2001-11-13 00:44:19

by John Weber

Subject: PCMCIA and 2.4.15-pre4

I am having trouble with 2.4.15 and PCMCIA. Anyone seeing similar
problems?

2001-11-13 01:03:49

by William Stearns

Subject: Re: PCMCIA and 2.4.15-pre4

Good day, John,

On Mon, 12 Nov 2001, John Weber wrote:

> I am having trouble with 2.4.15 and PCMCIA. Anyone seeing similar
> problems?

I hate to say it, but your question isn't all that useful in its
current form. What kinds of problems? What pcmcia version? What kernel
configuration? What error messages? Functional problems? Compiling
problems? Cosmetic problems? Are they reproducable? How can we
reproduce the problem?
Please see http://www.stearns.org/doc/howtoask.v8.html
Cheers,
- Bill

"Architect: someone who knows the difference between what could be
done and what should be done".
-- Larry McVoy <[email protected]>
William Stearns ([email protected]). Mason, Buildkernel, named2hosts,
and ipfwadm2ipchains are at: http://www.pobox.com/~wstearns
LinuxMonth; articles for Linux Enthusiasts! http://www.linuxmonth.com

by John Weber

John Weber wrote:

> I am having trouble with 2.4.15 and PCMCIA. Anyone seeing similar
> problems?

I should add:

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 440BX/ZX - 82443BX/ZX Host bridge
(rev 03)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 440BX/ZX - 82443BX/ZX AGP bridge
(rev 03)
00:05.0 Bridge: Intel Corporation 82371AB PIIX4 ISA (rev 02)
00:05.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82371AB PIIX4 IDE (rev 01)
00:05.3 Bridge: Intel Corporation 82371AB PIIX4 ACPI (rev 03)
00:0b.0 CardBus bridge: Toshiba America Info Systems ToPIC95 PCI to
Cardbus Bridge with ZV Support (rev 20)
00:0b.1 CardBus bridge: Toshiba America Info Systems ToPIC95 PCI to
Cardbus Bridge with ZV Support (rev 20)

Let me know if you need any more information.

2001-11-13 02:50:32

by John Weber

> I hate to say it, but your question isn't all that useful in its
> current form. What kinds of problems? What pcmcia version? What kernel
> configuration? What error messages? Functional problems? Compiling
> problems? Cosmetic problems? Are they reproducable? How can we
> reproduce the problem?

Actually, my note was supposed to be longer... but I had a little
technical difficulty in getting the question out. My machine completely
crashed actually...
funny that I thought it was just a kernel thing.

Thanks anyway.

2001-11-13 03:01:13

by William Stearns

Good evening, John,

On Mon, 12 Nov 2001, John Weber wrote:

> > I hate to say it, but your question isn't all that useful in its
> > current form. What kinds of problems? What pcmcia version? What kernel
> > configuration? What error messages? Functional problems? Compiling
> > problems? Cosmetic problems? Are they reproducable? How can we
> > reproduce the problem?
>
> Actually, my note was supposed to be longer... but I had a little
> technical difficulty in getting the question out. My machine completely
> crashed actually...

We can all commiserate; kernel crashes are annoying.

> funny that I thought it was just a kernel thing.

It may very well be. What error messages did you see? What
symptoms? What was happening at the time it crashed?

> Thanks anyway.

I've come off badly and apologize. We really are all here to
identify and fix kernel problems. I wasn't writing the above to badger
you, but to encourage you to provide as much detail as you can to help us
help you.
Cheers,
- Bill

"Usenet is like a herd of performing elephants with diarrhea;
massive, difficult to redirect, awe-inspiring, entertaining, and a source
of mind-boggling amounts of excrement when you least expect it."
-- Anon
(Courtesy of someone at Redhat, perhaps Elliot Lee?)