2001-11-24 01:01:34

by Ian Molton

Subject: DecStation 4000 info wanted

Hi there...

Im wondering... does anyone have information on the care and feeding of
Decstation4000s ?

I have a DecStation 4000 (mips based, IIRC), which I would LOVE to run
Linux on.

It has no internal OS AFAICT, although it has a SCSI HDD, and some sort of
bootloader.

It used to boot over a network.

what do I need to do to make it boot linux?

2001-11-24 01:28:34

by Joel Jaeggli

Subject: Re: DecStation 4000 info wanted

having played with some dec stations in the past... I'd recomend trying
netbsd...

joelja

On Sat, 24 Nov 2001, Ian Molton wrote:

> Hi there...
>
> Im wondering... does anyone have information on the care and feeding of
> Decstation4000s ?
>
> I have a DecStation 4000 (mips based, IIRC), which I would LOVE to run
> Linux on.
>
> It has no internal OS AFAICT, although it has a SCSI HDD, and some sort of
> bootloader.
>
> It used to boot over a network.
>
> what do I need to do to make it boot linux?
> -

Joel Jaeggli [email protected]
Academic User Services [email protected]
PGP Key Fingerprint: 1DE9 8FCA 51FB 4195 B42A 9C32 A30D 121E
It is clear that the arm of criticism cannot replace the criticism of
arms. Karl Marx -- Introduction to the critique of Hegel's Philosophy of
the right, 1843.

2001-11-24 01:35:58

by Mr. James W. Laferriere

Hello Joel , Have they fianlly gotten the graphics engines
working for decstations ? Last time I played with BSD on
decstations there was -no- graphics capacities available .
I hope that has changed . Tia , JimL

On Fri, 23 Nov 2001, Joel Jaeggli wrote:

> having played with some dec stations in the past... I'd recomend trying
> netbsd...
>
> joelja
>
> On Sat, 24 Nov 2001, Ian Molton wrote:
>
> > Hi there...
> >
> > Im wondering... does anyone have information on the care and feeding of
> > Decstation4000s ?
> >
> > I have a DecStation 4000 (mips based, IIRC), which I would LOVE to run
> > Linux on.
> >
> > It has no internal OS AFAICT, although it has a SCSI HDD, and some sort of
> > bootloader.
> >
> > It used to boot over a network.
> >
> > what do I need to do to make it boot linux?
> > -
> > the body of a message to [email protected]

> Joel Jaeggli [email protected]
> Academic User Services [email protected]
> PGP Key Fingerprint: 1DE9 8FCA 51FB 4195 B42A 9C32 A30D 121E

| James W. Laferriere | System Techniques | Give me VMS |
| Network Engineer | P.O. Box 854 | Give me Linux |
| [email protected] | Coudersport PA 16915 | only on AXP |

by William Lee Irwin III

On Sat, Nov 24, 2001 at 01:03:13AM +0000, Ian Molton wrote:
> Im wondering... does anyone have information on the care and feeding of
> Decstation4000s ?
> I have a DecStation 4000 (mips based, IIRC), which I would LOVE to run
> Linux on.
> It has no internal OS AFAICT, although it has a SCSI HDD, and some sort of
> bootloader.
> It used to boot over a network.
> what do I need to do to make it boot linux?

Short answer: kernel hacking.

You might want to subscribe to [email protected] and visit
irc.openprojects.net #mipslinux, which are more appropriate fora for
this. There is also a site dedicated to Linux on DecStations at

http://decstation.unix-ag.org/

which distributes a port of 2.2.x to DecStations. It makes no reference
to DecStation 4000's so you may well be faced with porting it yourself.

Cheers,
Bill