2001-10-06 15:18:01

by David Gómez

Subject: Some ext2 errors

Hi,

First i thought this errors has some relation with kernel 2.4.10 and
e2fsprogs, but i switched back to 2.4.9 and again i got this
ext2_check_page error.

Oct 6 17:11:08 fargo kernel: EXT2-fs error (device ide0(3,1)):
ext2_check_page: bad entry in directory #423505: unaligned directory entry
- offset=0, inode=6517874, rec_len=12655, name_len=48
Oct 6 17:11:08 fargo kernel: hda: status error: status=0x58 { DriveReady
SeekComplete DataRequest }
Oct 6 17:11:08 fargo kernel: hda: drive not ready for command
Oct 6 17:11:08 fargo kernel: hdb: ATAPI DVD-ROM drive, 512kB Cache
Oct 6 17:11:08 fargo kernel: Uniform CD-ROM driver Revision: 3.12
Oct 6 17:11:09 fargo kernel: VFS: Disk change detected on device
ide0(3,64)

Any hints are welcome, thanks.

David G?mez

"The question of whether computers can think is just like the question of
whether submarines can swim." -- Edsger W. Dijkstra

2001-10-06 19:13:12

by Mike Fedyk

Subject: Re: Some ext2 errors

On Sat, Oct 06, 2001 at 05:15:22PM +0200, [email protected] wrote:

> Hi,
>
> First i thought this errors has some relation with kernel 2.4.10 and
> e2fsprogs, but i switched back to 2.4.9 and again i got this
> ext2_check_page error.
>
> Oct 6 17:11:08 fargo kernel: EXT2-fs error (device ide0(3,1)):
> ext2_check_page: bad entry in directory #423505: unaligned directory entry
> - offset=0, inode=6517874, rec_len=12655, name_len=48

This error caused by below error...

> Oct 6 17:11:08 fargo kernel: hda: status error: status=0x58 { DriveReady
> SeekComplete DataRequest }

I've only seen this myself when I've been messing with hdparm on a ide drive

> Oct 6 17:11:08 fargo kernel: hda: drive not ready for command
> Oct 6 17:11:08 fargo kernel: hdb: ATAPI DVD-ROM drive, 512kB Cache
> Oct 6 17:11:08 fargo kernel: Uniform CD-ROM driver Revision: 3.12
> Oct 6 17:11:09 fargo kernel: VFS: Disk change detected on device
> ide0(3,64)
>

> Any hints are welcome, thanks.

Yeah. If you can't figure out hdparm, leave it alone.

> David G?mez

Mike

2001-10-06 23:05:48

by Riley Williams

Hi Mike.

>> First i thought this errors has some relation with kernel 2.4.10
>> and e2fsprogs, but i switched back to 2.4.9 and again i got this
>> ext2_check_page error.
>>
>> Oct 6 17:11:08 fargo kernel: EXT2-fs error (device ide0(3,1)):
>> ext2_check_page: bad entry in directory #423505: unaligned directory entry
>> - offset=0, inode=6517874, rec_len=12655, name_len=48

> This error caused by below error...

>> Oct 6 17:11:08 fargo kernel: hda: status error: status=0x58 { DriveReady
>> SeekComplete DataRequest }

> I've only seen this myself when I've been messing with hdparm on
> a ide drive

I see this regularly on one of my systems, and hdparm has never even
been insatalled on that system. If I put the drive in a different
system, the drive reports clean, but whatever drive I put in here
regularly reports that problem.

As far as I can tell, it's a problem with the PSU in the computer in
question, as I can swap ANYTHING else in there, motherboard included,
without the problem going away on that drive, but as soon as I swap
the PSU, the problems vanish - even if I put a PSU with a lower rating
in its place.

>> Oct 6 17:11:08 fargo kernel: hda: drive not ready for command
>> Oct 6 17:11:08 fargo kernel: hdb: ATAPI DVD-ROM drive, 512kB Cache
>> Oct 6 17:11:08 fargo kernel: Uniform CD-ROM driver Revision: 3.12
>> Oct 6 17:11:09 fargo kernel: VFS: Disk change detected on device
>> ide0(3,64)
>>

>> Any hints are welcome, thanks.

> Yeah. If you can't figure out hdparm, leave it alone.

Who says hdparm has anything to do with it?

Best wishes from Riley.

2001-10-07 13:18:19

by David Gómez

On Sun, 7 Oct 2001, Riley Williams wrote:

> I see this regularly on one of my systems, and hdparm has never even
> been insatalled on that system. If I put the drive in a different
> system, the drive reports clean, but whatever drive I put in here
> regularly reports that problem.

Yes, i also have seen this error also when not using hdparm, so it's not
the cause of this ext2 errors.

> As far as I can tell, it's a problem with the PSU in the computer in
> question, as I can swap ANYTHING else in there, motherboard included,
> without the problem going away on that drive, but as soon as I swap
> the PSU, the problems vanish - even if I put a PSU with a lower rating
> in its place.

If i see this error show more times i'll try to replace the PSU. First i
think is has some relation with my VIA chipset, but if you tell me you
have changed even your motherboard... ;)

> > Yeah. If you can't figure out hdparm, leave it alone.
>
> Who says hdparm has anything to do with it?

He says, it seems he has very deep knowledge of hdparm 'secrets'.

> Best wishes from Riley.

Thanks

David G?mez

"The question of whether computers can think is just like the question of
whether submarines can swim." -- Edsger W. Dijkstra

2001-10-07 18:02:21

by Mike Fedyk

Subject: IDE DMA errors [was: Some ext2 errors]

On Sun, Oct 07, 2001 at 03:15:33PM +0200, David G?mez wrote:
> On Sun, 7 Oct 2001, Riley Williams wrote:
>
> > I see this regularly on one of my systems, and hdparm has never even
> > been insatalled on that system. If I put the drive in a different
> > system, the drive reports clean, but whatever drive I put in here
> > regularly reports that problem.
>
> Yes, i also have seen this error also when not using hdparm, so it's not
> the cause of this ext2 errors.

Oh, sorry, I blamed before I had facts... my bad.

> > As far as I can tell, it's a problem with the PSU in the computer in
> > question, as I can swap ANYTHING else in there, motherboard included,
> > without the problem going away on that drive, but as soon as I swap
> > the PSU, the problems vanish - even if I put a PSU with a lower rating
> > in its place.
>
> If i see this error show more times i'll try to replace the PSU. First i
> think is has some relation with my VIA chipset, but if you tell me you
> have changed even your motherboard... ;)

It may not be your MB or drive, but an interaction between them.

I.E. Your bios could've told the linux driver to use a higher dma level than
the drive likes.

Try running "hdparm -d0 /dev/hda" (since your drive is hda in this case...)

And see if the problem goes away. If it does, then try Multimode dma, if
(-X34)
you get errors, try single mode (probably -X31), if you get no errors there,
try UDMA mode 2 (-X66, also make sure you have a 80 line ide cable) and see
if any of the problems come back.

> > > Yeah. If you can't figure out hdparm, leave it alone.
> >
> > Who says hdparm has anything to do with it?
>
> He says, it seems he has very deep knowledge of hdparm 'secrets'.

Again, sorry for being presumptuous. I've only been able to cause this with
hdparm. Maybe I'm just not using new enough hardware...

Mike

2001-10-07 22:38:55

by Riley Williams

Subject: Re: IDE DMA errors [was: Some ext2 errors]

Hi Mike.

>>> I see this regularly on one of my systems, and hdparm has never
>>> even been insatalled on that system. If I put the drive in a
>>> different system, the drive reports clean, but whatever drive I
>>> put in here regularly reports that problem.

>> Yes, i also have seen this error also when not using hdparm, so
>> it's not the cause of this ext2 errors.

> Oh, sorry, I blamed before I had facts... my bad.

I've done that in the past - it's easy to do - but nowadays, I tend to
wait for more facts before assuming - although I'm by no means perfect
in that regard...

>>> As far as I can tell, it's a problem with the PSU in the computer
>>> in question, as I can swap ANYTHING else in there, motherboard
>>> included, without the problem going away on that drive, but as
>>> soon as I swap the PSU, the problems vanish - even if I put a PSU
>>> with a lower rating in its place.

>> If i see this error show more times i'll try to replace the PSU.
>> First I think is has some relation with my VIA chipset, but if you
>> tell me you have changed even your motherboard... ;)

> It may not be your MB or drive, but an interaction between them.
> I.E. Your bios could've told the linux driver to use a higher
> dma level than the drive likes.

Always possible, but I'd consider it unlikely that using the SAME
motherboard and drive, but with a different PSU would have any affect
whatsoever if such was the reason.

I would presume that the old PSU was just too noisy for that
particular drive, and a new PSU is rather quieter in that regard.

> Try running "hdparm -d0 /dev/hda" (since your drive is hda in
> this case...) And see if the problem goes away. If it does, then
> try Multimode dma, if (-X34) you get errors, try single mode
> (probably -X31), if you get no errors there, try UDMA mode 2
> (-X66, also make sure you have a 80 line ide cable) and see if
> any of the problems come back.

Unfortunately, none of that is relevant in my case...see below...

>>> Who says hdparm has anything to do with it?

>> He says, it seems he has very deep knowledge of hdparm 'secrets'.

> Again, sorry for being presumptuous. I've only been able to cause
> this with hdparm. Maybe I'm just not using new enough hardware...

The system in question is my network printserver, which has a 386sx/16
processor and a very definitely 40 line cable with no support for
anything else. The hard drive is an antique Maxtor 800M one, and I
have no problem assuring you that it's not possible to buy that model
new, and hasn't been for some years now...

Best wishes from Riley.

2001-10-08 00:32:35

by Mike Fedyk

On Sun, Oct 07, 2001 at 11:39:04PM +0100, Riley Williams wrote:
> Hi Mike.

Hey Riley,

> > It may not be your MB or drive, but an interaction between them.
> > I.E. Your bios could've told the linux driver to use a higher
> > dma level than the drive likes.
>
> Always possible, but I'd consider it unlikely that using the SAME
> motherboard and drive, but with a different PSU would have any affect
> whatsoever if such was the reason.
>
> I would presume that the old PSU was just too noisy for that
> particular drive, and a new PSU is rather quieter in that regard.

But we don't know what is happening with David's system.

To rule out some possible causes David, you should run these tests:
memtest86 (http://www.memtest86.org
badblocks -s /dev/hda (read only hard drive test, newer versions have a -p
option for safe write mode tests too)

> > Try running "hdparm -d0 /dev/hda" (since your drive is hda in
> > this case...) And see if the problem goes away. If it does, then
> > try Multimode dma, if (-X34) you get errors, try single mode
> > (probably -X31), if you get no errors there, try UDMA mode 2
> > (-X66, also make sure you have a 80 line ide cable) and see if
> > any of the problems come back.
>
> Unfortunately, none of that is relevant in my case...see below...

But maybe for david... David, try the tests above with read only badblocks...

> >> He says, it seems he has very deep knowledge of hdparm 'secrets'.
>
> > Again, sorry for being presumptuous. I've only been able to cause
> > this with hdparm. Maybe I'm just not using new enough hardware...
>
> The system in question is my network printserver, which has a 386sx/16
> processor and a very definitely 40 line cable with no support for
> anything else. The hard drive is an antique Maxtor 800M one, and I
> have no problem assuring you that it's not possible to buy that model
> new, and hasn't been for some years now...

It would probably recognize a 2gb drive, which you could easily raid 1 for
your server, assuming that there are two ide connectors on that old 386 MB.

This just adds another possible test... Buying a new power supply.

David, let us know what you find...

Mike

> Best wishes from Riley.

2001-10-08 00:54:18

by David Gómez

Hi,

> [...]
>
> But we don't know what is happening with David's system.
>
> To rule out some possible causes David, you should run these tests:
> memtest86 (http://www.memtest86.org
> badblocks -s /dev/hda (read only hard drive test, newer versions have a -p
> option for safe write mode tests too)

I checked yesterday the memory with memtest86, no errors, and i don't
think the problem is caused by some bad blocks. Using another disk, which
contains and ext3 partition, gave me another strange error (different from
the ext2 one i posted to the list) with the ide drive handling, and it
appeared only one time. So i think the guess that the problem is caused by
the power supply is right..., so i'll get a new one and let's see if the
problem doesn't show anymore ;)

Thanks

David G?mez

"The question of whether computers can think is just like the question of
whether submarines can swim." -- Edsger W. Dijkstra

2001-10-08 17:28:37

by Riley Williams

Hi Mike.

>>> It may not be your MB or drive, but an interaction between them.
>>> I.E. Your bios could've told the linux driver to use a higher dma
>>> level than the drive likes.

>> Always possible, but I'd consider it unlikely that using the SAME
>> motherboard and drive, but with a different PSU would have any
>> affect whatsoever if such was the reason.

>> I would presume that the old PSU was just too noisy for that
>> particular drive, and the new PSU is rather quieter in that regard.

> But we don't know what is happening with David's system.

Only David can know that - I can only comment on what I experienced
here, and suggest that he consider that his problem MIGHT be the same.

> To rule out some possible causes David, you should run these tests:

> memtest86
> badblocks -s /dev/hda

> The former can be downloaded from http://www.memtest86.org and the
> latter is a standard read only hard drive test, newer versions have
> a -p option for safe write mode tests too.

I would certainly agree with both of those, which I regard as being
standard tests - the former for ANY problem that isn't an obvious
compilation problem, and the latter for anything hard drive related.

>>> Try running "hdparm -d0 /dev/hda" (since your drive is hda in
>>> this case...) And see if the problem goes away. If it does, then
>>> try Multimode dma, if (-X34) you get errors, try single mode
>>> (probably -X31), if you get no errors there, try UDMA mode 2
>>> (-X66, also make sure you have a 80 line ide cable) and see if
>>> any of the problems come back.

>> Unfortunately, none of that is relevant in my case...see below...

> But maybe for David...

Agreed.

> David, try the tests above with read only badblocks...

Agreed.

>>> Again, sorry for being presumptuous. I've only been able to cause
>>> this with hdparm. Maybe I'm just not using new enough hardware...

>> The system in question is my network printserver, which has a
>> 386sx/16 processor and a very definitely 40 line cable with no
>> support for anything else. The hard drive is an antique Maxtor 800M
>> one, and I have no problem assuring you that it's not possible to
>> buy that model new, and hasn't been for some years now...

> It would probably recognize a 2gb drive, which you could easily raid
> 1 for your server, assuming that there are two ide connectors on
> that old 386 MB.

Just one connector, with the hard drive on hda and a 250M IDE-ZIP on hdb
occupying the master and slave slots respectively. I probably could put
2G drives on it, but it does what I need as it stands, so I've no reason
to do so - besides, none of the local shops sell 2G drives anyway (the
smallest I can lay my hands on is 10G nowadays).

> This just adds another possible test... Buying a new power supply.

Unfortunately, even PSU's fail given enough time...

> David, let us know what you find...

I'll be interested as well...

Best wishes from Riley.

2001-10-08 18:27:40

by David Gómez

> > But we don't know what is happening with David's system.
>
> Only David can know that - I can only comment on what I experienced
> here, and suggest that he consider that his problem MIGHT be the same.

I've already tested the memory with memtest86 and the disk with badblocks,
and no errors appeared so i think the cause is really the PSU, but unlike
a memory error it doesn't show up very frequently. If i see it more times
i'll replace the power supply with a new one.

> Unfortunately, even PSU's fail given enough time...

Yep, now i know ;)

> > David, let us know what you find...
>
> I'll be interested as well...

I'll let you know if i change my PSU. Thanks both of you for your help