2002-07-22 18:57:45

by Ernst Lehmann

Subject: Problems with AMD 768 IDE support

Hi,

I have here a Dual-Athlon Box, with a AMD760MPX Chipset and AMD768 IDE.

In the base 2.4.18 kernel there seems to be no support for the
IDE-Chipset

So I tried 2.4.19-rc3-ac1 and I got more APIC errors, than I can count
:))

So my question.

Does anybody know where to find a patch for the IDE-Support to the plain
2.4.18 kernel,

or which version of the 2.4.19-rc<x>-ac<x> is stable enough at the
moment to run such a box.

TIA for any help...

--

Bye

Ernst
---------
Ernst Lehmann Email: [email protected]

2002-07-22 19:09:27

by Richard B. Johnson

Subject: Re: Problems with AMD 768 IDE support

On 22 Jul 2002, Ernst Lehmann wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have here a Dual-Athlon Box, with a AMD760MPX Chipset and AMD768 IDE.
>
> In the base 2.4.18 kernel there seems to be no support for the
> IDE-Chipset

It is supposed to be 'standard'. If you enable:

CONFIG_IDE=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_MODES=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_HD=y
... it should work. The amd74xx was seperate, it was a "Viper" chip-set.
I believe that the newer AMD Chip-Sets are generic.

Cheers,
Dick Johnson
The US military has given us many words, FUBAR, SNAFU, now ENRON.
Yes, top management were graduates of West Point and Annapolis.

2002-07-22 19:49:15

by Alan

On Mon, 2002-07-22 at 20:00, Ernst Lehmann wrote:
> Does anybody know where to find a patch for the IDE-Support to the plain
> 2.4.18 kernel,

Pending for 2.4.20

For -ac we are chasing some bugs in the Summit support.
2.4.19-rc1-3 should you fine. The summit fix stuff is waiting until
either I or more likely the IBM guys looking at it figure out what
broke. Its important enough I've left it in broken for some boards until
found.

2002-07-22 20:04:07

by Alan

On Mon, 2002-07-22 at 20:13, Richard B. Johnson wrote:
> On 22 Jul 2002, Ernst Lehmann wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I have here a Dual-Athlon Box, with a AMD760MPX Chipset and AMD768 IDE.
> >
> > In the base 2.4.18 kernel there seems to be no support for the
> > IDE-Chipset
>
> It is supposed to be 'standard'. If you enable:
>
> CONFIG_IDE=y
> CONFIG_BLK_DEV_MODES=y
> CONFIG_BLK_DEV_HD=y
> ... it should work. The amd74xx was seperate, it was a "Viper" chip-set.
> I believe that the newer AMD Chip-Sets are generic.

They are not generic, although they are fairly similar. You need the -ac
tree right now for the 760MP/MPX IDE, although the port wont be hard

2002-07-22 22:08:53

by Kelsey Hudson

On 22 Jul 2002, Ernst Lehmann wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have here a Dual-Athlon Box, with a AMD760MPX Chipset and AMD768 IDE.
>
> In the base 2.4.18 kernel there seems to be no support for the
> IDE-Chipset
>
> So I tried 2.4.19-rc3-ac1 and I got more APIC errors, than I can count
> :))
>
> So my question.
>
> Does anybody know where to find a patch for the IDE-Support to the plain
> 2.4.18 kernel,
>
> or which version of the 2.4.19-rc<x>-ac<x> is stable enough at the
> moment to run such a box.
>
> TIA for any help...

I've got two of these machines running with 2.4.19-rc2 at the moment; no
APIC errors you speak of. Before, they were running 2.4.19-pre9-ac2, also
with no APIC errors. Perhaps you have a hardware problem?

Kelsey Hudson [email protected]
Software Engineer/UNIX Systems Administrator
Compendium Technologies, Inc (619) 725-0771

by Jussi Laako

Ernst Lehmann wrote:

> I have here a Dual-Athlon Box, with a AMD760MPX Chipset and AMD768 IDE.
> In the base 2.4.18 kernel there seems to be no support for the
> IDE-Chipset

I have Tyan Tiger MPX (AMD768) working just fine with my patch set. However,
it currently has only single CPU. Patch is for 2.4.19-pre7.

http://uworld.dyndns.org/projects/linux/

- Jussi Laako

--
PGP key fingerprint: 161D 6FED 6A92 39E2 EB5B 39DD A4DE 63EB C216 1E4B
Available at PGP keyservers