2002-06-27 16:03:05

by Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk

Subject: Can't find watchdog timer (sc1200)

Hi

I can't make linux (2.4.19-rc1) detect the watchdog timer in the sc1200. Any
ideas?

Should this one show up in /proc/pci?

output from cpuinfo is below

thanks

roy

[root@localhost linux]# cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor : 0
vendor_id : Geode by NSC
cpu family : 5
model : 9
model name : Unknown
stepping : 1
cpu MHz : 266.651
fdiv_bug : no
hlt_bug : no
f00f_bug : no
coma_bug : no
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 2
wp : yes
flags : fpu tsc msr cx8 cmov mmx cxmmx
bogomips : 530.84

--
Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk, Datavaktmester

Computers are like air conditioners.

by Zwane Mwaikambo

Subject: Re: Can't find watchdog timer (sc1200)

On Thu, 27 Jun 2002, Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk wrote:

> I can't make linux (2.4.19-rc1) detect the watchdog timer in the sc1200. Any
> ideas?

Its only in -ac, mainly because its untested and experimental. Check
2.4.19-pre10-ac2

Cheers,
Zwane
--
http://function.linuxpower.ca

2002-06-27 17:46:33

by Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk

On Thursday 27 June 2002 19:09, Rob Radez wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 27, 2002 at 06:03:11PM +0200, Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > I can't make linux (2.4.19-rc1) detect the watchdog timer in the sc1200.
> > Any ideas?
> >
> > Should this one show up in /proc/pci?
>
> What happens when you try to load the module? With isapnp
> enabled/disabled?

When it's hard linked, I can't find anything
Haven't tried with module yet

--

On Thursday 27 June 2002 18:45, Zwane Mwaikambo wrote:
> On Thu, 27 Jun 2002, Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk wrote:
> > I can't make linux (2.4.19-rc1) detect the watchdog timer in the sc1200.
> > Any ideas?
>
> Its only in -ac, mainly because its untested and experimental. Check
> 2.4.19-pre10-ac2

there is no code for sc1200 in the pre10-ac2 patch. it's all in the official,
and nothing has changed to -pr1

any other suggestions?

--
Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk, Datavaktmester

Computers are like air conditioners.

by Christer Weinigel

Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk <[email protected]> writes:

> I can't make linux (2.4.19-rc1) detect the watchdog timer in the sc1200. Any
> ideas?

http://basselope.nano-system.com/~wingel/scx200_wdt.diff

I'm not all that sure if that driver works on the sc1200 because that
driver tries to talk to the watchdog in the SuperI/O chip and that
chip has another watchdog circuit too. I've written a driver for the
other watchdog chip, so if you can, please try this patch against a
2.4.9-pre10 kernel:

http://basselope.nano-system.com/~wingel/scx200_wdt.diff

This patch is a part of my patches for the NatSemi SCx200 family of
chips, so I hope I haven't missed anything. If it works for you,
please drop me a mail and I'll try to get it included in the main
kernel.

/Christer

by Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk

On Sunday 30 June 2002 12:56, Christer Weinigel wrote:
> Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk <[email protected]> writes:
> > I can't make linux (2.4.19-rc1) detect the watchdog timer in the sc1200.
> > Any ideas?
>
> http://basselope.nano-system.com/~wingel/scx200_wdt.diff
>
> I'm not all that sure if that driver works on the sc1200 because that
> driver tries to talk to the watchdog in the SuperI/O chip and that
> chip has another watchdog circuit too. I've written a driver for the
> other watchdog chip, so if you can, please try this patch against a
> 2.4.9-pre10 kernel:

I guess that'll be 2.4.19-pre10? :-)

Thanks, but I'll wait till I get new hardware. the Samsung STCs I were trying
out were in early beta.

roy

--
Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk, Datavaktmester

Computers are like air conditioners.

by Christer Weinigel

Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk <[email protected]> writes:
> On Sunday 30 June 2002 12:56, Christer Weinigel wrote:
> > I'm not all that sure if that driver works on the sc1200 because that
> > driver tries to talk to the watchdog in the SuperI/O chip and that
> > chip has another watchdog circuit too. I've written a driver for the
> > other watchdog chip, so if you can, please try this patch against a
> > 2.4.9-pre10 kernel:
>
> I guess that'll be 2.4.19-pre10? :-)

Correct, my bad.

I've been reading the data sheets for the SC2200 and it seems as if
the watchdog is gone from the integrated SuperI/O, so you should use
my driver instead. Zwane Mwaikambo's driver ought to work on the
NatSemi PC97317 SuperI/O. Hm, I think I have some hardware that I
should be able to test that on.

Oh well, I think I'll just submit my driver to Marcelo and see what
happens. I've cleaned up the driver a bit since the last time I
tried.

/Christer