2001-11-19 22:44:46

by Alex Buell

Subject: 3Com 3c905c invalid checksum?

The network card in the docking station I plug my Inspirion 8100 in, is a
3Com 3c905C Tornado but apparently at boot time when it is identified, it
prints "***INVALID CHECKSUM 00e0**. I can't ping other boxes on the
network, nor can I ping other boxes from the laptop. I've double checked
and triple checked, and the configuration is indeed correct.

What does the error message INVALID CHECKSUM means?

--
Come the revolution, humourless gits'll be first up against the wall.

http://www.tahallah.demon.co.uk

2001-11-19 23:13:40

by Andrew Morton

Subject: Re: 3Com 3c905c invalid checksum?

Alex Buell wrote:

> The network card in the docking station I plug my Inspirion 8100 in, is a
> 3Com 3c905C Tornado but apparently at boot time when it is identified, it
> prints "***INVALID CHECKSUM 00e0**. I can't ping other boxes on the
> network, nor can I ping other boxes from the laptop. I've double checked
> and triple checked, and the configuration is indeed correct.
>
> What does the error message INVALID CHECKSUM means?

It means that 3com keep on changing the EEPROM checksum
algorithm and nobody has got around to reverse engineering
it on the 905C. It's harmless.

Usual routine: check the routing, check the counters
in `ifconfig'. If it's really a driver problem, please
send me a description as per the final section of
Documentation/networking/vortex.txt

-

2001-11-19 23:19:40

by Stephen Clouse

2001-11-20 14:28:10

by Alex Buell

Subject: Re: 3Com 3c905c invalid checksum? [FOLLOW-UP]

On Mon, 19 Nov 2001, Alex Buell wrote:

> The network card in the docking station I plug my Inspirion 8100 in,
> is a 3Com 3c905C Tornado but apparently at boot time when it is
> identified, it prints "***INVALID CHECKSUM 00e0**. I can't ping other
> boxes on the network, nor can I ping other boxes from the laptop. I've
> double checked and triple checked, and the configuration is indeed
> correct.

Thanks to all who replied. It was indeed, caused by an old kernel on a
distribution. I really should have thrown it out and used a more up to
date distribution!

--
Broken hearted, but not down.

http://www.tahallah.demon.co.uk