2002-06-11 01:30:47

by Keith Owens

Subject: 2.5.21 no source for several objects

These objects are referenced in makefiles but no source exists.

arch/i386/kernel/Makefile
obj-$(CONFIG_EISA) += eisa.o

drivers/acorn/char/Makefile
obj-$(CONFIG_L7200_KEYB) += defkeymap-l7200.o keyb_l7200.o - no source for keyb_l7200.o

drivers/char/Makefile
obj-$(CONFIG_SERIAL_SA1100) += serial_sa1100.o

drivers/mtd/chips/Makefile
obj-$(CONFIG_MTD_INTELPROBE) += intel_probe.o

drivers/net/Makefile
obj-$(CONFIG_VETH) += veth.o

drivers/video/Makefile
obj-$(CONFIG_FBCON_IPLAN2P16) += fbcon-iplan2p16.o

fs/nls/Makefile
obj-$(CONFIG_NLS_ISO8859_10) += nls_iso8859-10.o
obj-$(CONFIG_NLS_ABC) += nls_abc.o

net/decnet/Makefile
decnet-$(CONFIG_DECNET_FW) += dn_fw.o

net/sched/Makefile
obj-$(CONFIG_NET_SCH_HPFQ) += sch_hpfq.o
obj-$(CONFIG_NET_SCH_HFSC) += sch_hfsc.o

None of these were picked up by the existing build system, they were
all detected by kbuild 2.5. This is one of the advantages of having a
build system that knows about everything.

2002-06-11 09:24:58

by Russell King

Subject: Re: 2.5.21 no source for several objects

On Tue, Jun 11, 2002 at 11:30:39AM +1000, Keith Owens wrote:
> drivers/acorn/char/Makefile
> obj-$(CONFIG_L7200_KEYB) += defkeymap-l7200.o keyb_l7200.o - no source for keyb_l7200.o
> drivers/char/Makefile
> obj-$(CONFIG_SERIAL_SA1100) += serial_sa1100.o
>
> None of these were picked up by the existing build system, they were
> all detected by kbuild 2.5. This is one of the advantages of having a
> build system that knows about everything.

Sounds like kbuild 2.5 is more a feature bloated Big Brother Build System.

The serial stuff has moved in the -rmk tree, and the above drivers/char
is no longer relevant. Removing it and the other ARM serial drivers
in drivers/char would make the -rmk patches smaller. 8)

The keyboard driver for the Linkup Systems L7200 stuff was never merged.
People keep talking about fixing that, but seems that no one has the
information to write such a thing, and Steven Hill (iirc) has since
moved onto greater things. I believe people do use Linux on L720x
without the keyboard driver though!

However, since the ARM community is mostly centred around embedded stuff,
it is impossible to judge the size or use of any part of the ARM Linux
kernel. It's also gradually sliding towards a completely closed, non-
sharing development community.

--
Russell King ([email protected]) The developer of ARM Linux

by Dave Jones

On Tue, Jun 11, 2002 at 11:30:39AM +1000, Keith Owens wrote:
> These objects are referenced in makefiles but no source exists.
>
> arch/i386/kernel/Makefile
> obj-$(CONFIG_EISA) += eisa.o

My bad. Can be deleted.

> None of these were picked up by the existing build system, they were
> all detected by kbuild 2.5.

It should bite as soon as someone tries to compile a kernel with EISA
support. If it doesn't, that really needs fixing.

Dave.

--
| Dave Jones. http://www.codemonkey.org.uk
| SuSE Labs

2002-06-11 13:20:14

by Andries E. Brouwer

>> obj-$(CONFIG_EISA) += eisa.o

> It should bite as soon as someone tries to compile a kernel with EISA

Yes, and it does.

On the other hand, yesterday I did some more SCSI stuff
and deleted constants.h. The build failed because constants.h
could not be found. And "make depend" does not do anything
anymore.

What should I have done (instead of the "make mrproper"
that of course worked)?

Andries

2002-06-13 14:09:04

by James Simmons

> drivers/video/Makefile
> obj-$(CONFIG_FBCON_IPLAN2P16) += fbcon-iplan2p16.o

I never seen that come to be. Geert any ideas on this? Since we are
switching to the new api then the iplan stuff will be replaced eventually.
Do we just remove it in this case.

2002-06-13 14:15:09

by Geert Uytterhoeven

On Thu, 13 Jun 2002, James Simmons wrote:
> > drivers/video/Makefile
> > obj-$(CONFIG_FBCON_IPLAN2P16) += fbcon-iplan2p16.o
>
> I never seen that come to be. Geert any ideas on this? Since we are
> switching to the new api then the iplan stuff will be replaced eventually.
> Do we just remove it in this case.

Support for 16 bpp interleaved bitplanes on Atari has never been implemented.
You can remove it.

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

Geert

--
Geert Uytterhoeven -- There's lots of Linux beyond ia32 -- [email protected]

-- Linus Torvalds