2001-04-16 19:55:47

by Rik van Riel

Subject: 2.4.3-ac{6,7} LVM hang

Hi,

2.4.3-ac4 seems to work great on my test box (UP K6-2 with SCSI
disk), but 2.4.3-ac6 and 2.4.3-ac7 hang pretty hard when I try
to access any of the logical volumes on my test box.

The following changelog entry in Linus' changelog suggests me
whom to bother: ;)
- Jens Axboe: LVM and loop fixes

regards,

Rik

http://www.surriel.com/
http://www.conectiva.com/ http://distro.conectiva.com.br/

2001-04-16 20:41:54

by Jens Axboe

Subject: Re: 2.4.3-ac{6,7} LVM hang

On Mon, Apr 16 2001, Rik van Riel wrote:
> Hi,
>
> 2.4.3-ac4 seems to work great on my test box (UP K6-2 with SCSI
> disk), but 2.4.3-ac6 and 2.4.3-ac7 hang pretty hard when I try
> to access any of the logical volumes on my test box.
>
> The following changelog entry in Linus' changelog suggests me
> whom to bother: ;)
> - Jens Axboe: LVM and loop fixes

Heh :-). I'd categorize the lvm fixes as "obviously right", haven't
checked why they seem to break for some people. Maybe the minor indexing
of LVM is broken, in which case attached patch should make it go again
(and the LVM crew needs to look into that). Also fixes a slight error in
the IO error path.

--
Jens Axboe

Attachments:
(No filename) (684.00 B)
lvm-eout-2 (499.00 B)

by Arjan Filius

Subject: Re: [linux-lvm] 2.4.3-ac{6,7} LVM hang

Hello,

Same here as reported.
restoring lvm.c from 2.4.3 into 2.4.4-pre? "fixes" this. (tested not ac's
kernel)

Greatings,

On Mon, 16 Apr 2001, Rik van Riel wrote:

> Hi,
>
> 2.4.3-ac4 seems to work great on my test box (UP K6-2 with SCSI
> disk), but 2.4.3-ac6 and 2.4.3-ac7 hang pretty hard when I try
> to access any of the logical volumes on my test box.
>
> The following changelog entry in Linus' changelog suggests me
> whom to bother: ;)
> - Jens Axboe: LVM and loop fixes
>
> regards,
>
> Rik
> --
> Virtual memory is like a game you can't win;
> However, without VM there's truly nothing to lose...
>
> http://www.surriel.com/
> http://www.conectiva.com/ http://distro.conectiva.com.br/

Arjan Filius
mailto:[email protected]

2001-04-19 21:51:36

by Jens Axboe

On Thu, Apr 19 2001, Arjan Filius wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Same here as reported.
> restoring lvm.c from 2.4.3 into 2.4.4-pre? "fixes" this. (tested not ac's
> kernel)

Does attached patch fix it?

--
Jens Axboe

Attachments:
(No filename) (210.00 B)
lvm-244p4-1 (369.00 B)

by Ulrich Drepper

Jens Axboe <[email protected]> writes:

> Does attached patch fix it?

Yes.

--
---------------. ,-. 1325 Chesapeake Terrace
Ulrich Drepper \ ,-------------------' \ Sunnyvale, CA 94089 USA

2001-04-20 02:04:48

by Rik van Riel

On 19 Apr 2001, Ulrich Drepper wrote:
> Jens Axboe <[email protected]> writes:
>
> > Does attached patch fix it?
>
> Yes.

Jens, I guess we should submit these patches to Alan and Linus
now. This way we'll get a working LVM again.

Waiting for the next official LVM release (and the next set of
bugs) doesn't seem like a very productive way to me ;)

regards,

Rik

http://www.surriel.com/
http://www.conectiva.com/ http://distro.conectiva.com.br/

2001-04-20 06:01:55

by Arjan Filius

Hello Jens,

Yes this fixes it.

I'm running 2.4.4-pre4 with only your patch applied.

Greatings,

--
Arjan Filius
mailto:[email protected]

2001-04-20 08:47:40

by Jens Axboe

On Thu, Apr 19 2001, Rik van Riel wrote:
> On 19 Apr 2001, Ulrich Drepper wrote:
> > Jens Axboe <[email protected]> writes:
> >
> > > Does attached patch fix it?
> >
> > Yes.
>
> Jens, I guess we should submit these patches to Alan and Linus
> now. This way we'll get a working LVM again.

Already done

--
Jens Axboe