2001-02-05 19:07:28

by Samuel Flory

Subject: Re: [reiserfs-list] NFS and reiserfs

Dirk Mueller wrote:

> On Mon, 05 Feb 2001, Grahame Jordan wrote:
>
> > Should I convert all of my NFS filesystems to ext2 or is there another
> > option?
>
> If you use kernel 2.4.x: there are patches for NFS support.

You can also try the rpms below. They seem to work for me, but your
results may vary. If you really want to be able to gracefully recover
you need to force sync on all of your exports.

http://ftp.valinux.com/pub/people/flory/2.4.1/

The patch is here:
ftp://ftp.namesys.com/pub/reiserfs-for-2.4/linux-2.4.0-reiserfs-3.6.25-nfs.diff

--
Solving people's computer problems always
requires more hardware be given to you.

2001-02-05 19:12:28

by Josh Durham

Any problems with NFSv3? I had tons of issues, but NFSv2 seems to work
just fine. It was with SGI clients.

- Josh

On Mon, 5 Feb 2001, Samuel Flory wrote:

> Dirk Mueller wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, 05 Feb 2001, Grahame Jordan wrote:
> >
> > > Should I convert all of my NFS filesystems to ext2 or is there another
> > > option?
> >
> > If you use kernel 2.4.x: there are patches for NFS support.
> >

> You can also try the rpms below. They seem to work for me, but your
> results may vary. If you really want to be able to gracefully recover
> you need to force sync on all of your exports.
>
> http://ftp.valinux.com/pub/people/flory/2.4.1/
>

> The patch is here:
> ftp://ftp.namesys.com/pub/reiserfs-for-2.4/linux-2.4.0-reiserfs-3.6.25-nfs.diff

2001-02-05 19:53:21

by Samuel Flory

I had some intial issues with my v3 mounts, but it appears that it was
related to hitting the ulimit on a make -j 16. (It's nice to work for a
hardware company, and have access to an 8-way.) In case since upping my
ulimit on the client kernel builds seem to work just with a server power
off in the middle.

I generally run everything v2, and don't have the issue of non-linux
clients. So I'm not sure how much help I can be. I seem to remember
someone (you?) talking about v3 issues with SGI boxes under 2.4 on the
nfs list. I didn't much pay much attention as it wasn't an issue I
could help with.

http://sourceforge.net/mail/?group_id=14

Josh Durham wrote:

> Any problems with NFSv3? I had tons of issues, but NFSv2 seems to work
> just fine. It was with SGI clients.
>
> - Josh
>
> On Mon, 5 Feb 2001, Samuel Flory wrote:
>
> > Dirk Mueller wrote:

> > > If you use kernel 2.4.x: there are patches for NFS support.
> > >

> > You can also try the rpms below. They seem to work for me, but your
> > results may vary. If you really want to be able to gracefully recover
> > you need to force sync on all of your exports.
> >
> > http://ftp.valinux.com/pub/people/flory/2.4.1/
> >

> > The patch is here:
> > ftp://ftp.namesys.com/pub/reiserfs-for-2.4/linux-2.4.0-reiserfs-3.6.25-nfs.diff

--
Solving people's computer problems always
requires more hardware be given to you.
(The Second Rule of Hardware Acquisition)
Samuel J. Flory <[email protected]>

2001-02-06 00:56:25

by Paul Jakma

On Mon, 5 Feb 2001, Samuel Flory wrote:

> someone (you?) talking about v3 issues with SGI boxes under 2.4 on the
> nfs list. I didn't much pay much attention as it wasn't an issue I
> could help with.

that might have been me...

the issues were related to how IRIX nfs client expects server to
behave wrt to device files and other special files. First problemo
was fixed, second one (FIFOs) is apparently undefined for NFS.

also have problems with linux needing a bit of tuning wrt to NFS over
lossy links. (eg a 10<->100MB bridging hub).

but these are very very specific issues. IME if you have a good
network connection and you don't need IRIX to be diskless hanging off
a Linux NFS server then NFSv3 works extremely well.

regards,
--
Paul Jakma [email protected] [email protected]
PGP5 key: http://www.clubi.ie/jakma/publickey.txt