2001-12-12 16:24:14

by Chen Shiyuan

Subject: Kernel-2.4.17pre8 & invalidate: busy buffer

Hello,

Currently while running on a RedHat Linux 7.2 box with kernel-
2.4.17pre8, whenever I run the "hdparm -t /dev/sda3" command, the
following error message will appear around 33+ times
in /var/log/messages as well as "dmesg" .

invalidate: busy buffer

The machine in question is a Dell PowerEdge 2550 with an AACRAID
controller and 2 x 18GB HDs in RAID-1 configuration and /dev/sda3 being
mount as / .

Is this a bug in the kernel or is it caused by some hardware faults?

Does anyone have any solution or workaround to this problem?

Many thanks in advance for any assistance!

(Please CC: replies to me as I am not subscribed to the list.)

2001-12-12 16:35:24

by Joe Wong

Subject: IP -> hostname lookup in kernel module?

Hi,

Is there such a thing in kernel like gethostbyaddr in user space?

TIA.

- Joe

2001-12-12 16:43:35

by antirez

Subject: Re: IP -> hostname lookup in kernel module?

On Thu, Dec 13, 2001 at 12:36:06AM +0800, Joe Wong wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is there such a thing in kernel like gethostbyaddr in user space?

There isn't, but you can create an UDP socket and to the query,
or run an userspace resolver daemon that talks with your
module, or some other trick.

BTW it isn't the kind of stuff to do in kernelspace.
You may think about do it in a post-processing stage
if possible, or to write a module that exports to userspace
what you need from the kernel and do the rest in userspace.

--
Salvatore Sanfilippo <[email protected]>
http://www.kyuzz.org/antirez

2001-12-12 19:46:40

by H. Peter Anvin

Followup to: <20011212173517.G17064@blu>
By author: antirez <[email protected]>
In newsgroup: linux.dev.kernel

> There isn't, but you can create an UDP socket and to the query..

No you can't. There is no way that you can find out which nameservers
are configured.

> or run an userspace resolver daemon that talks with your
> module, or some other trick.
>
> BTW it isn't the kind of stuff to do in kernelspace.
> You may think about do it in a post-processing stage
> if possible, or to write a module that exports to userspace
> what you need from the kernel and do the rest in userspace.

Indeed.

-hpa
--
<[email protected]> at work, <[email protected]> in private!
http://www.zytor.com/~hpa/puzzle.txt <[email protected]>

2001-12-13 11:27:16

by Benjamin Herrenschmidt

Subject: Re: Kernel-2.4.17pre8 & invalidate: busy buffer

>Hello,
>
>Currently while running on a RedHat Linux 7.2 box with kernel-
>2.4.17pre8, whenever I run the "hdparm -t /dev/sda3" command, the
>following error message will appear around 33+ times
>in /var/log/messages as well as "dmesg" .
>
>invalidate: busy buffer
>
>The machine in question is a Dell PowerEdge 2550 with an AACRAID
>controller and 2 x 18GB HDs in RAID-1 configuration and /dev/sda3 being
>mount as / .

That's interesting. I've been seeing this message for some time now
(I think since around 2.4.15 at least, maybe longer). I modified the
printk to display the device number, and at that time, it seemed to
always originate from the partition that had a mounted HFS volume.
So I just added that to my (long) list of HFS bugs to fix when I
find enough time to dive into it.

However, I just got a report from some users having the same message
displayed when using parted and with no HFS partition (HFS filesystem
not loaded). I personally see this messages when using/leaving MacOnLinux
emulator (which is opening the block device of a partition that is also
mounted), or when shutting down the box.

Al, any clue ? Something you want me to do to track it further down ?

Ben.

2001-12-13 11:45:07

by Andreas Steinmetz

You will see this message with LVM too when issuing vgscan/vgchange.

On 13-Dec-2001 Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
>>Hello,
>>
>>Currently while running on a RedHat Linux 7.2 box with kernel-
>>2.4.17pre8, whenever I run the "hdparm -t /dev/sda3" command, the
>>following error message will appear around 33+ times
>>in /var/log/messages as well as "dmesg" .
>>
>>invalidate: busy buffer
>>
>>The machine in question is a Dell PowerEdge 2550 with an AACRAID
>>controller and 2 x 18GB HDs in RAID-1 configuration and /dev/sda3 being
>>mount as / .
>
> That's interesting. I've been seeing this message for some time now
> (I think since around 2.4.15 at least, maybe longer). I modified the
> printk to display the device number, and at that time, it seemed to
> always originate from the partition that had a mounted HFS volume.
> So I just added that to my (long) list of HFS bugs to fix when I
> find enough time to dive into it.
>
> However, I just got a report from some users having the same message
> displayed when using parted and with no HFS partition (HFS filesystem
> not loaded). I personally see this messages when using/leaving MacOnLinux
> emulator (which is opening the block device of a partition that is also
> mounted), or when shutting down the box.
>
> Al, any clue ? Something you want me to do to track it further down ?
>
> Ben.
>

> -

Andreas Steinmetz
D.O.M. Datenverarbeitung GmbH

2001-12-13 14:33:22

by Ulrich Wiederhold

* Andreas Steinmetz <[email protected]> [011213 12:41]:
> You will see this message with LVM too when issuing vgscan/vgchange.

Yes, same here with lvm.

2 HD's, no RAID, reiserfs.

uli

--
'The box said, 'Requires Windows 95 or better', so i installed Linux - TKK 5

2001-12-13 15:20:38

by Matt Dainty

On Thu, Dec 13, 2001 at 03:35:13PM +0100, Ulrich Wiederhold wrote:
> * Andreas Steinmetz <[email protected]> [011213 12:41]:
> > You will see this message with LVM too when issuing vgscan/vgchange.
> >
> Yes, same here with lvm.
>
> 2 HD's, no RAID, reiserfs.

I've got LVM and one of said AACRAID adapters. If I do vgscan then I get about
15 copies of the message written, but I haven't been able to trigger it by
accessing the RAID partitions.

Matt
--
"Phase plasma rifle in a forty-watt range?"
"Only what you see on the shelves, buddy"