2001-12-14 21:40:58

by Mihai Cartoaje

Subject: the name "framebuffer"

As you may recall from chemistry classes, a buffer is a solutee that
reduces pH variations. Since the initials VGA in IBM's display
adapter stand for, "video graphics array," I recommend changing the
name of the devices from "framebuffer" to "video array." I shall
like to know what other people think.

Mihai

2001-12-14 21:56:19

by Alex Buell

Subject: Re: the name "framebuffer"

On Fri, 14 Dec 2001, Mihai Cartoaje wrote:

> As you may recall from chemistry classes, a buffer is a solutee that
> reduces pH variations. Since the initials VGA in IBM's display adapter
> stand for, "video graphics array," I recommend changing the name of
> the devices from "framebuffer" to "video array." I shall like to know
> what other people think.

________________________________
| |
| P L E A S E D O N O T |
| |
| F E E D T H E |
| |
| T R O L L S |
|________________________________|
. . . || . .
. . || . .
. || . . .
. . \||/ .
. . .
. . . .
. . . .

--
The best things in life are free.

http://www.tahallah.demon.co.uk

2001-12-14 21:59:10

by Doug McNaught

Mihai Cartoaje <[email protected]> writes:

> As you may recall from chemistry classes, a buffer is a solutee that
> reduces pH variations. Since the initials VGA in IBM's display
> adapter stand for, "video graphics array," I recommend changing the
> name of the devices from "framebuffer" to "video array." I shall
> like to know what other people think.

As you may recall, this isn't chemistry. ;)

In computer science, a "buffer" is a chunk of memory used for data
storage. The term "framebuffer" has been used for at least 10 years,
makes perfect sense, and is well understood.

-Doug
--T. J. Jackson, 1863

2001-12-14 22:56:30

by Gábor Lénárt

On Fri, Dec 14, 2001 at 04:40:35PM -0500, Mihai Cartoaje wrote:
> As you may recall from chemistry classes, a buffer is a solutee that
> reduces pH variations. Since the initials VGA in IBM's display
> adapter stand for, "video graphics array," I recommend changing the
> name of the devices from "framebuffer" to "video array." I shall
> like to know what other people think.

ROTFL :)

Well, maybe you should rename notion of 'buffer' in chemistry.
Buffer is a general and commonly used word in computer science as well
(and imho much more commonly used).

- Gabor

2001-12-16 00:33:15

by Gerhard Mack

On Fri, 14 Dec 2001, Mihai Cartoaje wrote:
> As you may recall from chemistry classes, a buffer is a solutee that
> reduces pH variations. Since the initials VGA in IBM's display
> adapter stand for, "video graphics array," I recommend changing the
> name of the devices from "framebuffer" to "video array." I shall
> like to know what other people think.

I think you should have gone to McGill instead...

--
Gerhard Mack

[email protected]

<>< As a computer I find your faith in technology amusing.

2001-12-16 12:21:19

by Mark H. Wood

On Fri, Dec 14, 2001 at 04:40:35PM -0500, Mihai Cartoaje wrote:
> As you may recall from chemistry classes, a buffer is a solutee that
> reduces pH variations. Since the initials VGA in IBM's display
> adapter stand for, "video graphics array," I recommend changing the
> name of the devices from "framebuffer" to "video array." I shall
> like to know what other people think.

Other people think that "buffer" is one of those words which have been
used for similar meanings in many disciplines. In computing it is a
region of storage used to reduce data rate variations. In materials
handling it is a machine for rubbing away surface imperfections in leather
or metal (reducing surface variations). In railroading it's a
spring-loaded piston used to absorb the energy of low-speed impacts
(reducing speed discrepancies). It could be applied to any mechanism
designed to mitigate unwanted differences.

--
Mark H. Wood, Lead System Programmer [email protected]
Our lives are forever changed. But *that* is exactly as it always was.