2001-04-17 00:55:05

by Mr. James W. Laferriere

Subject: Is printing broke on sparc ?

Hello All , On Linux-Sparc I can send data to the /dev/par0 &
/dev/lp0 but the data appears to be garbled .

Sending the below printcap to either of the above ports ...
<begin printcap>
# /etc/printcap
#
# Please don't edit this file directly unless you know what you are doing!
# Be warned that the control-panel printtool requires a very strict format!
# Look at the printcap(5) man page for more info.
#
# This file can be edited with the printtool in the control-panel.

##PRINTTOOL3## LOCAL POSTSCRIPT 300x300 letter {} PostScript Default {}
lp:\
:sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp:\
:mx#0:\
:sh:\
:lp=/dev/lp0:\
:if=/var/spool/lpd/lp/filter:
<end printcap>

.. ie: cat /etc/printcap > /dev/lp0 (or /dev/par0)
gets me :

/c#eodiecnyotai rhernili s to rpaemn
s eehpo o-.ROLPR0 roif{\=sl:x
/p:ao/lr
which is where it rolls off the paper .
printer is a DECLaser 2200 . I have the PostScript option card
for it , but when it is installed -notthing- gets output so I
tried the above experiment without it installed . With the option
installed the display shows 'PS Waiting' Then shortly 'PS
Processing' then 'PS Ready' . This happens whether I cat .ps
files or not . I beleive that something is garbling the data
being sent .

I did have this running quite well off of a i386 running linux
not to long ago . So I have to be doing something wrong .

ANy help appreciated . Tia , JimL

Options turned on in the .config

CONFIG_PARPORT=y
# CONFIG_PARPORT_PC is not set
# CONFIG_PARPORT_AMIGA is not set
# CONFIG_PARPORT_MFC3 is not set
# CONFIG_PARPORT_ATARI is not set
CONFIG_PARPORT_SUNBPP=y
# CONFIG_PARPORT_OTHER is not set
CONFIG_PARPORT_1284=y

CONFIG_PRINTER=y

# dmesg | grep -b1 par

1135-Starting kswapd v1.8
1156:parport0: sunbpp at 0x1ffec800000
1190:parport0: cpp_mux: aa55f00f52ad51(18)
1228:parport0: cpp_daisy: aa5500ff(18)
1262:parport0: assign_addrs: aa5500ff(18)
1299:parport0: cpp_mux: aa55f00f52ad51(98)
1337:parport0: cpp_daisy: aa5500ff(98)
1371:parport0: assign_addrs: aa5500ff(98)
1408-Console: switching to colour frame buffer device 128x54
--
1527-pty: 256 Unix98 ptys configured
1559:lp0: using parport0 (interrupt-driven).

| James W. Laferriere | System Techniques | Give me VMS |
| Network Engineer | 25416 22nd So | Give me Linux |
| [email protected] | DesMoines WA 98198 | only on AXP |

by Jesse Pollard

"Mr. James W. Laferriere" <[email protected]>:
[snip]
> .. ie: cat /etc/printcap > /dev/lp0 (or /dev/par0)
> gets me :
>
> /c#eodiecnyotai rhernili s to rpaemn
> s eehpo o-.ROLPR0 roif{\=sl:x
> /p:ao/lr
> which is where it rolls off the paper .
> printer is a DECLaser 2200 . I have the PostScript option card
> for it , but when it is installed -notthing- gets output so I
> tried the above experiment without it installed . With the option
> installed the display shows 'PS Waiting' Then shortly 'PS
> Processing' then 'PS Ready' . This happens whether I cat .ps
> files or not . I beleive that something is garbling the data
> being sent .

I have the 5100 printer - It is expecting PCL when the PS option is not
set. With it set, it only prints postscript.

What I did was to pass the data through enscript/nenscript to convert
to postscript. Then I had no problems at all.

Jesse I Pollard, II
Email: [email protected]

by Tim Waugh

On Mon, Apr 16, 2001 at 05:54:41PM -0700, Mr. James W. Laferriere wrote:

> # /etc/printcap
> #
> # Please don't edit this file directly unless you know what you are doing!
> # Be warned that the control-panel printtool requires a very strict format!
> # Look at the printcap(5) man page for more info.
> #
> # This file can be edited with the printtool in the control-panel.
>
> ##PRINTTOOL3## LOCAL POSTSCRIPT 300x300 letter {} PostScript Default {}
> lp:\
> :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp:\
> :mx#0:\
> :sh:\
> :lp=/dev/lp0:\
> :if=/var/spool/lpd/lp/filter:
[...]
> /c#eodiecnyotai rhernili s to rpaemn
> s eehpo o-.ROLPR0 roif{\=sl:x
> /p:ao/lr

This looks like characters are getting missed out, rather than
anything getting garbled. The above characters all appear in
/etc/printcap in the order shown. Obviously there isn't enough
redundancy in /etc/printcap for the print-out to be useful despite
that. :-)

Please try adjusting the 'udelay (1)' lines in
drivers/parport/ieee1284_ops.c:parport_ieee1284_write_compat to be
larger delays (for example, try replacing the 1s with 2s, or 5s, and
see if that makes things better).

Let me know what you need to change to get it working.

Thanks,
Tim.
*/

Attachments:
(No filename) (1.28 kB)
(No filename) (232.00 B)

by Mr. James W. Laferriere

On Tue, 17 Apr 2001, Tim Waugh wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 16, 2001 at 05:54:41PM -0700, Mr. James W. Laferriere wrote:
> > # /etc/printcap
> > # Please don't edit this file directly unless you know what you are doing!
> > # Be warned that the control-panel printtool requires a very strict format!
> > # Look at the printcap(5) man page for more info.
> > # This file can be edited with the printtool in the control-panel.
> > ##PRINTTOOL3## LOCAL POSTSCRIPT 300x300 letter {} PostScript Default {}
> > lp:\
> > :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp:\
> > :mx#0:\
> > :sh:\
> > :lp=/dev/lp0:\
> > :if=/var/spool/lpd/lp/filter:
> [...]
> > /c#eodiecnyotai rhernili s to rpaemn
> > s eehpo o-.ROLPR0 roif{\=sl:x
> > /p:ao/lr

> This looks like characters are getting missed out, rather than
> anything getting garbled. The above characters all appear in
> /etc/printcap in the order shown. Obviously there isn't enough
> redundancy in /etc/printcap for the print-out to be useful despite
> that. :-)
;-) .

> Please try adjusting the 'udelay (1)' lines in
> drivers/parport/ieee1284_ops.c:parport_ieee1284_write_compat to be
> larger delays (for example, try replacing the 1s with 2s, or 5s, and
> see if that makes things better).
I am going to look and see if there might be a ioctl for that
function . Failing that I shall recompile the kernel with each
of those values & test until successful or it seems futile .

> Let me know what you need to change to get it working.
> Thanks,
> Tim.
> */
Tnx , JimL
| James W. Laferriere | System Techniques | Give me VMS |
| Network Engineer | 25416 22nd So | Give me Linux |
| [email protected] | DesMoines WA 98198 | only on AXP |

by Mr. James W. Laferriere

Hello Tim ,

On Tue, 17 Apr 2001, Mr. James W. Laferriere wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Apr 2001, Tim Waugh wrote:
> > [...]
> > > /c#eodiecnyotai rhernili s to rpaemn
> > > s eehpo o-.ROLPR0 roif{\=sl:x
> > > /p:ao/lr
> > This looks like characters are getting missed out, rather than
> > anything getting garbled. The above characters all appear in
> > /etc/printcap in the order shown. Obviously there isn't enough
> > redundancy in /etc/printcap for the print-out to be useful despite
> > that. :-)
> ;-) .
> > Please try adjusting the 'udelay (1)' lines in
> > drivers/parport/ieee1284_ops.c:parport_ieee1284_write_compat to be
> > larger delays (for example, try replacing the 1s with 2s, or 5s, and
> > see if that makes things better).
> I am going to look and see if there might be a ioctl for that
> function . Failing that I shall recompile the kernel with each
> of those values & test until successful or it seems futile .
Ok , There isn't a sysctl available to do that . I am also a
little worried about the 'none' in ths below .

root@udragon:~# sysctl -A | grep -i parp
dev.parport.parport0.devices.active = none
dev.parport.parport0.modes =
dev.parport.parport0.dma = -1
dev.parport.parport0.irq = 6814784
dev.parport.parport0.base-addr = 2198696099840 0
dev.parport.parport0.spintime = 500
dev.parport.default.spintime = 500
dev.parport.default.timeslice = 200

But I do see timeslices in the 'lp' of /proc/...
dir /proc/sys/dev/parport/parport0/devices/lp
total 0
0 dr-xr-xr-x 2 root root 0 Apr 17 17:26 ./
0 dr-xr-xr-x 3 root root 0 Apr 17 17:26 ../
0 -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 Apr 17 17:26 timeslice

Off to build 3 kernels on this old tub . Twyl , JimL

On Tue, Apr 17, 2001 at 05:28:13PM -0700, Mr. James W. Laferriere wrote:

> Ok , There isn't a sysctl available to do that . I am also a
> little worried about the 'none' in ths below .
>
> root@udragon:~# sysctl -A | grep -i parp
> dev.parport.parport0.devices.active = none

Don't be: unless the printer driver is actually using the port at the
instant that you look at the sysctl, it'll say none. It's normal.
If you are printing at the time you look, keep checking sysctl and you
will see 'lp' there sometimes.

Tim.
*/

Attachments: