam
>
> The boot splash patch I made for SuSE allows you to use any jpg picture
> as a background console. You can define the text area freely on this
> picture.
>
> Have a look at http://www.suse.de/~stepan/bootsplash/ to find the latest
> patches. Currently they only apply against a kernel already patched with
> bootlogo version patch by Gerard Sharp <[email protected]> (this patch can
> be downloaded from above location, too)
>
> Any ideas/bug reports are welcome!
>
> Best regards,
> Stefan Reinauer