2002-11-19 13:33:11

by CaT

Subject: 2.5.48 and ALSA

Is it supposed to work when compiled into the kernel? I have it compiled
with OSS emulation and it worked as modules with 2.5.47 but not compiled
in to 2.5.48 (trying to avoid the whole modules changes here :)

I get the sound device recognised but I hear no output and aumix is only
reporting Vol, Synth, Line, Mic and CD. No PCM. :/

This is the relevant part of dmesg. I can't give it in full because the
buffer overflows on bootup. :/

Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 0.9.0rc5 (Sun Nov 10 19:48:18 2002 UTC).
request_module[snd-card-0]: not ready
request_module[snd-card-1]: not ready
request_module[snd-card-2]: not ready
request_module[snd-card-3]: not ready
request_module[snd-card-4]: not ready
request_module[snd-card-5]: not ready
request_module[snd-card-6]: not ready
request_module[snd-card-7]: not ready
driver pci:Maestro3: registering
kobject Maestro3: registering
bus pci: add driver Maestro3
PCI: Enabling device 00:0c.0 (0000 -> 0003)
Yenta IRQ list 00b8, PCI irq10
Socket status: 30000820
Yenta IRQ list 00b8, PCI irq10
Socket status: 30000006
bound device '00:0c.0' to driver 'Maestro3'
ALSA device list:
#0: Dummy 1
#1: ESS Maestro3 PCI at 0x1000, irq 11

And my .config:

#
# Advanced Linux Sound Architecture
#
CONFIG_SND=y
CONFIG_SND_SEQUENCER=y
CONFIG_SND_SEQ_DUMMY=y
CONFIG_SND_OSSEMUL=y
CONFIG_SND_MIXER_OSS=y
CONFIG_SND_PCM_OSS=y
CONFIG_SND_SEQUENCER_OSS=y
CONFIG_SND_RTCTIMER=y
CONFIG_SND_VERBOSE_PRINTK=y
# CONFIG_SND_DEBUG is not set

#
# Generic devices
#
CONFIG_SND_DUMMY=y
CONFIG_SND_VIRMIDI=y
# CONFIG_SND_MTPAV is not set
# CONFIG_SND_SERIAL_U16550 is not set
# CONFIG_SND_MPU401 is not set

#
# PCI devices
#
# CONFIG_SND_ALI5451 is not set
# CONFIG_SND_CS46XX is not set
# CONFIG_SND_CS4281 is not set
# CONFIG_SND_EMU10K1 is not set
# CONFIG_SND_KORG1212 is not set
# CONFIG_SND_NM256 is not set
# CONFIG_SND_RME32 is not set
# CONFIG_SND_RME96 is not set
# CONFIG_SND_RME9652 is not set
# CONFIG_SND_HDSP is not set
# CONFIG_SND_TRIDENT is not set
# CONFIG_SND_YMFPCI is not set
# CONFIG_SND_ALS4000 is not set
# CONFIG_SND_CMIPCI is not set
# CONFIG_SND_ENS1370 is not set
# CONFIG_SND_ENS1371 is not set
# CONFIG_SND_ES1938 is not set
# CONFIG_SND_ES1968 is not set
CONFIG_SND_MAESTRO3=y
# CONFIG_SND_FM801 is not set
# CONFIG_SND_ICE1712 is not set
# CONFIG_SND_INTEL8X0 is not set
# CONFIG_SND_SONICVIBES is not set
# CONFIG_SND_VIA82XX is not set

I'd provide /proc/asound entries but there's a buttload of files there
and I don't know what would be interesting. The only patch applied to
the kernel is the one to make the kernel pnpbios option play nicely with
my laptops broken bios (ie it lets me boot up).

Any question etc, please holler. :)

--
All people are equal,
But some are more equal then others.

2002-11-19 13:53:52

by bert hubert

Subject: Re: 2.5.48 and ALSA

On Wed, Nov 20, 2002 at 12:39:59AM +1100, CaT wrote:
> Is it supposed to work when compiled into the kernel? I have it compiled
> with OSS emulation and it worked as modules with 2.5.47 but not compiled
> in to 2.5.48 (trying to avoid the whole modules changes here :)

Works for me with snd-trident on 2.5.48 as modules.

--
http://www.PowerDNS.com Versatile DNS Software & Services
http://lartc.org Linux Advanced Routing & Traffic Control HOWTO

2002-11-19 13:59:04

by Helge Hafting

CaT wrote:

> Is it supposed to work when compiled into the kernel? I have it compiled

Yes, it used to work. I have sometimes had to help the boot
scripts as the "gave up" when modprobe failed. But
it always worked after setting up the mixer manually.

Sometime before 2.5.47 ALSA broke, at least for trident.
I haven't tested if it works with modules - if it don't
work compiled-in it don't work for me. I don't get all the devices
either.

> with OSS emulation and it worked as modules with 2.5.47 but not compiled
> in to 2.5.48 (trying to avoid the whole modules changes here :)

Yes, and also avoiding the maintenance of modules.conf, extra
devfs issues, and so on for only a little extra memory.

Helge Hafting

2002-11-19 14:06:05

by Jaroslav Kysela

On Wed, 20 Nov 2002, CaT wrote:

> Is it supposed to work when compiled into the kernel? I have it compiled
> with OSS emulation and it worked as modules with 2.5.47 but not compiled
> in to 2.5.48 (trying to avoid the whole modules changes here :)
>
> I get the sound device recognised but I hear no output and aumix is only
> reporting Vol, Synth, Line, Mic and CD. No PCM. :/
>
> This is the relevant part of dmesg. I can't give it in full because the
> buffer overflows on bootup. :/
>
> Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 0.9.0rc5 (Sun Nov 10 19:48:18 2002 UTC).
> request_module[snd-card-0]: not ready
> request_module[snd-card-1]: not ready
> request_module[snd-card-2]: not ready
> request_module[snd-card-3]: not ready
> request_module[snd-card-4]: not ready
> request_module[snd-card-5]: not ready
> request_module[snd-card-6]: not ready
> request_module[snd-card-7]: not ready
> driver pci:Maestro3: registering
> kobject Maestro3: registering
> bus pci: add driver Maestro3
> PCI: Enabling device 00:0c.0 (0000 -> 0003)
> Yenta IRQ list 00b8, PCI irq10
> Socket status: 30000820
> Yenta IRQ list 00b8, PCI irq10
> Socket status: 30000006
> bound device '00:0c.0' to driver 'Maestro3'
> ALSA device list:
> #0: Dummy 1
> #1: ESS Maestro3 PCI at 0x1000, irq 11
>
> And my .config:
>
> #
> # Advanced Linux Sound Architecture
> #
> CONFIG_SND=y
> CONFIG_SND_SEQUENCER=y
> CONFIG_SND_SEQ_DUMMY=y
> CONFIG_SND_OSSEMUL=y
> CONFIG_SND_MIXER_OSS=y
> CONFIG_SND_PCM_OSS=y
> CONFIG_SND_SEQUENCER_OSS=y
> CONFIG_SND_RTCTIMER=y
> CONFIG_SND_VERBOSE_PRINTK=y
> # CONFIG_SND_DEBUG is not set
>
> #
> # Generic devices
> #
> CONFIG_SND_DUMMY=y

Remove this dummy driver, it does nothing.

> CONFIG_SND_MAESTRO3=y

Jaroslav

-----
Jaroslav Kysela <[email protected]>
Linux Kernel Sound Maintainer
ALSA Project, SuSE Labs

2002-11-21 06:55:48

by CaT

On Tue, Nov 19, 2002 at 03:10:41PM +0100, Jaroslav Kysela wrote:
> > CONFIG_SND_DUMMY=y
>
> Remove this dummy driver, it does nothing.

Gah! I feel silly now. I had that when using modules so that things
would stop complaining about not having audio when I didn't want it on
(it usually brings down my laptop in a heap - instant off). Am trying
now with the new ALSA drivers and 2.5.x to see if they do thesame or
not. So far so good (ie no shutdowns). :)

BTW. Should having the Mic volume way-up result in a highly piched tone
being emitted from the speakers? I don't remember this ever being the
case before. (had this happen this morning when I turned the laptop on -
nice way to -really- wake up)