2003-01-08 14:00:15

by folkert

Subject: status of ntfs write-support in 2.4.20

Hi,

What is the status of NTFS WRITE(!)-support in 2.4.20?
Is there any kernel which can do safely writing to windows nt(! not 2000
or xp) partitions?

Folkert

2003-01-08 17:28:21

by Joshua Kwan

Subject: Re: status of ntfs write-support in 2.4.20

I believe it is still very unsafe. It *can* be done but you have to mess with
scandisk everytime you reboot back to windows...it's very very dirty and quite
hackish. I wouldn't think about risking data on an NTFS partition through the
limited NTFS driver in Linux 2.4 (even 2.5.)

And windows NT/2000/XP partitions are all the same NTFS anyway.

Regards
Josh

On Wed, Jan 08, 2003 at 03:08:54PM +0100, [email protected] wrote:
> Hi,
>
> What is the status of NTFS WRITE(!)-support in 2.4.20?
> Is there any kernel which can do safely writing to windows nt(! not 2000
> or xp) partitions?
>

> Folkert
>
> -

(No filename) (867.00 B)
(No filename) (189.00 B)

by Pawel Kot

On Wed, 8 Jan 2003, Joshua M. Kwan wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 08, 2003 at 03:08:54PM +0100, [email protected] wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > What is the status of NTFS WRITE(!)-support in 2.4.20?
> > Is there any kernel which can do safely writing to windows nt(! not 2000
> > or xp) partitions?
>
> I believe it is still very unsafe. It *can* be done but you have to mess with
> scandisk everytime you reboot back to windows...it's very very dirty and quite
> hackish. I wouldn't think about risking data on an NTFS partition through the
> limited NTFS driver in Linux 2.4 (even 2.5.)

Well, the ntfs driver from the 2.4.20 vanilla kernel has really dangerous
write support for the ntfs partitions. It is strongly discouraged to use
it.

You can use though the backport driver from the 2.5 kernel series (aka
ntfs-tng). It allows you to overwrite the files using mmap() and write().
So, neither size changes, nor attribute changes. You'll find mode detailes
along with the driver itself at http://linux-ntfs.sf.net/.

> And windows NT/2000/XP partitions are all the same NTFS anyway.

Not really. See http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/info/ntfs.html#1.4

pkot
--
mailto:[email protected] :: mailto:[email protected]