2002-02-19 09:38:22

by Jim Roland

Subject: Kernel ethernet alias limit

I seem to remember back in either Kernel 2.0 or 2.2 there was a limit of 256
aliases within the ethX aliasing (eg, eth0, then eth0:0 thru eth0:255).

Has the limit on this been expanded with Kernel 2.4, is it stable and/or
advised? I have a need to bind more than 256 addresses to a single
interface. Without installing additional network cards.

Thanks,
Jim Roland, RHCE

2002-02-19 10:18:45

by Luis Garces

Subject: Re: Kernel ethernet alias limit

Hi!

Don't know the exact figures, but I was recently able to create more
than a thousand eth0:X interfaces in a single machine with 2.2.19
kernels. And it worked perfectly (answer to ping from another host, etc)

Jim Roland wrote:

> I seem to remember back in either Kernel 2.0 or 2.2 there was a limit of 256
> aliases within the ethX aliasing (eg, eth0, then eth0:0 thru eth0:255).
>
> Has the limit on this been expanded with Kernel 2.4, is it stable and/or
> advised? I have a need to bind more than 256 addresses to a single
> interface. Without installing additional network cards.
>
> Thanks,
> Jim Roland, RHCE
>

> -

Luis
****

2002-02-19 12:11:39

by bert hubert

On Tue, Feb 19, 2002 at 09:39:30AM +0000, Jim Roland wrote:
> I seem to remember back in either Kernel 2.0 or 2.2 there was a limit of 256
> aliases within the ethX aliasing (eg, eth0, then eth0:0 thru eth0:255).
>
> Has the limit on this been expanded with Kernel 2.4, is it stable and/or
> advised? I have a need to bind more than 256 addresses to a single
> interface. Without installing additional network cards.

Use a loopback interface - you can easily bind to a /8 if you want this way.

I think this is documented in the 'ip' documentation in 'iproute2' from
Alexey. It has also been explained on list here.

Regards,

bert

--
http://www.PowerDNS.com Versatile DNS Software & Services
http://www.tk the dot in .tk

2002-02-19 18:06:10

by David Ford

You don't need dummy ethN:N interfaces. Use the iproute2 tools, 'ip'
specifically.

ip link set eth0 down
ip address flush eth0
ip address add 1.2.3.4/24 brd + dev eth0
ip address add 1.2.3.5/25 brd + dev eth0
ip address add ....to your heart's content
ip link set eth0 up
ip route add default via 2.3.8.9 via 5.4.3.2 dev eth0

See the scripts on http://blue-labs.org/ for some examples.

David

Jim Roland wrote:

>I seem to remember back in either Kernel 2.0 or 2.2 there was a limit of 256
>aliases within the ethX aliasing (eg, eth0, then eth0:0 thru eth0:255).
>
>Has the limit on this been expanded with Kernel 2.4, is it stable and/or
>advised? I have a need to bind more than 256 addresses to a single
>interface. Without installing additional network cards.
>
>Thanks,
>Jim Roland, RHCE
>

>-
>the body of a message to [email protected]

smime.p7s (3.18 kB)
S/MIME Cryptographic Signature

2002-02-19 18:20:31

by David Lang

if you use the new ip tools you can alias a large entblock in a single
command, but even with ifconfig you can do a lot (I have one machine with
>1770 ipaddresses assigned via ifconfig with no problem)

David Lang