2001-11-22 22:40:43

by Shaya Potter

Subject: Thinkpad t21 hard lockup when left overnight

When I've left my thinkpad on overnight (without apm --suspend'ing it)
when I wake up in the morning, it's locked up hard. For some reason it
seems to run for a few hours w/o any interaction on the machine itself,
then it just dies. I did a test where I ssh'd into the box and ran a
simple while [ 1 ] { data ; sleep 30 } test, and it died after 3,4 hours
of inactivity.

I've seen this at least since 2.4.13-AC5, and see it currently in
.15-pre8.

I'm using the pcmcia package (instead of the kernel's because I can't
get my orinoco card to work with the kernel's driver) and I always have
my xircom (ibm rebranded) card inside when it crashes (so the associated
module installed). I'm also using the thinkpad module (tpctl related).
I also have the cs46xx module installed, as well as using devfs + ext3
(though would the last 2 really have anything to do with it?). The
kernel is compiled with usb support, and the rest should be a fairly
normal kernel build. How would I go about trying to diagnose why the
machine is locking up hard.

Nothing is in syslog when I reboot.

thanks,

shaya potter

2001-11-23 02:28:00

by Jeff Chua

Subject: Re: Thinkpad t21 hard lockup when left overnight

On 22 Nov 2001, Shaya Potter wrote:

> When I've left my thinkpad on overnight (without apm --suspend'ing it)
> when I wake up in the morning, it's locked up hard. For some reason it
> seems to run for a few hours w/o any interaction on the machine itself,

You need to run apmd. Without it, it'll freeze your system. I had a 240X
and a 240Z. Both will freeze after a while if I don't run apmd.

The Thinkpad works better under Linux than Windows98!

Jeff

2001-11-23 02:44:02

by Shaya Potter

On Thu, 2001-11-22 at 21:27, Jeff Chua wrote:

> On 22 Nov 2001, Shaya Potter wrote:
>
> > When I've left my thinkpad on overnight (without apm --suspend'ing it)
> > when I wake up in the morning, it's locked up hard. For some reason it
> > seems to run for a few hours w/o any interaction on the machine itself,
>
> You need to run apmd. Without it, it'll freeze your system. I had a 240X
> and a 240Z. Both will freeze after a while if I don't run apmd.
>
> The Thinkpad works better under Linux than Windows98!

I am.

root 254 0.0 0.1 1292 508 ? S 08:58 0:00
/usr/sbin/apmd -P /etc/apm/apmd_proxy

2001-11-23 04:15:17

by Jeff Chua

On 22 Nov 2001, Shaya Potter wrote:

> /usr/sbin/apmd -P /etc/apm/apmd_proxy

What version of apmd? My says "apmd version 3.0final"

You might want to call IBM to check if there's a more recent bios upgrade
that you can get. Check for T21 at the IBM site below ...

http://www.pc.ibm.com/support?lang=en_US&page=brand&brand=IBM+ThinkPad

Look for T21 under the device driver file matrices.

(Fix) Hang up occurs when suspend/resume is done on a ThinkPad
with HDD adapter without a hard disk drive in the ultrabay 2000.
(Fix) ACPI compatible Linux hangs up at boot timing.

My /usr/src/linux/.config ...

# CONFIG_ACPI is not set
CONFIG_APM=m
# CONFIG_APM_IGNORE_USER_SUSPEND is not set
CONFIG_APM_DO_ENABLE=y
CONFIG_APM_CPU_IDLE=y
# CONFIG_APM_DISPLAY_BLANK is not set
# CONFIG_APM_RTC_IS_GMT is not set
# CONFIG_APM_ALLOW_INTS is not set
# CONFIG_APM_REAL_MODE_POWER_OFF is not set

I don't know whether the above will help or not, but it's worth a try.

Jeff

2001-11-23 04:26:27

by Shaya Potter

On Thu, 2001-11-22 at 23:14, Jeff Chua wrote:

> On 22 Nov 2001, Shaya Potter wrote:
>
> > /usr/sbin/apmd -P /etc/apm/apmd_proxy
>
> What version of apmd? My says "apmd version 3.0final"

same :)

spotter@zaphod:~$ dpkg --status apmd |grep Version
Version: 3.0.1-1

> You might want to call IBM to check if there's a more recent bios upgrade
> that you can get. Check for T21 at the IBM site below ...
>
> http://www.pc.ibm.com/support?lang=en_US&page=brand&brand=IBM+ThinkPad
>
> Look for T21 under the device driver file matrices.
>
> (Fix) Hang up occurs when suspend/resume is done on a ThinkPad
> with HDD adapter without a hard disk drive in the ultrabay 2000.
> (Fix) ACPI compatible Linux hangs up at boot timing.

I have a fairly recent version. I boot it into windows for class once
or twice a week (shoot me, I find it easier to take notes in MS Word,
than in AbiWord), and since the classroom is wired for wireless ethernet
I usually use that time to use IBM's automated utility to check for
updates, and it checks and updates the bios appropriatly if there are
any updates.

> My /usr/src/linux/.config ...
>
> # CONFIG_ACPI is not set
> CONFIG_APM=m
> # CONFIG_APM_IGNORE_USER_SUSPEND is not set
all same
> CONFIG_APM_DO_ENABLE=y
different
> CONFIG_APM_CPU_IDLE=y
same
> # CONFIG_APM_DISPLAY_BLANK is not set
different
> # CONFIG_APM_RTC_IS_GMT is not set
(same)
> # CONFIG_APM_ALLOW_INTS is not set
(different)
> # CONFIG_APM_REAL_MODE_POWER_OFF is not set
(same)

will try adjusting them to your values, and seeing if it locks up on me
tonight :)

shaya

2001-11-23 09:19:24

by Shaya Potter

just woke up to a locked up solid machine. It seemed to have locked up
after about 2 hours of inactivity on the machine.

shaya

On Thu, 2001-11-22 at 23:25, Shaya Potter wrote:
> On Thu, 2001-11-22 at 23:14, Jeff Chua wrote:
> >

> > On 22 Nov 2001, Shaya Potter wrote:
> >
> > > /usr/sbin/apmd -P /etc/apm/apmd_proxy
> >
> > What version of apmd? My says "apmd version 3.0final"
>
> same :)
>
> spotter@zaphod:~$ dpkg --status apmd |grep Version
> Version: 3.0.1-1
>

> > You might want to call IBM to check if there's a more recent bios upgrade
> > that you can get. Check for T21 at the IBM site below ...
> >
> > http://www.pc.ibm.com/support?lang=en_US&page=brand&brand=IBM+ThinkPad
> >
> > Look for T21 under the device driver file matrices.
> >
> > (Fix) Hang up occurs when suspend/resume is done on a ThinkPad
> > with HDD adapter without a hard disk drive in the ultrabay 2000.
> > (Fix) ACPI compatible Linux hangs up at boot timing.
>
> I have a fairly recent version. I boot it into windows for class once
> or twice a week (shoot me, I find it easier to take notes in MS Word,
> than in AbiWord), and since the classroom is wired for wireless ethernet
> I usually use that time to use IBM's automated utility to check for
> updates, and it checks and updates the bios appropriatly if there are
> any updates.
>

> > My /usr/src/linux/.config ...
> >
> > # CONFIG_ACPI is not set
> > CONFIG_APM=m
> > # CONFIG_APM_IGNORE_USER_SUSPEND is not set
> all same
> > CONFIG_APM_DO_ENABLE=y
> different
> > CONFIG_APM_CPU_IDLE=y
> same
> > # CONFIG_APM_DISPLAY_BLANK is not set
> different
> > # CONFIG_APM_RTC_IS_GMT is not set
> (same)
> > # CONFIG_APM_ALLOW_INTS is not set
> (different)
> > # CONFIG_APM_REAL_MODE_POWER_OFF is not set
> (same)
>
> will try adjusting them to your values, and seeing if it locks up on me
> tonight :)
>
> shaya
>

> -
spotter@{cs.columbia.edu,yucs.org}
http://yucs.org/~spotter/

2001-11-23 15:19:57

by Shaya Potter

hmm. I think so, but I'll check it on my next reboot. This machine
used to survive the night just fine. I might try booting it into a
2.2.19 which I still have on my system, though I'm pretty sure it used
to work in 2.4 as well. Unfortunatly, I don't keep all my kernels
around.

shaya