2001-10-01 11:51:22

by Pau Aliagas

Subject: more goodies from 2.4.9-ac16 on

I've been having tons of zombie processes in all the 2.4 series till
2.4.9-ac16 where they simply disappeared.

I haven't made any change neither in glibc nor in the applications that
produced the zombies, they have vanished fomr this kernel release, so I'm
pretty sure that something strange was happening.

The applications that produced more zombies were galeon and mysql, the
ones that spawn more frequently.

Anyway, it is solved now.

Pau

2001-10-01 13:06:14

by Pau Aliagas

Subject: Re: more goodies from 2.4.9-ac16 on

On Mon, 1 Oct 2001, Pau Aliagas wrote:

> I've been having tons of zombie processes in all the 2.4 series till
> 2.4.9-ac16 where they simply disappeared.

Sorry to followup myself... I was too fast :( as the zombies are still
there. Many processes in Z state ([galeon-bin <defunct>]) til the parent
dies and only then all die.

I run out of processes if I don't take care from time to time.

Pau

2001-10-01 13:37:00

by Alan

> Sorry to followup myself... I was too fast :( as the zombies are still
> there. Many processes in Z state ([galeon-bin <defunct>]) til the parent
> dies and only then all die.

That is correct behaviour. It means the parent is buggy