2001-12-22 08:39:37

by matthew david reuther

Subject: Re: Changing KB, MB, and GB to KiB, MiB, and GiB in Configure.help

This is drifting off topic, but...

0 degrees Fahrenheit is the freezing point of salt-water, though I don't
recall offhand what solution

100 degrees Fahrenheit is the rectal temperature of a cow

I guess the reason these feel more "natural" to some people, is because
they relate to our bodies, just like the inch, foot, hand, and cubit. It
still doesn't explain things like pounds, but that's probably related to
agriculture somehow.

At any rate, the US allows people to continue to work in thing like pounds
and ounces (wet and dry) because it is the standard for their trade. They
put the metric equivalent on the package in paentheses, but it's "soft"
metric, not "hard" metric (which would be nice round numbers).

Anyway, I think the switch is a good idea, but some education is in order.

2002-01-08 21:19:26

by Dr. Kelsey Hudson

On Sat, 22 Dec 2001, matthew david reuther wrote:

> I guess the reason these feel more "natural" to some people, is because
> they relate to our bodies, just like the inch, foot, hand, and cubit. It
> still doesn't explain things like pounds, but that's probably related to
> agriculture somehow.

a pound is the weight of one pint of water (one gallon = 7.8 lbs, roughly)
there are two pints in a quart, and four quarts to a gallon. therefore, a
pint is 1/8 gallon, and very close to one pound.

Kelsey Hudson [email protected]
Software Engineer
Compendium Technologies, Inc (619) 725-0771