2002-02-14 15:14:50

by Mark Staudinger

Subject: 2.4.12 on Pentium?

Is there any known problem with running kernel 2.4.12 on a P54/P55 CPU? I'm
unable to get a 2.4.12 kernel to boot on a pentium class machine, regardless
of what I choose for the "Processor Family" support in the config.

A similar (if not identical) config of kernel 2.4.5 works just fine, even if
compiled for 686/Celeron processor family.

The machine reboots during the "loading kernel...." phase and before the
"Uncompressing kernel" boot message.

Any ideas?

-Mark

2002-02-14 17:40:31

by Drew P. Vogel

Subject: Re: 2.4.12 on Pentium?

On Thu, 14 Feb 2002, Mark Staudinger wrote:

>Is there any known problem with running kernel 2.4.12 on a P54/P55 CPU? I'm
>unable to get a 2.4.12 kernel to boot on a pentium class machine, regardless
>of what I choose for the "Processor Family" support in the config.
>
>A similar (if not identical) config of kernel 2.4.5 works just fine, even if
>compiled for 686/Celeron processor family.

copy the .config from the 2.4.5 directory and do a 'make oldconfig' just
to be sure.

--Drew Vogel

2002-02-14 19:43:57

by Mark Staudinger

"Drew P. Vogel" <[email protected]> said:

> On Thu, 14 Feb 2002, Mark Staudinger wrote:
>

> >Is there any known problem with running kernel 2.4.12 on a P54/P55 CPU?
I'm
> >unable to get a 2.4.12 kernel to boot on a pentium class machine,
regardless
> >of what I choose for the "Processor Family" support in the config.
> >
> >A similar (if not identical) config of kernel 2.4.5 works just fine, even
if
> >compiled for 686/Celeron processor family.
>
> copy the .config from the 2.4.5 directory and do a 'make oldconfig' just
> to be sure.
>
> --Drew Vogel

Done. Still the same symptom (reset during kernel load). I take it this isn't
a known problem then?

-=Mark

2002-02-14 20:55:33

by Mark Staudinger

John Alvord <[email protected]> said:

> One common failure reason is selecting the wrong processor type. I
> suggest starting with a plain vanilla i386 build and see what happens.
>
> john

That's the first thing I looked at... and my original message references
that. I've tried Pentium Classic, MMX, and 386. No such luck.

Thanks....

> On Thu, 14 Feb 2002 19:55:58 -0000, "Mark Staudinger"
> <[email protected]> wrote:

> >I'm
> >regardless

> >if
> >>
> >> copy the .config from the 2.4.5 directory and do a 'make oldconfig' just
> >> to be sure.
> >>
> >> --Drew Vogel
> >
> >Done. Still the same symptom (reset during kernel load). I take it this
isn't
> >a known problem then?
> >
> >-=Mark
> >

> >-
> >To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in
> >the body of a message to [email protected]
> >More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
> >Please read the FAQ at http://www.tux.org/lkml/

by Denis Vlasenko

On 14 February 2002 17:55, Mark Staudinger wrote:
> "Drew P. Vogel" <[email protected]> said:
> > On Thu, 14 Feb 2002, Mark Staudinger wrote:
> > >Is there any known problem with running kernel 2.4.12 on a P54/P55 CPU?
>
> I'm
>
> > >unable to get a 2.4.12 kernel to boot on a pentium class machine,
>
> regardless
>
> > >of what I choose for the "Processor Family" support in the config.
> > >
> > >A similar (if not identical) config of kernel 2.4.5 works just fine,
> > > even
>
> if
>
> > >compiled for 686/Celeron processor family.
> >
> > copy the .config from the 2.4.5 directory and do a 'make oldconfig' just
> > to be sure.
> >
> > --Drew Vogel
>
> Done. Still the same symptom (reset during kernel load). I take it this
> isn't a known problem then?

Do the same with latest 2.4
--
vda

2002-02-15 08:42:29

by Kristian Peters

"Mark Staudinger" <[email protected]> wrote:
> That's the first thing I looked at... and my original message references
> that. I've tried Pentium Classic, MMX, and 386. No such luck.
>
> Thanks....

Can you send me your config ? (Please private. The list has traffic enough.) I'll try to build your kernel and test it with my old Pentium.

*Kristian

:... [snd.science] ...:
::
:: http://www.korseby.net
:: http://gsmp.sf.net
:..........................:

Attachments:
(No filename) (197.00 B)

2002-02-17 12:43:02

by Bill Davidsen

On Thu, 14 Feb 2002, Mark Staudinger wrote:

> Is there any known problem with running kernel 2.4.12 on a P54/P55 CPU? I'm
> unable to get a 2.4.12 kernel to boot on a pentium class machine, regardless
> of what I choose for the "Processor Family" support in the config.
>
> A similar (if not identical) config of kernel 2.4.5 works just fine, even if
> compiled for 686/Celeron processor family.
>
> The machine reboots during the "loading kernel...." phase and before the
> "Uncompressing kernel" boot message.

I don't believe there's a problem here, I've run 2.4.5, 2.4.10, 2.4.13,
and 2.4.17 on both P5 and P5C (yes/no MMX) without problems. Sounds more
like a boot loader problem, does your LILO need 'linear' or something?

--
bill davidsen <[email protected]>
CTO, TMR Associates, Inc