2001-10-30 18:01:26

by P.Agenbag

Subject: 2.4.13 kernel and ext3???

Hi
I just installed RedHat 7.2 with the 2.4.7 kernel. Low and behold, when
I tried to install the latest kernels, I see that there are many options
in the RedHat 2.4.7 kernel that are not even in the 2.4.13 kernel! How
does this work? Also, I see many (EXPERIMENTAL) greyd-out areas in the
kernel as well as other greyd out areas which are not experimental, yet
won't allow me to select it ( reiserfs for example ) .
How can I get reiserfs to compile into the kernel, and to satsify my
curiosity, how do you enable the experimental options?

Does it mean that if there is a fairly large difference between the
RedHat 2.4.7 and the stock one from kernel.org, that they are not really
the same? ie, does anyone foresee any future problems with redhat adding
all these extra features to their kernel and people who would like to
upgrade to a newer version ( for one, I selected ext3 during install,
yet, now trying to install 2.4.13, I must revert back to ext2...)

Thanks

2001-10-30 18:08:26

by Rik van Riel

Subject: Re: 2.4.13 kernel and ext3???

On Tue, 30 Oct 2001, P.Agenbag wrote:

> Does it mean that if there is a fairly large difference between the
> RedHat 2.4.7 and the stock one from kernel.org, that they are not
> really the same?

Indeed, but that's a good thing because people often want/need
more features or bugfixes than what's in the standard kernel.

> ie, does anyone foresee any future problems with redhat adding
> all these extra features to their kernel and people who would like to
> upgrade to a newer version ( for one, I selected ext3 during install,
> yet, now trying to install 2.4.13, I must revert back to ext2...)

ext3 has been in Alan's kernels for a while now, you can
always upgrade to a new -ac kernel and keep using ext3.

Also, the fact that ext3 isn't available in 2.4 -linus
doesn't sound like a good reason to not make this useful
feature available to the users of Linux distributions ;)

regards,

Rik
--
DMCA, SSSCA, W3C? Who cares? http://thefreeworld.net/

by Nikita Danilov

P.Agenbag writes:
> Hi
> I just installed RedHat 7.2 with the 2.4.7 kernel. Low and behold, when
> I tried to install the latest kernels, I see that there are many options
> in the RedHat 2.4.7 kernel that are not even in the 2.4.13 kernel! How
> does this work? Also, I see many (EXPERIMENTAL) greyd-out areas in the
> kernel as well as other greyd out areas which are not experimental, yet
> won't allow me to select it ( reiserfs for example ) .
> How can I get reiserfs to compile into the kernel, and to satsify my
> curiosity, how do you enable the experimental options?

Turn on first option "Prompt for development and/or incomplete
code/drivers" in the first configuration sub-menu "Code maturity level
options".

Read namesys.com/faq.html

> Does it mean that if there is a fairly large difference between the
> RedHat 2.4.7 and the stock one from kernel.org, that they are not really
> the same? ie, does anyone foresee any future problems with redhat adding
> all these extra features to their kernel and people who would like to
> upgrade to a newer version ( for one, I selected ext3 during install,
> yet, now trying to install 2.4.13, I must revert back to ext2...)
>
> Thanks

Nikita.

2001-10-30 18:15:56

by Joel Jaeggli

On Tue, 30 Oct 2001, P.Agenbag wrote:

> Hi
> I just installed RedHat 7.2 with the 2.4.7 kernel. Low and behold, when
> I tried to install the latest kernels, I see that there are many options
> in the RedHat 2.4.7 kernel that are not even in the 2.4.13 kernel! How
> does this work?

patches, patches more patches...

> Also, I see many (EXPERIMENTAL) greyd-out areas in the
> kernel as well as other greyd out areas which are not experimental, yet
> won't allow me to select it ( reiserfs for example ) .
> How can I get reiserfs to compile into the kernel, and to satsify my
> curiosity, how do you enable the experimental options?

in the code maturity level options select:

Prompt for development and/or incomplete code/drivers

> Does it mean that if there is a fairly large difference between the
> RedHat 2.4.7 and the stock one from kernel.org, that they are not really
> the same?

much of what's different are drivers that either haven't yet been accepted
into the tree or won't be accepted for various reasons...

> ie, does anyone foresee any future problems with redhat adding
> all these extra features to their kernel and people who would like to
> upgrade to a newer version ( for one, I selected ext3 during install,
> yet, now trying to install 2.4.13, I must revert back to ext2...)

you can add ext3 by either grabbing the andrew morton et al patch from...

http://www.uow.edu.au/~andrewm/linux/ext3/

or by appling one of the ac series patches from alan.

I suspect when you see a new development tree be created (shortly) that a
significant amount of code will migrate into that.

joelja

> Thanks
>

> -

Joel Jaeggli [email protected]
Academic User Services [email protected]
PGP Key Fingerprint: 1DE9 8FCA 51FB 4195 B42A 9C32 A30D 121E
It is clear that the arm of criticism cannot replace the criticism of
arms. Karl Marx -- Introduction to the critique of Hegel's Philosophy of
the right, 1843.

2001-10-30 23:01:34

by Alan

> Also, the fact that ext3 isn't available in 2.4 -linus
> doesn't sound like a good reason to not make this useful
> feature available to the users of Linux distributions ;)

Getting ext3 into the base kernel is a fairly high priority.

2001-10-30 23:54:05

by Alessandro Suardi

"P.Agenbag" wrote:

[snip]
> upgrade to a newer version ( for one, I selected ext3 during install,
> yet, now trying to install 2.4.13, I must revert back to ext2...)

Moving back and forth between ext2 and ext3 works transparently,
see the docs here:

http://www.uow.edu.au/~andrewm/linux/ext3/ext3-usage.html

--alessandro

"we live as we dream alone / to break the spell we mix with the others
we were not born in isolation / but sometimes it seems that way"
(R.E.M., live intro to 'World Leader Pretend')