2002-01-27 11:36:10

by grundig

Subject: fonts corruption with 3dfx drm module

I can see fonts corruption when switching from X to console. I use last
stable kernel, but it's been hapenning from earlier versions. I use
iso-8959-15 fonts in console, with tdfx drm module for X, my video card is voodoo 3 3000 PCI.
I hope this can help.

Diego.

2002-01-27 17:35:05

by grundig

Subject: RE: fonts corruption with 3dfx drm module

On 27 ene 2002, 13:00:57, Daniel J Blueman wrote:

> Do you have a graphical console or text? I believe there are fixes in
> 2.4.18-preX to decrease the 3dfx banshee/v3 pixel clock or something to
> alleviate this issue. That'll be in the 3dfx framebuffer driver.
>
> Or, of course, it could be something entirely different....
I use 2.4.18-pre7 now

> ____________________
> Daniel J Blueman

2002-01-28 20:41:46

by grundig

On 28 ene 2002, 16:12:34, Zwane Mwaikambo wrote:

> On Mon, 28 Jan 2002, Zwane Mwaikambo wrote:
>
> > Do you guys have CONFIG_MTRR and/or CONFIG_FB_VESA enabled? Also which
> > motherboard chipset?
I have CONFIG_MTRR enabled. CONFIG_FB_VESA is disabled.
Moterhboard: MS-5571
Chipset: SIS 5571 Trinity, Video card voodoo 3 3000 PCI

> Forgot to mention, which XFree86 version?

X 4.1.0 (debian woody release)

Diego Calleja.

> Cheers,
> Zwane Mwaikambo
>
> -

by Mark Zealey

On Sun, Jan 27, 2002 at 12:15:01PM +0000, Diego Calleja wrote:

> I can see fonts corruption when switching from X to console. I use last
> stable kernel, but it's been hapenning from earlier versions. I use
> iso-8959-15 fonts in console, with tdfx drm module for X, my video card is voodoo 3 3000 PCI.
> I hope this can help.

Yes, I've been seeing this too, it's happened in 2.2.19, 2.2.20 and 2.4.17 (for
me). Voodoo banshee PCI card.. it can be annoying, but another switch usially
fixes it...

--

Mark Zealey

UL++++>$ G!>(GCM/GCS/GS/GM) dpu? s:-@ a16! C++++>$ P++++>+++++$ L+++>+++++$
!E---? W+++>$ N- !o? !w--- O? !M? !V? !PS !PE--@ PGP+? r++ !t---?@ !X---?
!R- b+ !tv b+ DI+ D+? G+++ e>+++++ !h++* r!-- y--

(http://www.geekcode.com)

2002-01-27 13:01:53

by Daniel J Blueman

Do you have a graphical console or text? I believe there are fixes in
2.4.18-preX to decrease the 3dfx banshee/v3 pixel clock or something to
alleviate this issue. That'll be in the 3dfx framebuffer driver.

Or, of course, it could be something entirely different....
____________________
Daniel J Blueman

> On Sun, Jan 27, 2002 at 12:15:01PM +0000, Diego Calleja wrote:
> > I can see fonts corruption when switching from X to console. I use
> > last stable kernel, but it's been hapenning from earlier
> versions. I
> > use iso-8959-15 fonts in console, with tdfx drm module for
> X, my video
> > card is voodoo 3 3000 PCI. I hope this can help.
>
> Yes, I've been seeing this too, it's happened in 2.2.19,
> 2.2.20 and 2.4.17 (for me). Voodoo banshee PCI card.. it can
> be annoying, but another switch usially fixes it...

2002-01-27 13:34:11

by Mark Zealey

On Sun, Jan 27, 2002 at 01:00:57PM -0000, Daniel J Blueman wrote:

> Do you have a graphical console or text? I believe there are fixes in
> 2.4.18-preX to decrease the 3dfx banshee/v3 pixel clock or something to
> alleviate this issue. That'll be in the 3dfx framebuffer driver.
>
> Or, of course, it could be something entirely different....

Text at something like 32x80 and graphics in X at 640x480. This seems to be a
character map corruption problem, like an > will only have the / bit showing on
it, or an ! will be half-sized etc. Also happens with other chars, but a flip
back into X and then console again usially fixes it

--

Mark Zealey

UL++++>$ G!>(GCM/GCS/GS/GM) dpu? s:-@ a16! C++++>$ P++++>+++++$ L+++>+++++$
!E---? W+++>$ N- !o? !w--- O? !M? !V? !PS !PE--@ PGP+? r++ !t---?@ !X---?
!R- b+ !tv b+ DI+ D+? G+++ e>+++++ !h++* r!-- y--

(http://www.geekcode.com)

2002-01-27 14:35:54

by jurriaan

On Sun, Jan 27, 2002 at 01:33:48PM +0000, Mark Zealey wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 27, 2002 at 01:00:57PM -0000, Daniel J Blueman wrote:
>
> > Do you have a graphical console or text? I believe there are fixes in
> > 2.4.18-preX to decrease the 3dfx banshee/v3 pixel clock or something to
> > alleviate this issue. That'll be in the 3dfx framebuffer driver.

That fix only becomes active when the pixelclock is over half the maximum
value for the DAC on your card.
> > Or, of course, it could be something entirely different....
>
> Text at something like 32x80 and graphics in X at 640x480. This seems to be a
> character map corruption problem, like an > will only have the / bit showing on
> it, or an ! will be half-sized etc. Also happens with other chars, but a flip
> back into X and then console again usially fixes it
>
> --
That means it would be difficult to hit with the console at 80x32 and X at
640x480, unless you run at a ridiculous vertical frequency.
Anyway, it's simple to test if this fix caused it by replacing txfxfb.c
with a version from before 2.4.18-pre6.

Since I proposed this fix, I'd be intertested to know if this fix caused it.

Let me know,
Jurriaan

> Mark Zealey
> [email protected]
> [email protected]
>
> UL++++>$ G!>(GCM/GCS/GS/GM) dpu? s:-@ a16! C++++>$ P++++>+++++$ L+++>+++++$
> !E---? W+++>$ N- !o? !w--- O? !M? !V? !PS !PE--@ PGP+? r++ !t---?@ !X---?
> !R- b+ !tv b+ DI+ D+? G+++ e>+++++ !h++* r!-- y--
>
> (http://www.geekcode.com)
> -

by Zwane Mwaikambo

Do you guys have CONFIG_MTRR and/or CONFIG_FB_VESA enabled? Also which
motherboard chipset?

Regards,
Zwane Mwaikambo

2002-01-28 14:17:59

by Zwane Mwaikambo

On Mon, 28 Jan 2002, Zwane Mwaikambo wrote:

> Do you guys have CONFIG_MTRR and/or CONFIG_FB_VESA enabled? Also which
> motherboard chipset?

Forgot to mention, which XFree86 version?

Cheers,
Zwane Mwaikambo

2002-01-28 15:57:11

by Mark Zealey

On Mon, Jan 28, 2002 at 04:12:34PM +0200, Zwane Mwaikambo wrote:

> On Mon, 28 Jan 2002, Zwane Mwaikambo wrote:
>
> > Do you guys have CONFIG_MTRR and/or CONFIG_FB_VESA enabled? Also which
> > motherboard chipset?

MTTR, yes, FB, no, chipset is a via apollo MVP3, using X 4.1.0

--

Mark Zealey

UL++++>$ G!>(GCM/GCS/GS/GM) dpu? s:-@ a16! C++++>$ P++++>+++++$ L+++>+++++$
!E---? W+++>$ N- !o? !w--- O? !M? !V? !PS !PE--@ PGP+? r++ !t---?@ !X---?
!R- b+ !tv b+ DI+ D+? G+++ e>+++++ !h++* r!-- y--

(http://www.geekcode.com)

2002-01-28 16:39:41

by Dieter Nützel

On Mon, Jan 28, 2002 at 04:12:34PM +0200, Zwane Mwaikambo wrote:

> On Mon, 28 Jan 2002, Zwane Mwaikambo wrote:
>
> > Do you guys have CONFIG_MTRR and/or CONFIG_FB_VESA enabled? Also which
> > motherboard chipset?

MTRR, of course (do you like 2D and even 3D hardware accelerated without
MTRR?), FB, no, chipset is a AMD 750 (Irongate C4), using X 4.1.99.1 DRI CVS.

I am with the DRI devel team and saw it occasionally with XFree86 DRI CVS
trunk and the latest mesa-4-0-branch. At that time I had FB enabled as I
remember right.

The current DRI stuff is "only" missing the latest XFree86 4.2.0 release 2D
code. Update is under way.

I can _NOT_ see it without FB and currently running
2.4.18-pre7-J6-VM-23-preempt-lock.

/home/nuetzel> cat /proc/mtrr
reg00: base=0x00000000 ( 0MB), size= 512MB: write-back, count=1
reg01: base=0x20000000 ( 512MB), size= 128MB: write-back, count=1
reg02: base=0xec103000 (3777MB), size= 4KB: write-combining, count=1
reg03: base=0xe0000000 (3584MB), size= 64MB: write-combining, count=2

Voodoo5 5500 AGP.

Regards,
Dieter
--
Dieter N?tzel
Graduate Student, Computer Science

University of Hamburg
Department of Computer Science
@home: [email protected]

2002-01-28 21:15:52

by Chris Meadors

On 28 xxx -1, Diego Calleja wrote:

> X 4.1.0 (debian woody release)

I was going to pipe up and say that I think 4.2.0 fixed the problem. But
today running a 2.4.17 kernel, and X 4.2.0, I flopped out of X and to look
at e-mail on a normal text console (132x60) to find the bottom of my '7's
eaten away.

This font corruption has seemed to have gotten better over time (orginally
I saw thins like yellow blinking question marks on red background
scattered about my screen a year ago), 2.4.17 and 4.2.0 seem to have the
problem at an all time low.

-Chris
--
Two penguins were walking on an iceberg. The first penguin said to the
second, "you look like you are wearing a tuxedo." The second penguin

2002-01-29 06:50:34

by Zwane Mwaikambo

On Mon, 28 Jan 2002, Dieter [iso-8859-15] N?tzel wrote:

> MTRR, of course (do you like 2D and even 3D hardware accelerated without
> MTRR?), FB, no, chipset is a AMD 750 (Irongate C4), using X 4.1.99.1 DRI CVS.

The reason why i ask is because i was experiencing font corruption with
MTRRs enabled and X segfaulting with 4.x and a VIA Apollo pro (mostly
because with 3.3.6 i never setup the MTRRs myself) and a friend of mine was
seeing corruption plus the occasional lockup with his KT133. Disabling MTRRs
solved both our lockup problems, mind you i soon switched back to my older
440BX setup and my problems went away. I also asked about FB because my particular card
(ATI Rage IIC) never gets MTRRs working in X4.1 unless i have it FB
enabled.

Regards,
Zwane Mwaikambo

2002-01-29 14:36:22

by Dieter Nützel

On Tuesday, 29. January 2002 07:45, Zwane Mwaikambo wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Jan 2002, Dieter [iso-8859-15] N?tzel wrote:
> > MTRR, of course (do you like 2D and even 3D hardware accelerated without
> > MTRR?), FB, no, chipset is a AMD 750 (Irongate C4), using X 4.1.99.1 DRI
> > CVS.
>
> The reason why i ask is because i was experiencing font corruption with
> MTRRs enabled and X segfaulting with 4.x and a VIA Apollo pro

That make sense.

> (mostly because with 3.3.6 i never setup the MTRRs myself)

We 3.3.6 you have to do it some times.

> and a friend of mine was seeing corruption plus the occasional lockup with
> his KT133. Disabling MTRRs solved both our lockup problems,

This could be all the VIA/mobo/BIOS problems widely discussed.
Maybe the latest AGP GART issue.

> mind you i soon switched back to my older 440BX setup and my problems went
> away.

Some point at Intel 'cause they "designed" the AGP port with UP only in mind
and AMD's Athlon/Duron is designed for SMP from the ground.

> I also asked about FB because my particular card (ATI Rage IIC) never gets
> MTRRs working in X4.1 unless i have it FB enabled.

Have you ever looked at XFree and/or DRI devel?
I think this could and should be solved. Without notice nobody cares...

You should definitely go with XFree86 4.2.0. It is out and most distros have
packages available. Then look deeper into the MTRR problem.

Good luck.
Dieter
--
Dieter N?tzel
Graduate Student, Computer Science

University of Hamburg
Department of Computer Science
@home: [email protected]

2002-01-29 14:46:23

by Zwane Mwaikambo

On Tue, 29 Jan 2002, Dieter [iso-8859-15] N?tzel wrote:

> > (mostly because with 3.3.6 i never setup the MTRRs myself)
>
> We 3.3.6 you have to do it some times.

Yep mine never got enabled per default, if i enabled it i would experience
the same segfaults and font corruption so i got 3.3.6 to "behave" like
4.1 default and reproduced the problem.

> This could be all the VIA/mobo/BIOS problems widely discussed.
> Maybe the latest AGP GART issue.

This was about a year ago, and i wasn't aware of an issue.

> Have you ever looked at XFree and/or DRI devel?
> I think this could and should be solved. Without notice nobody cares...

I think i'll do that.

> You should definitely go with XFree86 4.2.0. It is out and most distros have
> packages available. Then look deeper into the MTRR problem.

Thanks for reply, i'm going to resurrect that board ;)

Cheers,
Zwane Mwaikambo

2002-01-30 10:21:17

by Zwane Mwaikambo

On 28 xxx -1, Diego Calleja wrote:

> On 28 ene 2002, 16:12:34, Zwane Mwaikambo wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, 28 Jan 2002, Zwane Mwaikambo wrote:
> >
> > > Do you guys have CONFIG_MTRR and/or CONFIG_FB_VESA enabled? Also which
> > > motherboard chipset?
> I have CONFIG_MTRR enabled. CONFIG_FB_VESA is disabled.
> Moterhboard: MS-5571
> Chipset: SIS 5571 Trinity, Video card voodoo 3 3000 PCI
> >
> > Forgot to mention, which XFree86 version?
>
> X 4.1.0 (debian woody release)

Can you try reproduce the font corruption with CONFIG_MTRR disabled, just
for my amusement. I would greatly appreciate it.

Cheers,
Zwane Mwaikambo

2002-01-31 21:03:22

by grundig

> Can you try reproduce the font corruption with CONFIG_MTRR disabled, just
> for my amusement. I would greatly appreciate it.
>
> Cheers,
> Zwane Mwaikambo
I can reproduce it whith CONFIG_MTRR disabled. It happens again.