2002-06-03 19:20:46

by Marcus Sundberg

Subject: Re: Loosing packets with Dlink DFE-580TX and SMC 9462TX

Benjamin LaHaise <[email protected]> writes:

> What version of ns83820.c are you using? Version 0.17 of ns83820.c
> made significant improvements under load. Other possibilities include
> cabling problems (watch the kernel logs for changes in link state).
> Try to find out where the packets are getting dropped by looking
> through /proc/net/snmp and other statistics counters in the kernel.

0.17, but some more testing showed that the ns83820 actually works
just fine during this test when using just crossover cables and
running at gigabit speed. The original testing was done using
100Mbit hubs, so my guess would be that the 83820 chips (and/or
driver) doesn't handle collisions too well (which I don't have a
problem with, as afaik GE is always switched).

However the DFE-580TX problems remain regardless of using a hubbed
or switched network.

(As booth eepro100 and tulip-based cards works fine with the hubs
I'm quite certain there's nothing wrong with them.)

//Marcud
--
---------------------------------------+--------------------------
Marcus Sundberg <[email protected]> | Firewalls with SIP & NAT

2002-06-03 23:56:55

by Nick

There are at least some gigabit ethernet hubs on the market. How badly
does it handle collisions?
Nick

On 3 Jun 2002, Marcus Sundberg wrote:

> Benjamin LaHaise <[email protected]> writes:
>
> > What version of ns83820.c are you using? Version 0.17 of ns83820.c
> > made significant improvements under load. Other possibilities include
> > cabling problems (watch the kernel logs for changes in link state).
> > Try to find out where the packets are getting dropped by looking
> > through /proc/net/snmp and other statistics counters in the kernel.
>
> 0.17, but some more testing showed that the ns83820 actually works
> just fine during this test when using just crossover cables and
> running at gigabit speed. The original testing was done using
> 100Mbit hubs, so my guess would be that the 83820 chips (and/or
> driver) doesn't handle collisions too well (which I don't have a
> problem with, as afaik GE is always switched).
>
> However the DFE-580TX problems remain regardless of using a hubbed
> or switched network.
>
> (As booth eepro100 and tulip-based cards works fine with the hubs
> I'm quite certain there's nothing wrong with them.)
>
> //Marcud

by Donald Becker

On Mon, 3 Jun 2002 [email protected] wrote:
> On 3 Jun 2002, Marcus Sundberg wrote:
> > running at gigabit speed. The original testing was done using
> > 100Mbit hubs, so my guess would be that the 83820 chips (and/or
> > driver) doesn't handle collisions too well (which I don't have a
> > problem with, as afaik GE is always switched).
> There are at least some gigabit ethernet hubs on the market. How badly
> does it handle collisions?

Huh?
Packet Engines used to sell FDRs -- "Full Duplex Repeaters", but (as the
name implies) FDRs were not collision based. I don't know of any Gb
Ethernet collision-based repeaters.

Any collision-based operations will take place at 10 or 100Mbps. Anyone
still using a repeater obviously doesn't need performance.

> > 0.17, but some more testing showed that the ns83820 actually works
> > just fine during this test when using just crossover cables and

You might compare against my ns820.c driver. (Note: It was initially
released before the ns83820.c driver was written, although the ns83820.c
driver was the one put into the kernel.)

--
Donald Becker [email protected]
Scyld Computing Corporation http://www.scyld.com

2002-06-06 13:22:49

by ET Sales

Uh..aren't those 32-bit cards? There isn't enough bus bandwidth on a 32bit
PCI bus to do gigabit, so its more likely that the cards are overrunning
their buffers....

Dennis

>There are at least some gigabit ethernet hubs on the market. How badly
>does it handle collisions?
> Nick
>
>On 3 Jun 2002, Marcus Sundberg wrote:
>
> > Benjamin LaHaise <[email protected]> writes:
> >
> > > What version of ns83820.c are you using? Version 0.17 of ns83820.c
> > > made significant improvements under load. Other possibilities include
> > > cabling problems (watch the kernel logs for changes in link state).
> > > Try to find out where the packets are getting dropped by looking
> > > through /proc/net/snmp and other statistics counters in the kernel.
> >
> > 0.17, but some more testing showed that the ns83820 actually works
> > just fine during this test when using just crossover cables and
> > running at gigabit speed. The original testing was done using
> > 100Mbit hubs, so my guess would be that the 83820 chips (and/or
> > driver) doesn't handle collisions too well (which I don't have a
> > problem with, as afaik GE is always switched).
> >
> > However the DFE-580TX problems remain regardless of using a hubbed
> > or switched network.
> >
> > (As booth eepro100 and tulip-based cards works fine with the hubs
> > I'm quite certain there's nothing wrong with them.)
> >
> > //Marcud
> > --
> > the body of a message to [email protected]
> >

>-
>To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-net" in
>the body of a message to [email protected]

by Benjamin LaHaise

On Thu, Jun 06, 2002 at 09:21:50AM -0400, ET Sales wrote:
> At 07:56 PM 6/3/02 -0400, you wrote:
>
> Uh..aren't those 32-bit cards? There isn't enough bus bandwidth on a 32bit
> PCI bus to do gigabit, so its more likely that the cards are overrunning
> their buffers....

32 bit cards are okay for most applications that don't use all bandwidth
in both directions. Also, if overruns occur, recent versions of ns83820.c
do update the error counts in /proc/net/dev.

-ben

2002-06-08 20:29:49

by Ben Greear

Isn't the DFE-580tx a 4-port 10/100bt NIC? If so, why the
talk about Gigabit speed?

--
Ben Greear <[email protected]> <Ben_Greear AT excite.com>
President of Candela Technologies Inc http://www.candelatech.com