2002-06-07 09:43:47

by Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk

Subject: CMD-649 support? (in a hurry - please help)

hi

I just got a call from my vendor, telling me my ordered configuration with
three promise controllers were impossible, as the promise BIOS couldn't
handle more than eight drives, no matter how many controllers you had. So.

He suggested using a card using the CMD-649 chipset (see link below). Is this
supported in Linux? Is the CMD-648 driver able to support CMD-649?

http://www.cmd.com/SupportInfo.cfm?ProdID=168

thanks

roy
--
Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk, Datavaktmester

Computers are like air conditioners.

by David Miller

He suggested using a card using the CMD-649 chipset (see link below). Is this
supported in Linux? Is the CMD-648 driver able to support CMD-649?

http://www.cmd.com/SupportInfo.cfm?ProdID=168

Yeah the Linux driver supports them, but CMD chips in general are
pretty buggy...

2002-06-07 10:20:02

by Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk

On Friday 07 June 2002 11:54, David S. Miller wrote:
> ? ?http://www.cmd.com/SupportInfo.cfm?ProdID=168
>
> Yeah the Linux driver supports them, but CMD chips in general are
> pretty buggy...

oh. anyone around with any experience with the 649?
--
Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk, Datavaktmester

Computers are like air conditioners.

by Ruth Ivimey-Cook

On Fri, 7 Jun 2002, Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk wrote:

>hi
>
>I just got a call from my vendor, telling me my ordered configuration with
>three promise controllers were impossible, as the promise BIOS couldn't
>handle more than eight drives, no matter how many controllers you had. So.

I noticed a while ago that there is a little-advertised 4-cable promise
controller available (i.e. 8 disks from one PCI card). It might be the case
that the BIOS for this card can cope with one other similar card, to give a
max of 16 disks.

HTH,

Ruth

--
Ruth Ivimey-Cook
Software engineer and technical writer.

2002-06-07 12:09:39

by Alan

On Fri, 2002-06-07 at 12:42, Ruth Ivimey-Cook wrote:
> I noticed a while ago that there is a little-advertised 4-cable promise
> controller available (i.e. 8 disks from one PCI card). It might be the case
> that the BIOS for this card can cope with one other similar card, to give a
> max of 16 disks.

Promise also do a 6 channel hardware raid card for IDE - the SX6000, and
supertrak 100. For lots of disks I would strongly recommend the 3ware
cards. Just watch who you buy from the prices vary wildly..

Alan

2002-06-07 12:11:32

by Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk

> Promise also do a 6 channel hardware raid card for IDE - the SX6000, and
> supertrak 100. For lots of disks I would strongly recommend the 3ware
> cards. Just watch who you buy from the prices vary wildly..

I thought of 3ware after I ordered the stuff. I just wanted a low-cost
solutions, and at that time, someone had told me the 3ware cards cost some
$1300 or something ...
--
Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk, Datavaktmester

Computers are like air conditioners.

by Anssi Saari

Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk wrote:

> oh. anyone around with any experience with the 649?

Yes, but very limited. So far the only thing I've plugged into mine is a CD
writer. Haven't tried writing yet, though. Reading works, but
enabling DMA for the drive caused a crash. I got the card to see
if it could be a solution to my CD writing problem (details in
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=101826880719379&w=2) and also
because they go for only 29 euros around here.

It would be nice to know what bugs exist in current CMD chips, namely
649 and 680. David S. Miller seems to know?

2002-06-07 13:14:50

by Stefan Schwandter

Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk wrote:

> oh. anyone around with any experience with the 649?

I have got a no name IDE controller card with a CMD 649 for one year
now and never had problems with it under linux.

regards, Stefan

--
Wanna listen to my music? <------
----> http://www.shockfrosted.org

2002-06-08 04:06:37

by Barry K. Nathan

On Fri, Jun 07, 2002 at 12:19:55PM +0200, Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk wrote:
> oh. anyone around with any experience with the 649?

00:0f.0 RAID bus controller: CMD Technology Inc PCI0649 (rev 02)

I've used various hard drives on it (Maxtor, Seagate, WD) at various
points in time. Works great for me. (On my Iwill DVD266-R, the onboard
VIA IDE corrupts data occasionally under Windows but the onboard CMD
doesn't.)

-Barry K. Nathan <[email protected]>

2002-06-09 08:12:01

by Andre Hedrick

You need to be aware that many drives now under report performance on seek
to lba0 and read on the whole device. I suggest you retry on a partition.

On Fri, 7 Jun 2002, Samium Gromoff wrote:

> > > Yeah the Linux driver supports them, but CMD chips in general are
> > > pretty buggy...
>
> > oh. anyone around with any experience with the 649?
> --
> > Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk, Datavaktmester
>
> i have one. 2.4.19-pre3, 1x IBM 60GXP - 1 month
> or so of a stable usage.
> also it runs faster on udma66 than on udma100, but thats beyond me... ;)
> p166, 40M
> mwdma2 - 11 MB/s
> udma4 - 13.5 MB/s
> udma5 - 11.5 MB/s