2001-11-01 15:31:39

by Fernando Netto

Subject: Is there a MAX TCP/UDP CONNECTIONS limit in Kernel?

Hi,

I?m having problems with concurrent TCP/UDP connections in my machine and
wondered if there is a limit in Kernel of "how many connections can be open
simoultaneously".

If someone know something about limitations and how to tune it up about this
matter, please don?t forget to put my address in CC as I?m not a signer of
this list.

Thank you,

Fernando Netto

2001-11-01 18:38:12

by Sven-Haegar Koch

On Thu, 1 Nov 2001, Fernando Netto wrote:

> I?m having problems with concurrent TCP/UDP connections in my machine and
> wondered if there is a limit in Kernel of "how many connections can be open
> simoultaneously".

Are you talking of inbound, or outbound connections?

Inbound-connections are mostly limited by the available filehandles and by
how much server-processes your box can handle.

Outbound-connections are limited by the local portrange, changeable
in /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_local_port_range
(ran into this on one of my proxy servers, having thousands of connections
in the state CLOSING, TIME_WAIT and LAST_ACK - after
echo "1024 16383" >/proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_local_port_range the box at
least stays working)

> If someone know something about limitations and how to tune it up about this
> matter, please don?t forget to put my address in CC as I?m not a signer of
> this list.

c'ya
sven

--

The Internet treats censorship as a routing problem, and routes around it.
(John Gilmore on http://www.cygnus.com/~gnu/)

2001-11-01 19:36:16

by Till Immanuel Patzschke

... there may be some sort of "implicit" limit resulting from the kernel memory.
I've run into the same problem but a fix is easy. Get the 3.5G patch from
Andrea's patch series (the -aa one), and modify it to NOT have 3.5GB of user
memory but 2.5 or 2 GB for example. Worked fine for me...
Cheers,

Immanuel

Sven Koch wrote:

> On Thu, 1 Nov 2001, Fernando Netto wrote:
>
> > I?m having problems with concurrent TCP/UDP connections in my machine and
> > wondered if there is a limit in Kernel of "how many connections can be open
> > simoultaneously".
>
> Are you talking of inbound, or outbound connections?
>
> Inbound-connections are mostly limited by the available filehandles and by
> how much server-processes your box can handle.
>
> Outbound-connections are limited by the local portrange, changeable
> in /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_local_port_range
> (ran into this on one of my proxy servers, having thousands of connections
> in the state CLOSING, TIME_WAIT and LAST_ACK - after
> echo "1024 16383" >/proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_local_port_range the box at
> least stays working)
>
> > If someone know something about limitations and how to tune it up about this
> > matter, please don?t forget to put my address in CC as I?m not a signer of
> > this list.
>
> c'ya
> sven
>
> --
>
> The Internet treats censorship as a routing problem, and routes around it.
> (John Gilmore on http://www.cygnus.com/~gnu/)
>
> -

Till Immanuel Patzschke mailto: [email protected]
interNetwork AG Phone: +49-(0)611-1731-121
Bierstadter Str. 7 Fax: +49-(0)611-1731-31
D-65189 Wiesbaden Web: http://www.internetwork-ag.de

2001-11-01 20:24:57

by David Miller

From: Sven Koch <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2001 19:37:31 +0100 (CET)

Outbound-connections are limited by the local portrange, changeable
in /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_local_port_range
(ran into this on one of my proxy servers, having thousands of connections
in the state CLOSING, TIME_WAIT and LAST_ACK - after
echo "1024 16383" >/proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_local_port_range the box at
least stays working)

In current 2.4.14-preX, this is not true anymore. It is limited
by something approximating "local port range X number of unique
destination IP addresses" because if the remote address is unique
we allow multiple local port binds to occur on the same local port.

Franks a lot,
David S. Miller
[email protected]