2003-01-05 13:40:20

by Andrew Walrond

Subject: P4 Xeon operational temperature range

Does anybody know off the top of their head the max tempature at which I
can expect a P4 Xeon to operate ?

TIA Andrew

2003-01-05 14:15:34

by Murray J. Root

Subject: Re: P4 Xeon operational temperature range

On Sun, Jan 05, 2003 at 01:48:11PM +0000, Andrew Walrond wrote:
> Does anybody know off the top of their head the max tempature at which I
> can expect a P4 Xeon to operate ?
>

>From the spec sheets at Intel it looks like the safe range varies a little
between 75 and 78 C depending on the specific Xeon in question.
For example
http://www.intel.com/design/xeon/datashts/290740.htm
page 89 lists ranges of 75-78 depending on core freq.

I only found one chip that went above 78C (81C) but didn't delve into
which it was.

Intel website has crappy navigation, but at least the info is there. :)

--
Murray J. Root
DISCLAIMER: http://www.goldmark.org/jeff/stupid-disclaimers/

2003-01-05 15:17:00

by Andrew Walrond

Ah - many thanks.

Andrew

Murray J. Root wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 05, 2003 at 01:48:11PM +0000, Andrew Walrond wrote:
>
>>Does anybody know off the top of their head the max tempature at which I
>>can expect a P4 Xeon to operate ?
>>

>>From the spec sheets at Intel it looks like the safe range varies a little
> between 75 and 78 C depending on the specific Xeon in question.
> For example
> http://www.intel.com/design/xeon/datashts/290740.htm
> page 89 lists ranges of 75-78 depending on core freq.
>
> I only found one chip that went above 78C (81C) but didn't delve into
> which it was.
>
> Intel website has crappy navigation, but at least the info is there. :)

2003-01-05 17:42:31

by Luigi Genoni

depends on the PIV version,

latest 0.13 micron has a maximum temperature of 69 degrees, but if you are going
under full load over the 50/55 start to be worried.

Luigi

p.s.
For AThlon AMD talks about 95 degrees, but
you should ttry not to go over the 60...

On Sun, 5 Jan 2003, Andrew Walrond wrote:

> Date: Sun, 05 Jan 2003 13:48:11 +0000
> From: Andrew Walrond <[email protected]>
> To: [email protected]
> Subject: P4 Xeon operational temperature range
>
> Does anybody know off the top of their head the max tempature at which I
> can expect a P4 Xeon to operate ?
>
> TIA Andrew
>
> -

by Luigi Genoni

which 1u case are you using?

as important as the CPU coolers are the fan used for fresh air circulation.

On Sun, 5 Jan 2003, Andrew Walrond wrote:

> Date: Sun, 05 Jan 2003 18:51:31 +0000
> From: Andrew Walrond <[email protected]>
> To: [email protected]
> Cc: [email protected]
> Subject: Re: P4 Xeon operational temperature range
>
> Hmmm. This is a dual xeon 2.6 blade in a very tight cluster and seems to
> hovering around 55C. I had a couple strange crashes and wonder if this
> might be the cause I'm unwilling to blame 2.5 ;)
>
> Can anybody recommend a good 1u cooler assembly for socket 603 ?
>
> [email protected] wrote:
> > depends on the PIV version,
> >
> > latest 0.13 micron has a maximum temperature of 69 degrees, but if you are going
> > under full load over the 50/55 start to be worried.
> >
> > Luigi
> >
> > p.s.
> > For AThlon AMD talks about 95 degrees, but
> > you should ttry not to go over the 60...
> >

> > On Sun, 5 Jan 2003, Andrew Walrond wrote:
> >

> >>Date: Sun, 05 Jan 2003 13:48:11 +0000
> >>From: Andrew Walrond <[email protected]>
> >>To: [email protected]
> >>Subject: P4 Xeon operational temperature range
> >>
> >>Does anybody know off the top of their head the max tempature at which I
> >>can expect a P4 Xeon to operate ?
> >>
> >>TIA Andrew
> >>
> >>-
> >>To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in
> >>the body of a message to [email protected]
> >>More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
> >>Please read the FAQ at http://www.tux.org/lkml/

2003-01-05 18:44:03

by Andrew Walrond

[email protected] wrote:
> depends on the PIV version,
>
> latest 0.13 micron has a maximum temperature of 69 degrees, but if you are going
> under full load over the 50/55 start to be worried.
>
> Luigi
>
> p.s.
> For AThlon AMD talks about 95 degrees, but
> you should ttry not to go over the 60...
>

> On Sun, 5 Jan 2003, Andrew Walrond wrote:
>

>>Date: Sun, 05 Jan 2003 13:48:11 +0000
>>From: Andrew Walrond <[email protected]>
>>To: [email protected]
>>Subject: P4 Xeon operational temperature range
>>
>>Does anybody know off the top of their head the max tempature at which I
>>can expect a P4 Xeon to operate ?
>>
>>TIA Andrew
>>
>>-
>>To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in
>>the body of a message to [email protected]
>>More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
>>Please read the FAQ at http://www.tux.org/lkml/

2003-01-05 19:18:43

by Andrew Walrond

Its a bunch of 10u custom cases each containing 10 dual xeon m/b's
mounted vertically. Air is ducted between the blades and over the heat
sinks, but I think a thin (hence 1u) heatsink fan combo might help.