2001-11-12 14:31:49

by Mike Dresser

Subject: Re: 2.2.20-ide patches

> Mike,
>
> I have never created any 2.2.20 patches, and I have little or no plans to
> backport anything else. With 2.5 on the verge and I have no consulting
> clients asking for 2.2.X as of this date, it is not practical for me to do
> such a task. However, should your company wish to pay for the work great.
> See the reality is the game of doing things for kicks is almost over,
> because it was all done with other people's money. I am sorry but there
> are no more other peoples' free money out there. Where free development
> meant that somebody else was paying the bills.

My company is a cheap group of people :D They don't pay their support
staff(read: me!) even close to market rate, so I couldn't expect them to
go pay for something they think is free as in free beer. I already have a
supervisor pushing to replace these machines with overpriced Compaq NT
servers. :/

> I am quite serious given that I am guessing that ::
> "The Windsor Machine Group"
> has benefitted in the past and depends on the subsystem now heavily.

I can do without it until 2.4.x becomes stable. My only use of it is on
one or two machines with broken bios's that if i upgrade, should become
compliant with the large hard drive that is in there now. I don't use the
Promise controllers yet, so that removes my other reason to use the ide
patches. I can't rely on the ide patches actually, because of the HP
Colorado 7/14 and 10/20's in service, which break when the machine is
patched.

> In the world of Linux and everything else, money drives product.
>
> Oh and I expect to get huge flames and heat over this issue, but everyone
> know that I have taken the worst and dished the most of the former two
> items. Someday when I have nothing better to do, I may consider.

I see your point, and don't disagree with it, you've put a lot of work
into this.

Thank you for your work,
Mike Dresser

2001-11-12 16:48:41

by Andre Hedrick

On Mon, 12 Nov 2001, Mike Dresser wrote:

> My company is a cheap group of people :D They don't pay their support
> staff(read: me!) even close to market rate, so I couldn't expect them to
> go pay for something they think is free as in free beer. I already have a
> supervisor pushing to replace these machines with overpriced Compaq NT
> servers. :/

Well pass it to them that I will be happy to fix their problems when it is
a Microsoft problem, but a double or triple the rate. He needs to get
clue and see that the support contract he will be paying for will exceed
the cost of supporting what they are depend upon now under Linux.

I have no problems with people needed to learn lessons the hardware way
and if you send me his contact information, I will address it for you.
This will explain that he is needed support and that costs money;
regardless, of the OS and hardware.

> I see your point, and don't disagree with it, you've put a lot of work
> into this.

Thanks for the understanding note.

Regards,

Andre Hedrick
CEO/President, LAD Storage Consulting Group
Linux ATA Development
Linux Disk Certification Project