2001-04-30 15:56:32

by cacook

Subject: Common GUI Config for All Users

Looking for the best way to give all users a common desktop, which comes from one source (for easy administration).

Found copying my /root/.gnome & .sawfish directories to a user home breaks the user's GUI, implying a symlink wouldn't work. I am told .gnome & .sawfish can be copied to /etc/skel to give common look for new users, but need ongoing single-source control. Besides, I tried copying root's config files to skel & it broke user GUIs.

Security is also a concern, so couldn't symlink into root anyway.

Symlinked root's panel file & folder to non-prived user's, but adding/removing an applet in root does not seem to affect the user's desktop.

Recommendations & resources welcomed, please.
--
C.

The best way out is always through.
- Robert Frost A Servant to Servants, 1914

2001-04-30 16:06:06

by Mohammad A. Haque

Subject: Re: Common GUI Config for All Users

On Mon, 30 Apr 2001 [email protected] wrote:

> Looking for the best way to give all users a common desktop, which comes from one source (for easy administration).

This list doesn't deal with what you are asking. Try
http://www.linux.com and see if anything/anyone there can help you.

Mohammad A. Haque http://www.haque.net/
[email protected]

"Alcohol and calculus don't mix. Project Lead
Don't drink and derive." --Unknown http://wm.themes.org/

by cacook

Thank you for the =constructive= answer Mohammad. I have thusfar only received criticism for my question, with no further information, which I think is destructive to the spirit of the list, and to the culture.

Those who act like pricks toward newcomers should be treated as such, and I will remember them.
--

"Mohammad A. Haque" wrote:

> On Mon, 30 Apr 2001 [email protected] wrote:
>
> > Looking for the best way to give all users a common desktop, which comes from one source (for easy administration).
>
> This list doesn't deal with what you are asking. Try
> http://www.linux.com and see if anything/anyone there can help you.

> Mohammad A. Haque http://www.haque.net/
> [email protected]
>
> "Alcohol and calculus don't mix. Project Lead
> Don't drink and derive." --Unknown http://wm.themes.org/
> [email protected]

by cacook

This was my point... Mohammad WAS the only one to help and not criticize.

I did not pass along the crap I got from the 'bad attitudes', like Jasper Jans, Mark Hahn, & Paul Dunne. All grief, no guidance nor respect. Tough to be a newbie.
--

James Stevenson wrote:

> Hi
>
> >Thank you for the =constructive= answer Mohammad. I have thusfar only received criticism for my question, with no further
> > information, which I think is destructive to the spirit of the list, and to the culture.
>
> i belive he did give you extra information look at the section below
> is it just me or is there a web site address in there.
> also dont expect information to be handed to you on a plate.
>
> >> This list doesn't deal with what you are asking. Try
> >> http://www.linux.com and see if anything/anyone there can help you.

> Check Out: http://stev.org
> E-Mail: [email protected]
> 6:50pm up 6 days, 5:38, 4 users, load average: 0.95, 1.13, 0.83

2001-04-30 18:23:08

by Vladimir Dergachev

On Mon, 30 Apr 2001 [email protected] wrote:

> This was my point... Mohammad WAS the only one to help and not criticize.
>
> I did not pass along the crap I got from the 'bad attitudes', like Jasper Jans, Mark Hahn, & Paul Dunne. All grief, no guidance nor respect. Tough to be a newbie.

grief: no need for that if you can do what you want
guidance: source, archive, RFC, FAQ, README
respect: decide what you want to do, do it, be happy

Vladimir Dergachev

> --
> C.
>
> The best way out is always through.
> - Robert Frost A Servant to Servants, 1914
>

> James Stevenson wrote:
>
> > Hi
> >
> > >Thank you for the =constructive= answer Mohammad. I have thusfar only received criticism for my question, with no further
> > > information, which I think is destructive to the spirit of the list, and to the culture.
> >
> > i belive he did give you extra information look at the section below
> > is it just me or is there a web site address in there.
> > also dont expect information to be handed to you on a plate.

> > --
> > Check Out: http://stev.org
> > E-Mail: [email protected]
> > 6:50pm up 6 days, 5:38, 4 users, load average: 0.95, 1.13, 0.83
>

> -

by James Stevenson

Hi

yeah but i did not see those posts
anyway you can either run X as a nice window
system adn run gtk or kde on it i prefere gtk for my needs
because i find kde a bit heavy

On Mon, 30 Apr 2001 [email protected] wrote:

> This was my point... Mohammad WAS the only one to help and not criticize.
>
> I did not pass along the crap I got from the 'bad attitudes', like Jasper Jans, Mark Hahn, & Paul Dunne. All grief, no guidance nor respect. Tough to be a newbie.
> --
> C.
>
> The best way out is always through.
> - Robert Frost A Servant to Servants, 1914
>

> James Stevenson wrote:
>
> > Hi
> >
> > >Thank you for the =constructive= answer Mohammad. I have thusfar only received criticism for my question, with no further
> > > information, which I think is destructive to the spirit of the list, and to the culture.
> >
> > i belive he did give you extra information look at the section below
> > is it just me or is there a web site address in there.
> > also dont expect information to be handed to you on a plate.

> > --
> > Check Out: http://stev.org
> > E-Mail: [email protected]
> > 6:50pm up 6 days, 5:38, 4 users, load average: 0.95, 1.13, 0.83

Check Out: http://stev.org
E-Mail: [email protected]
7:30pm up 6 days, 6:18, 4 users, load average: 0.58, 0.98, 1.11

2001-04-30 20:07:06

by Michael Rothwell

To whom are you referring?

-M