2001-07-25 17:39:28

by TO. Wilderman Ceren

Subject: problems with dmfe.o in 2.4.7 (fwd)

Hello linux.kernel deja newsgroup & mailing list users!!.

I have a problem., i compile this morning the kernel 2.4.7, when i
reboot and load the new compiled bzImage, the module is not loaded by
insmod., errors found:

/lib/modules/2.4.7/kernel/drivers/net/dmfe.o: init_module: No such
device
Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters,
including invalid IO or IRQ parameters
/lib/modules/2.4.7/kernel/drivers/net/dmfe.o: insmod
/lib/modules/2.4.7/kernel/drivers/net/dmfe.o failed
/lib/modules/2.4.7/kernel/drivers/net/dmfe.o: insmod dmfe failed

Help Me Please!!., i need load this module into my new kernel.
Need configure IPTABLES & NAT., i'm working with IPAliasing with a
Digital Tulip Ethernet compatible.

I'm trying test with the same tulip.o and in the ifconfig status., have
many errors in TX/RX and finally dead, suspend the traffic and the
interface (eth1) is lost.

Wilderman Ceren
CIOH - Armada Nacional Colombia

2001-07-25 18:07:21

by Richard B. Johnson

Subject: Re: problems with dmfe.o in 2.4.7 (fwd)

On Wed, 25 Jul 2001, TO. Wilderman Ceren wrote:

> Hello linux.kernel deja newsgroup & mailing list users!!.
>

> I have a problem., i compile this morning the kernel 2.4.7, when i
> reboot and load the new compiled bzImage, the module is not loaded by
> insmod., errors found:
>
> /lib/modules/2.4.7/kernel/drivers/net/dmfe.o: init_module: No such
> device
> Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters,
> including invalid IO or IRQ parameters
> /lib/modules/2.4.7/kernel/drivers/net/dmfe.o: insmod
> /lib/modules/2.4.7/kernel/drivers/net/dmfe.o failed
> /lib/modules/2.4.7/kernel/drivers/net/dmfe.o: insmod dmfe failed

[SNIPPED...]
In /etc/modules.conf, look at eth0 alias and/or eth1 alias. It
should be the name of the driver you intend to use. You don't
have to reboot for tests, just put the right stuff in and
do your `ifconfig` stuff by hand.

Also, sometime, with your new kernel running, do `depmod -a` this
will update the dependencies.

Cheers,
Dick Johnson

was handled in the BIOS, I found that there aren't any.

2001-07-25 20:10:47

by TO. Wilderman Ceren

Ok., I'm trying the eth1 (Davicom 9102) with tulip module shared with eth0
(Digital).

Errors now printed in the console:

eth1: transmit timed out
eth1: 21140 transmit timed out, status fc740000,
eth1: transmit timed out, switching to 100baseTx
eth1: transmit timed out
eth1: 21140 transmit timed out, status fc740000
eth1: transmit timed out, switching to MII media.
eth1: Out-of-sync dirty pointer, 4611 vs. 4628.
eth1: Setting full-duplex based on MII#1
eth1: transmit timed out
eth1: transmit timed out

--

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
Wilderman Ceren

2001-07-25 21:12:31

by Tobias Ringstrom

On Wed, 25 Jul 2001, TO. Wilderman Ceren wrote:

> Ok., I'm trying the eth1 (Davicom 9102) with tulip module shared with eth0
> (Digital).

Did you succeed to load the dmfe.o module? It should work just fine. The
tulip driver works fine for the Davicom 9102 chip for most people, but not
all for some reason.

The dmfe driver does support more Davicom chips (and bugs) than the tulip
driver right now. Please let me know if you experince further problems
with the dmfe driver.

/Tobias