2002-07-11 12:48:13

by Clemens Schwaighofer

Subject: Athlon + Athlon optimized kernel => _mmx_mmcpy problems

Hi,

I thought, as I have an Athlon, I should recompile my 2.4.18-ac3 kernel
for Athlon optimzied ... yadda ... but this causes serious problems.

After booting, it has quite a lot of depmod problems, with depmod -e it
shows all are '_mmx_mmcpy' and vmware can't compile, cause of the same
error.

so I had to go back to PIII style ... or I wouldn't have been able to
update vmware ... sad thing

--
"Der Krieg ist ein Massaker von Leuten, die sich nicht kennen, zum
Nutzen von Leuten, die sich kennen, aber nicht massakrieren"

2002-07-12 00:29:33

by Ben Greear

Clemens Schwaighofer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I thought, as I have an Athlon, I should recompile my 2.4.18-ac3 kernel
> for Athlon optimzied ... yadda ... but this causes serious problems.
>
> After booting, it has quite a lot of depmod problems, with depmod -e it
> shows all are '_mmx_mmcpy' and vmware can't compile, cause of the same
> error.
>
> so I had to go back to PIII style ... or I wouldn't have been able to
> update vmware ... sad thing

I had this same problem untill I did a make mrproper and re-built from
scratch. Some part of the build system seems to be the problem (make clean
does not help)

--
Ben Greear <[email protected]> <Ben_Greear AT excite.com>
President of Candela Technologies Inc http://www.candelatech.com

2002-07-12 00:34:57

by Alan

> I had this same problem untill I did a make mrproper and re-built from
> scratch. Some part of the build system seems to be the problem (make clean
> does not help)

Known problem. Arch and SMP changes are not handled right. This is fixed
in kbuild 2.5 but that isnt merged into 2.4 (and probably wont be) or
2.5 (where some of the ideas seem to be getting in bit by bit)