2001-12-14 20:15:52

by Jens Axboe

Subject: Re: your mail

On Fri, Dec 14 2001, G?rard Roudier wrote:
> > I fixed the problem by seeing what the sym
> > driver did i.e. the patch below
> > This may not be right at all, and I haven't had a
> > chance to boot the kernel - but it did build OK.
>
> The ncr53c8xx and sym53c8xx version 1 use the obsolete scsi eh handling.
> Moving the eh code from sym53c8xx_2 (version 2) to ncr53c8xx/sym53c8xx is
> quite feasible, but may-be it is just useless given sym53c8xx_2. For now,
> it seems that sym53c8xx_2 replaces both ncr/sym53c8xx without any loss of
> reliability and performance.

Gerard,

For 2.5, why don't we just yank old sym and ncr out of the kernel? Is
there _any_ reason to keep the two older ones given your new driver
handles it all?

--
Jens Axboe

2001-12-14 21:01:22

by Gérard Roudier

On Fri, 14 Dec 2001, Jens Axboe wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 14 2001, G?rard Roudier wrote:
> > > I fixed the problem by seeing what the sym
> > > driver did i.e. the patch below
> > > This may not be right at all, and I haven't had a
> > > chance to boot the kernel - but it did build OK.
> >
> > The ncr53c8xx and sym53c8xx version 1 use the obsolete scsi eh handling.
> > Moving the eh code from sym53c8xx_2 (version 2) to ncr53c8xx/sym53c8xx is
> > quite feasible, but may-be it is just useless given sym53c8xx_2. For now,
> > it seems that sym53c8xx_2 replaces both ncr/sym53c8xx without any loss of
> > reliability and performance.
>
> Gerard,
>
> For 2.5, why don't we just yank old sym and ncr out of the kernel? Is
> there _any_ reason to keep the two older ones given your new driver
> handles it all?

On my side, there is obviously no reason to keep them in 2.5, as sym-2 is
intended to replace them both. Personnaly I have switched to sym-2 on my
systems since several months.

However, I donnot consider myself as the only owner of these drivers. The
owners are all people that may need symbios chips support under Linux. My
personnal vote, as a user/owner, is to remove them and rely for symbios
chip support on sym-2.

--

Linux stable is a different issue. For this one, I would prefer the old
drivers to remain in place for a longer time. However, I personnaly will

- The problem also shows up in sym-2. Then I will try to fix sym-2,
- Or the problem simply doesn't occur in sym-2.

This will apply to problems reported directly by users or by packagers.

By the way, for now, I haven't received any report about sym-2 failing
when sym-1 or ncr succeeds, and my feeling is that this could well be very
unlikely.

But I can make mistakes, me too. :-)

G?rard.

2001-12-14 22:37:19

by eduard.epi

On Fri, 14 Dec 2001, [ISO-8859-1] G?rard Roudier wrote:
> By the way, for now, I haven't received any report about sym-2 failing
> when sym-1 or ncr succeeds, and my feeling is that this could well be very
> unlikely.

Ahemm -- well,
maybe I'm the first one. I have a symbios card, which is recognized by
lspci: SCSI storage controller: LSI Logic Corp. / Symbios Logic Inc.
(formerly NCR) 53c810 (rev 23).

This card goes into an endless loop during parity-checking. So tried to
disable it for the new sym53cxx in modules.conf:
options sym53c8xx mpar:n spar:n
This did not help in this case, however.

There have been so far three ways to solve this problem:
1. Use the very old ncr53c7,8 or so driver. This is working rather
unreliable for me.
2. Use the ncr53c8xx, which works usually well
3. Use sym53c8xx(old) compiled with parity disabled

Probably there is a way around that, but somebody trying to install Linux
from a SCSI-CDROM with this card for the first time will very likely not
succeed. I have seen this with (for instance) Corel-Linux and FreeBSD
(same driver).
NB Parity checking for me is not really all that important as there is no
hardrive connected to that card. Only CD and scanner.

Peter B

. .
|\_-^^^-_/|
/ (|)_(|) \
( === X === )
\ ._|_. /
^-_ _-^
???

2001-12-14 23:10:32

by Gérard Roudier

On Fri, 14 Dec 2001, Peter Bornemann wrote:

> On Fri, 14 Dec 2001, [ISO-8859-1] G?rard Roudier wrote:
> > By the way, for now, I haven't received any report about sym-2 failing
> > when sym-1 or ncr succeeds, and my feeling is that this could well be very
> > unlikely.
> >

> Ahemm -- well,
> maybe I'm the first one. I have a symbios card, which is recognized by
> lspci: SCSI storage controller: LSI Logic Corp. / Symbios Logic Inc.
> (formerly NCR) 53c810 (rev 23).
>
> This card goes into an endless loop during parity-checking. So tried to
> disable it for the new sym53cxx in modules.conf:
> options sym53c8xx mpar:n spar:n
> This did not help in this case, however.
>
> There have been so far three ways to solve this problem:
> 1. Use the very old ncr53c7,8 or so driver. This is working rather
> unreliable for me.
> 2. Use the ncr53c8xx, which works usually well
> 3. Use sym53c8xx(old) compiled with parity disabled
>
> Probably there is a way around that, but somebody trying to install Linux
> from a SCSI-CDROM with this card for the first time will very likely not
> succeed. I have seen this with (for instance) Corel-Linux and FreeBSD
> (same driver).
> NB Parity checking for me is not really all that important as there is no
> hardrive connected to that card. Only CD and scanner.

About what parity sort are you talking about ?
PCI parity ? SCSI parity ?

PCI parity checking is not an option. If it is this one, then your
hardware is simply broken. For such broken hardwares that returns such
spurious PCI parity error early during HBA probing, sym-2 can detect this
and disable PCI parity checking. This has been reported to work well under
FreeBSD. And sym-2 is also supposed to accept the manual disabling, either
by compiled-in option or using the mpar=n boot-up options.

For SCSI parity, which is different matter, both drivers try to cope and
still sym-2 should accept the spar=n boot-up option.

Could you, please, report me more accurate information.
TIA,
G?rard.

2001-12-15 01:09:04

by eduard.epi

On Fri, 14 Dec 2001, [ISO-8859-1] G?rard Roudier wrote:

> On Fri, 14 Dec 2001, Peter Bornemann wrote:
> > Ahemm -- well,
> > maybe I'm the first one. I have a symbios card, which is recognized by
> > lspci: SCSI storage controller: LSI Logic Corp. / Symbios Logic Inc.
> > (formerly NCR) 53c810 (rev 23).
> Could you, please, report me more accurate information.
> TIA,

Well, it seems I made my intention not very clear: I do not want You to
fix something in the driver, I just wanted from You to leave the old
ncr-driver in the kernel, just for the situation of a first install. I
think no newbie with little knowledge will be able to install Linux (or,
maybe, FreeBSD), when he happens to own such an controller. First, he
won't be able to read very much on the screen, for the loop runs much too
fast and second, he will not understand when he reads something about a
sym53c8xx. Exactly for this case I think the old driver should be left in.
If You want, You can tell him "Attention! Use of this driver deprecated.
Contact Your support." or whatever seems appropriate. It is just about the
first step to linuxland :-)

Hope I managed to make myself clear tris time

Peter B

. .
|\_-^^^-_/|
/ (|)_(|) \
( === X === )
\ ._|_. /
^-_ _-^
???

2001-12-15 09:54:07

by Gérard Roudier

On Sat, 15 Dec 2001, Peter Bornemann wrote:

> On Fri, 14 Dec 2001, [ISO-8859-1] G?rard Roudier wrote:
>

> > On Fri, 14 Dec 2001, Peter Bornemann wrote:
> > > Ahemm -- well,
> > > maybe I'm the first one. I have a symbios card, which is recognized by
> > > lspci: SCSI storage controller: LSI Logic Corp. / Symbios Logic Inc.
> > > (formerly NCR) 53c810 (rev 23).
> > Could you, please, report me more accurate information.
> > TIA,
> >

> Well, it seems I made my intention not very clear: I do not want You to
> fix something in the driver, I just wanted from You to leave the old
> ncr-driver in the kernel, just for the situation of a first install. I
> think no newbie with little knowledge will be able to install Linux (or,
> maybe, FreeBSD), when he happens to own such an controller. First, he
> won't be able to read very much on the screen, for the loop runs much too
> fast and second, he will not understand when he reads something about a
> sym53c8xx. Exactly for this case I think the old driver should be left in.
> If You want, You can tell him "Attention! Use of this driver deprecated.
> Contact Your support." or whatever seems appropriate. It is just about the
> first step to linuxland :-)
>
> Hope I managed to make myself clear tris time

I have limited time and am very bad in politics. I do prefer to have to
deal with accurate technical issues. My english is also limited to this
field.

You would have been clear if you had reported:

1) Which of the mpar= spar= and/or corresponding compiled-in options made
your broken hardware works (with high risks of silent corruption).

2) If using the corresponding compiled-in option worked with sym-2.

3) Optionnaly, relevant messages printed by sym-2, even taken by hand,
when the problem occurs.

+ any other pertinent information I cannot guess about you thought can
help.

About FreeBSD, the only information I have is that the (sad) work-around I
implemented and that is incorporated in sym-2 _did_ work around the
problem of PCI parity error for people that did report results.

Could you be clear, as expected by technical group of discussions, please.

G?rard.

PS: The ncr53c8xx may just work since it does trust POST software to
enable PCI parity checking bit in PCI config space. But it seems that
most POST shits donnot do so, leaving systems with the risk of silent
data corruption in contradiction with either PCI specifications and user
expectation.