2002-07-14 18:23:58

by Bart Verwilst

Subject: sa2opl3 driver b0rkage?

Hello!

I'm using kernel 2.4.19-pre7-ac2, and since i upgraded, arts (KDE's sound
server) keeps on crashing every few minutes :o( I have an OPL3SA2 sound card.

I think the cause is this:

<snip>
Summary of changes from v2.4.18 to v2.4.19-pre1

<[email protected]> (02/03/13 1.160)
- Add tape support to cciss driver (Stephen Cameron)
- Add Permedia3 fb driver (Romain Dolbeau)
- meye driver update (Stelian Pop)
- opl3sa2 update (Zwane Mwaikambo) <---
</snip>

Several KDE bugreports say the same thing, for example:

http://bugs.kde.org/db/32/32415.html

My aRts dies with the messagebox "cpu overload - aborting".

I hope this will be solved soon, so i can enjoy stable sound again :o)

Thanks in advance!

PS Please CC me your replies, since i'm not on this list.

--
Bart Verwilst
Gentoo Linux Developer, Release Coordinator

2002-07-14 19:38:31

by Zwane Mwaikambo

Subject: Re: sa2opl3 driver b0rkage?

On Sun, 14 Jul 2002, Bart Verwilst wrote:

> I'm using kernel 2.4.19-pre7-ac2, and since i upgraded, arts (KDE's sound
> server) keeps on crashing every few minutes :o( I have an OPL3SA2 sound card.

Have you tried going back to a 'working' kernel?

> - opl3sa2 update (Zwane Mwaikambo) <---

That was mostly cleanups, i haven't changed anything which could possibly
affect playback.

> Several KDE bugreports say the same thing, for example:
>
> http://bugs.kde.org/db/32/32415.html

Irregardless, i'll give it a test and give you some feedback

Cheers,
Zwane

--
function.linuxpower.ca

2002-07-15 09:50:55

by Zwane Mwaikambo

On Sun, 14 Jul 2002, Zwane Mwaikambo wrote:

> > Several KDE bugreports say the same thing, for example:
> >
> > http://bugs.kde.org/db/32/32415.html
>
> Irregardless, i'll give it a test and give you some feedback

Hmm i was unable to reproduce with the defaults artsd settings in the
sound configuration. Is there anything different from default in your
setup? E.g. the response time slider thing.

Cheers,
Zwane
--
function.linuxpower.ca