2002-02-15 00:59:07

by Eric S. Raymond

Subject: CML2-2.3.0 is available

The latest version is always available at <http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/cml2/>.

Release 2.3.0: Thu Feb 14 19:20:38 EST 2002
* Resync with 2.5.4, 2.5.4-dj1 and 2.4.18-pre9.
* `menus' and `explanations' declarations are gone from the language;
all prompts and help info are declared by `symbols` declarations
now.
* Partial fixes to support autoconfigure on Sparc by Mike Cramer.

This doesn't include Linus's 2.5.5-pre1 changes, so it won't configure
ALSA. I'll fold those in when the ALSA stuff shows up in Dave Jones's
tree.

by Robert Schwebel

Subject: Re: CML2-2.3.0 is available

On Thu, 14 Feb 2002, Eric S. Raymond wrote:
> The latest version is always available at <http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/cml2/>.

"Not Found"...

Robert
| Dipl.-Ing. Robert Schwebel | http://www.pengutronix.de |
| Pengutronix - Linux Solutions for Science and Industry |
| Braunschweiger Str. 79, 31134 Hildesheim, Germany |
| Phone: +49-5121-28619-0 | Fax: +49-5121-28619-4 |

by Thomas Capricelli

Indeed. not found. Eric ?

Thomas

On Friday 15 February 2002 07:51, Robert Schwebel wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Feb 2002, Eric S. Raymond wrote:
> > The latest version is always available at
> > <http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/cml2/>.
>
> "Not Found"...
>
> Robert

2002-02-15 09:26:50

by Olivier Galibert

On Thu, Feb 14, 2002 at 07:33:29PM -0500, Eric S. Raymond wrote:
> * `menus' and `explanations' declarations are gone from the language;
> all prompts and help info are declared by `symbols` declarations
> now.

So now you can compile a menu as a module? What makes the difference
between a config symbol and anything else?

OG.

2002-02-15 14:32:07

by Eric S. Raymond

Olivier Galibert <[email protected]>:
> So now you can compile a menu as a module? What makes the difference
> between a config symbol and anything else?

Symbol type is inferred from use in a menu.

by Jean-Luc Leger

On Fri, Feb 15, 2002 at 09:06:24AM -0500, Eric S. Raymond wrote:
> Symbol type is inferred from use in a menu.

what about those "legend" symbols that were in menus list but with
no menu declaration ?

ex:
menu usb # USB? support
USB_DEBUG
usb_options_legend
USB_DEVICEFS USB_BANDWIDTH USB_LONG_TIMEOUT
usb_controllers_legend
h:USB_UHCI? h:USB_UHCI_ALT? h:USB_OHCI?

I see no difference in use for usb_options_legend and USB_DEBUG.

JL

2002-02-15 17:01:34

by Eric S. Raymond

Jean-Luc Leger <[email protected]>:
> On Fri, Feb 15, 2002 at 09:06:24AM -0500, Eric S. Raymond wrote:
> > Symbol type is inferred from use in a menu.
>
> what about those "legend" symbols that were in menus list but with
> no menu declaration ?
>
> ex:
> menu usb # USB? support
> USB_DEBUG
> usb_options_legend
> USB_DEVICEFS USB_BANDWIDTH USB_LONG_TIMEOUT
> usb_controllers_legend
> h:USB_UHCI? h:USB_UHCI_ALT? h:USB_OHCI?
>
> I see no difference in use for usb_options_legend and USB_DEBUG.

Good catch! Messages had been temporarily disabled, but I finished
adding a message declaration suffix (!) just before your mail came in.
In 2.3.1 your example will look like this.

menu usb # USB? support
USB_DEBUG
usb_options_legend!
USB_DEVICEFS USB_BANDWIDTH USB_LONG_TIMEOUT
usb_controllers_legend!
h:USB_UHCI? h:USB_UHCI_ALT? h:USB_OHCI?

The reason for this change in design is to make it easier to automatically
generate per-directory distributed symbols files. But the good thing about
it is that it simplifies the language -- I was able to remove three constructs
and only have to add back one.