2001-10-10 16:17:30

by Jeffrey W. Baker

Subject: Invalidate: busy buffer at shutdown with 2.4.11

What does this message mean in 2.4.11 at shutdown time:

Invalidate: busy buffer

I'm afraid it means "now your RAID is fucked."

-jwb

2001-10-10 16:30:50

by Linus Torvalds

Subject: Re: Invalidate: busy buffer at shutdown with 2.4.11

In article <Pine.LNX.4.33.0110100917460.234-100000@desktop>,
Jeffrey W. Baker <[email protected]> wrote:
>What does this message mean in 2.4.11 at shutdown time:
>
>Invalidate: busy buffer
>
>I'm afraid it means "now your RAID is fucked."

No, it really means: raid and LVM are a bit too happy to invalidate the
underlying block devices, and the warning should be harmless.

Unless, of course, all your data has magically gone up in smoke ;)

Linus

2001-10-10 16:47:34

by Chris Mason

On Wednesday, October 10, 2001 09:18:39 AM -0700 "Jeffrey W. Baker" <[email protected]> wrote:

> What does this message mean in 2.4.11 at shutdown time:
>
> Invalidate: busy buffer
>
> I'm afraid it means "now your RAID is fucked."

No, it means someone called invalidate_buffers on a device that still
had buffers in use. This happened with older kernels too, 2.4.11
just complains on the console now.

The in use buffers are left alone, your raid should be fine.

-chris