2001-10-03 17:46:24

by Subba Rao

Subject: bad blocks and rebooting

Hello

I have a system setup as a black box. If the system is powered
off accidentally, and upon powering on the system keeps rebooting
after trying to do the file system consistency check. The file
system message is to run "ef2fsck -v -y <partition>. Is there
anyway to force this check at lilo prompt?

Thanks for any help.
--

Subba Rao
[email protected] http://members.home.net/subba9/

=> Time is relative. Here is a new way to look at time. <=
http://www.smcinnovations.com

2001-10-03 19:11:01

by Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams

Subject: Re: bad blocks and rebooting

On Wed, 3 Oct 2001, Subba Rao wrote:

> I have a system setup as a black box. If the system is powered
> off accidentally, and upon powering on the system keeps rebooting
> after trying to do the file system consistency check. The file
> system message is to run "ef2fsck -v -y <partition>. Is there
> anyway to force this check at lilo prompt?

That's what journaled filesystems like ext3, ReiserFS, XFS, and JFS are for.

--
Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams <[email protected]>

2001-10-04 23:24:28

by Bernd Eckenfels

In article <[email protected]> you wrote:
> I have a system setup as a black box. If the system is powered
> off accidentally, and upon powering on the system keeps rebooting
> after trying to do the file system consistency check. The file
> system message is to run "ef2fsck -v -y <partition>. Is there
> anyway to force this check at lilo prompt?

You can modify the init scripts to search for an init arg. Most init scripts
check for /forchecheck. For an embedded box it is MUCH better to have the
filesystem readonly or at least use a journaled FS.

Greetings
Bernd