2001-11-01 19:15:33

by Mike Fedyk

Subject: Code from ~2.4.4 going into Solaris 9 Alpha?

Hi,

I just looked at http://perso.wanadoo.fr/levenez/unix/history.html, and
noticed a line from linux over to solaris 9 alpha.

Does anyone know what code they copied, and if they're now making solaris
GPL compatible?

Mike

2001-11-01 19:53:46

by Danek Duvall

Subject: Re: Code from ~2.4.4 going into Solaris 9 Alpha?

On Thu, Nov 01, 2001 at 11:15:08AM -0800, Mike Fedyk wrote:

> I just looked at http://perso.wanadoo.fr/levenez/unix/history.html, and
> noticed a line from linux over to solaris 9 alpha.
>
> Does anyone know what code they copied, and if they're now making solaris
> GPL compatible?

That might simply be the inclusion of various "freeware" packages --
shells, gzip, apache, samba, and so forth, not necessarily kernel code.
All of those packages come with full source as well, so they should be
compliant with the GPL if that's how they happen to be licensed.

Of course, the line should probably be connected to Solaris 8, since
that's when most of these things started shipping with it.

Danek

2001-11-01 21:11:28

by Mike Fedyk

On Thu, Nov 01, 2001 at 11:53:19AM -0800, Danek Duvall wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 01, 2001 at 11:15:08AM -0800, Mike Fedyk wrote:
>
> > I just looked at http://perso.wanadoo.fr/levenez/unix/history.html, and
> > noticed a line from linux over to solaris 9 alpha.
> >
> > Does anyone know what code they copied, and if they're now making solaris
> > GPL compatible?
>
> That might simply be the inclusion of various "freeware" packages --
> shells, gzip, apache, samba, and so forth, not necessarily kernel code.
> All of those packages come with full source as well, so they should be
> compliant with the GPL if that's how they happen to be licensed.
>
> Of course, the line should probably be connected to Solaris 8, since
> that's when most of these things started shipping with it.

Oh, sorry about that...

I didn't mean to start a flame thread (like someone accused me of doing), it
just looked interesting to me, and I don't remember anything in kernel
traffic (which I was reading at the time) or on lkml (which I have been
reading more recently)... so I figured someone here would know more.

Mike

2001-11-01 21:29:59

by Chris Ricker

On Thu, 1 Nov 2001, Mike Fedyk wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 01, 2001 at 11:53:19AM -0800, Danek Duvall wrote:
> > On Thu, Nov 01, 2001 at 11:15:08AM -0800, Mike Fedyk wrote:
> >
> > > I just looked at http://perso.wanadoo.fr/levenez/unix/history.html, and
> > > noticed a line from linux over to solaris 9 alpha.
> > >
> > > Does anyone know what code they copied, and if they're now making
> > > solaris GPL compatible?

<snip>

Solaris 9/ia32 includes software called lxrun (actually slip-streamed during
Solaris 8, as Sun is so fond of doing for some brain-dead reason) which
implements the Linux/ia32 ABI on Solaris/ia32. It's much like the Linux
compatibility layer all the *BSDs have these days.

Solaris 9 on both Intel and Sparc also implements more of the Linux (really
primarily GNU glibc) APIs. The idea is that Linux apps are now just a
recompile away from running on Solaris (assuming they're sane and don't have
32-bit / 64-bit or endian issues to be sorted out), with no portage
necessary....

I'd imagine these two features are what the line reflects. No code theft
has taken place, and Solaris is definitely not GPL'ed.

later,
chris

2001-11-02 09:01:13

by Christoph Hellwig

In article <[email protected]> you wrote:
> Solaris 9/ia32 includes software called lxrun (actually slip-streamed during
> Solaris 8, as Sun is so fond of doing for some brain-dead reason) which
> implements the Linux/ia32 ABI on Solaris/ia32. It's much like the Linux
> compatibility layer all the *BSDs have these days.

Lxrun is rather different than the BSD's linux emulation layer.

Whilst the BSD's intercept linux syscalls at kernel level, lxrun gets
the int80 syscalls dispatched back to userspace.

It was originally developed by Mike Davidson at SCO (now Caldera) and
for OpenServer and UnixWare, it is distributed under a Mozilla-style
license.

Note that lxrun has a lot of problems with more advanced linux binaries
and thus has been replaced by a kernel-level emulation in OpenUnix8, the
successor to UnixWare.

So all in all Sun is reusing old technology here 8)

Christoph

--
Whip me. Beat me. Make me maintain AIX.