2002-07-18 09:48:32

by Zwane Mwaikambo

Subject: NFS can't get request (2.5.26)

Hi Trond,

I got the following after trying to do tab completion in an NFS fs, and
straight afterwards on another console df(1). the client finally
recovered though.

nfs: task 626 can't get a request slot
nfs: task 627 can't get a request slot
nfs: server montezuma OK
nfs: server montezuma OK

Cheers,
Zwane Mwaikambo
--
function.linuxpower.ca

2002-07-18 11:50:34

by Trond Myklebust

> Hi Trond, I got the following after trying to do tab completion
> in an NFS fs, and straight afterwards on another console df(1).
> the client finally recovered though.

> nfs: task 626 can't get a request slot nfs: task 627 can't get
> a request slot nfs: server montezuma OK nfs: server montezuma
> OK

See the FAQ on nfs.sourceforge.net. The above error message indicates
congestion: either due to slow response from the server or due to some
networking issue.

You don't mention which kernel. Was it with the new RPC code in 2.5.26?

Cheers,
Trond

2002-07-18 12:53:52

by Zwane Mwaikambo

Subject: Re: NFS can't get request (2.5.26)

On Thu, 18 Jul 2002, Trond Myklebust wrote:

> See the FAQ on nfs.sourceforge.net. The above error message indicates
> congestion: either due to slow response from the server or due to some
> networking issue.

100Mbit/FDX crossover cable and stock 2.5.26, there was only about
256kbytes/s
going over the line at the time, with 3c905B on both ends.

Sorry, i'll check out the FAQ.

Cheers,
Zwane Mwaikambo

--