2003-09-12 13:50:14

by Nicolae Mihalache

Subject: 2.6-test4 problems: suspend and touchpad

Hello!

I have a Acer Travelmate 800 laptop and I'm using SuSE Linux 8.2 on it.
I tried recenly to install linux 2.6 and I observe two main problems:
1. The touchpad(synaptics) does not work. In kernel 2.4/X11 4.3 it
works very well both as a generic ps2 mouse or as a synaptics (using X11
driver for synaptics). The kernel 2.6 seems to have included a driver
for the synaptics device, it is detected at boot, but it does not work
in X (I guess it must be some kind of conflict between X11 driver and
kernel driver?).

2. suspend/resume. With version 2.6test2+acpi patch both swsusp and
"echo 3 >/proc/acpi/sleep" worked, being able to somehow successfully
resume. In version 2.6test4 there is no /proc/acpi/sleep and swsusp
hangs somwhere during an IDE call (I can hand-copy the trace if needed).

Any ideea?
mache

2003-09-12 22:22:57

by Patrick Mochel

Subject: Re: 2.6-test4 problems: suspend and touchpad

> 2. suspend/resume. With version 2.6test2+acpi patch both swsusp and
> "echo 3 >/proc/acpi/sleep" worked, being able to somehow successfully
> resume. In version 2.6test4 there is no /proc/acpi/sleep and swsusp
> hangs somwhere during an IDE call (I can hand-copy the trace if needed).

Would you please try the latest -mm patch (2.6.0-test5-mm1, I believe) and
report your findings?

Thanks,

Pat

2003-09-13 19:38:49

by Nicolae Mihalache

Patrick Mochel wrote:

>>2. suspend/resume. With version 2.6test2+acpi patch both swsusp and
>>"echo 3 >/proc/acpi/sleep" worked, being able to somehow successfully
>>resume. In version 2.6test4 there is no /proc/acpi/sleep and swsusp
>>hangs somwhere during an IDE call (I can hand-copy the trace if needed).
>>

>Would you please try the latest -mm patch (2.6.0-test5-mm1, I believe) and
>report your findings?

Well, the 2.6.0-test5-mm1 does not compile on my system (SuSE 8.2, gcc
version 3.3 20030226 (prerelease) ):

mm/slab.c: In function `ptrinfo':
mm/slab.c:2792: warning: comparison between signed and unsigned
mm/slab.c:2798: warning: implicit declaration of function `dbg_redzone1'
mm/slab.c:2798: error: invalid type argument of `unary *'
mm/slab.c:2798: warning: implicit declaration of function `dbg_redzone2'
mm/slab.c:2798: error: invalid type argument of `unary *'
mm/slab.c:2801: warning: implicit declaration of function `dbg_userword'
mm/slab.c:2801: error: invalid type argument of `unary *'
make[1]: *** [mm/slab.o] Error 1

thanks,
mache

2003-09-13 21:37:30

by Nicolae Mihalache

Nicolae Mihalache wrote:

> Patrick Mochel wrote:
>
>>> 2. suspend/resume. With version 2.6test2+acpi patch both swsusp and
>>> "echo 3 >/proc/acpi/sleep" worked, being able to somehow
>>> successfully resume. In version 2.6test4 there is no
>>> /proc/acpi/sleep and swsusp hangs somwhere during an IDE call (I can
>>> hand-copy the trace if needed).
>>>

>> Would you please try the latest -mm patch (2.6.0-test5-mm1, I
>> believe) and report your findings?
>>

> Well, the 2.6.0-test5-mm1 does not compile on my system (SuSE 8.2, gcc
> version 3.3 20030226 (prerelease) ):

Ok, I solved the compilation problems and with this kernel swsusp does
not hang anymore.
The resume works however the network adapter (Broadcom 4400) does not
even when restarting the network.
ifconfig eth0 shows very big counters:
eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:C0:9F:26:C7:15
UP BROADCAST NOTRAILERS RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:819 errors:4294966560 dropped:0 overruns:0
frame:4294966836
TX packets:865 errors:4294966836 dropped:0 overruns:0
carrier:4294967118
collisions:4294967204 txqueuelen:100
RX bytes:956732 (934.3 Kb) TX bytes:89228 (87.1 Kb)
Interrupt:5

Any ideas? Maybe the driver for this network card does not (correctly)
implement suspend/resume ?
mache

2003-09-14 10:27:27

by Peter Osterlund

Nicolae Mihalache <[email protected]> writes:

> I have a Acer Travelmate 800 laptop and I'm using SuSE Linux 8.2 on it.
> I tried recenly to install linux 2.6 and I observe two main problems:
> 1. The touchpad(synaptics) does not work. In kernel 2.4/X11 4.3 it
> works very well both as a generic ps2 mouse or as a synaptics (using
> X11 driver for synaptics). The kernel 2.6 seems to have included a
> driver for the synaptics device, it is detected at boot, but it does
> not work in X (I guess it must be some kind of conflict between X11
> driver and kernel driver?).

You need a new version of the X11 driver:

http://w1.894.telia.com/~u89404340/touchpad/index.html

--
Peter Osterlund - [email protected]
http://w1.894.telia.com/~u89404340

2003-09-15 16:55:29

by Patrick Mochel

> The resume works however the network adapter (Broadcom 4400) does not
> even when restarting the network.
> ifconfig eth0 shows very big counters:
> eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:C0:9F:26:C7:15
> UP BROADCAST NOTRAILERS RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
> RX packets:819 errors:4294966560 dropped:0 overruns:0
> frame:4294966836
> TX packets:865 errors:4294966836 dropped:0 overruns:0
> carrier:4294967118
> collisions:4294967204 txqueuelen:100
> RX bytes:956732 (934.3 Kb) TX bytes:89228 (87.1 Kb)
> Interrupt:5
>

> Any ideas? Maybe the driver for this network card does not (correctly)
> implement suspend/resume ?

It does not. Could you please try removing the module before you suspend?

Thanks,

Pat

2003-09-15 20:38:39

by Nicolae Mihalache

Patrick Mochel wrote:

>It does not. Could you please try removing the module before you suspend?

Yes, removing and readding the module does the trick.
Unfortunately I've seen that something else does not work after resume:
my USB mouse.
But for some reason I can not remove the usbcore module, the kernel says
it's in use.

Now, how can I help to solve these problems? Is somebody working to
solve these problems or should I try to solve them myself (at least with
the Broadcom 4400 driver) ?

Thanks,
mache

2003-09-15 21:38:05

by Nicolae Mihalache

Nicolae Mihalache wrote:

> Patrick Mochel wrote:
>

>> It does not. Could you please try removing the module before you
>> suspend?
>
> Yes, removing and readding the module does the trick.
> Unfortunately I've seen that something else does not work after
> resume: my USB mouse.
> But for some reason I can not remove the usbcore module, the kernel
> says it's in use.

I see that the mouse is not even powered. It's an optical mouse and the
light stays switched off.

mache

2003-09-16 09:37:03

by Pavel Machek

Hi!

> >It does not. Could you please try removing the module before you suspend?
> >
> Yes, removing and readding the module does the trick.
> Unfortunately I've seen that something else does not work after resume:
> my USB mouse.
> But for some reason I can not remove the usbcore module, the kernel says
> it's in use.
>
> Now, how can I help to solve these problems? Is somebody working to
> solve these problems or should I try to solve them myself (at least with
> the Broadcom 4400 driver) ?

Network driver should be reasonably easy to do; so please help :-).
Pavel
[Johanka's followup: and *two* hearts?]

2003-09-16 09:38:12

by Pavel Machek

Hi!

> >>It does not. Could you please try removing the module before you
> >>suspend?
> >
> >Yes, removing and readding the module does the trick.
> >Unfortunately I've seen that something else does not work after
> >resume: my USB mouse.
> >But for some reason I can not remove the usbcore module, the kernel
> >says it's in use.
>
> I see that the mouse is not even powered. It's an optical mouse and the
> light stays switched off.

USB suspend/resume does not currently work. It worked for uhci in
-test3, but it never worked for ohci.
Pavel
[Johanka's followup: and *two* hearts?]

2003-09-16 15:58:37

by Patrick Mochel

> Yes, removing and readding the module does the trick.
> Unfortunately I've seen that something else does not work after resume:
> my USB mouse.

> Now, how can I help to solve these problems? Is somebody working to
> solve these problems or should I try to solve them myself (at least with
> the Broadcom 4400 driver) ?

AFAIK, there is no one working on either of these issues. I would
recommende contacting the maintainers about what it would take to
implement suspend/resume. They should hopefully have an idea of how to go
about it, if not able to do it themselves.

Thanks,

Pat

2003-09-16 17:15:49

by Pavel Machek

Hi!

> and
> can
> >>>

> >> Would you please try the latest -mm patch (2.6.0-test5-mm1, I
> >> believe) and report your findings?
> >>

> > Well, the 2.6.0-test5-mm1 does not compile on my system (SuSE 8.2,
> gcc
> > version 3.3 20030226 (prerelease) ):
>
> Ok, I solved the compilation problems and with this kernel swsusp
> does not hang anymore.
> The resume works however the network adapter (Broadcom 4400) does not
> even when restarting the network.
> ifconfig eth0 shows very big counters:
> eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:C0:9F:26:C7:15
> UP BROADCAST NOTRAILERS RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
> RX packets:819 errors:4294966560 dropped:0 overruns:0
> frame:4294966836
> TX packets:865 errors:4294966836 dropped:0 overruns:0
> carrier:4294967118
> collisions:4294967204 txqueuelen:100
> RX bytes:956732 (934.3 Kb) TX bytes:89228 (87.1 Kb)
> Interrupt:5
>

> Any ideas? Maybe the driver for this network card does not
> (correctly) implement suspend/resume ?

Pretty probable. Look at the driver sources, and if there's no _suspend method, write one.
If you ifconfig down before suspend, does it help?
--
Pavel
Written on sharp zaurus, because my Velo1 broke. If you have Velo you don't need...