2002-08-05 11:24:10

by Thomas Munck Steenholdt

Subject: i810 sound broken...

I've noticed some writing on lkml on how i810(AC97) sound was broken. Aparantly a couple of fixes have been posted, but I couldn't see where(if at all) those patches have gone... 2.4.19 still does not work and 2.4.19-ac3 won't even load the i810 module.

Does anybody know if the known i810 sound issue has, in fact, been fixed, and if so - in what kernel/patch?

rgds, Thomas

-- Send gratis SMS og brug gratis e-mail p? Everyday.com --

2002-08-05 11:32:07

by Alan

Subject: Re: i810 sound broken...

On Mon, 2002-08-05 at 12:27, Thomas Munck Steenholdt wrote:
> I've noticed some writing on lkml on how i810(AC97) sound was broken.
> Aparantly a couple of fixes have been posted, but I couldn't see
> where(if at all) those patches have gone... 2.4.19 still does not work
> and 2.4.19-ac3 won't even load the i810 module.
>
> Does anybody know if the known i810 sound issue has, in fact, been fixed, and if so - in what kernel/patch?

Its working nicely for me in 2.4.19 and 2.4.19-ac1. The 2.4.19-ac3 tree
has a bug in pci_enable_device which will stop it working if built with
some compilers (by chance it works ok the way I tested it). Thats fixed
in ac4.

The changes in the recent i810 audio are
- Being more pessimistic in our interpretation of codec power up
- Turning on EAPD in case the BIOS didn't do so at boot up

Longer term full EAPD control as we do with the cs46xx is on my list,
paticularly as i8xx laptops are becoming common . (EAPD is the amplifier
power controller)

2002-08-05 13:44:30

by Luigi Genoni

Still OSS modules for i810 does not work with 2.5 kernels, actually 2.4
is fine. No time to switch to alsa (and not interested for now too).

On 5 Aug 2002, Alan Cox wrote:

> Date: 05 Aug 2002 13:54:17 +0100
> From: Alan Cox <[email protected]>
> To: Thomas Munck Steenholdt <[email protected]>
> Cc: [email protected]
> Subject: Re: i810 sound broken...
>
> On Mon, 2002-08-05 at 12:27, Thomas Munck Steenholdt wrote:
> > I've noticed some writing on lkml on how i810(AC97) sound was broken.
> > Aparantly a couple of fixes have been posted, but I couldn't see
> > where(if at all) those patches have gone... 2.4.19 still does not work
> > and 2.4.19-ac3 won't even load the i810 module.
> >
> > Does anybody know if the known i810 sound issue has, in fact, been fixed, and if so - in what kernel/patch?
>
> Its working nicely for me in 2.4.19 and 2.4.19-ac1. The 2.4.19-ac3 tree
> has a bug in pci_enable_device which will stop it working if built with
> some compilers (by chance it works ok the way I tested it). Thats fixed
> in ac4.
>
> The changes in the recent i810 audio are
> - Being more pessimistic in our interpretation of codec power up
> - Turning on EAPD in case the BIOS didn't do so at boot up
>
> Longer term full EAPD control as we do with the cs46xx is on my list,
> paticularly as i8xx laptops are becoming common . (EAPD is the amplifier
> power controller)
>
> -

by Alan

On Mon, 2002-08-05 at 14:47, [email protected] wrote:
> Still OSS modules for i810 does not work with 2.5 kernels, actually 2.4
> is fine. No time to switch to alsa (and not interested for now too).

OSS for 2.5 is someone elses problem. I have no plan to do any work on
the old OSS drivers for the 2.5 tree or even to submit 2.4 updates into
2.5 for it.

2002-08-05 18:35:31

by Thomas Munck Steenholdt

On Mon, 2002-08-05 at 17:28, Alan Cox wrote:
> On Mon, 2002-08-05 at 14:47, [email protected] wrote:
> > Still OSS modules for i810 does not work with 2.5 kernels, actually 2.4
> > is fine. No time to switch to alsa (and not interested for now too).
>
> OSS for 2.5 is someone elses problem. I have no plan to do any work on
> the old OSS drivers for the 2.5 tree or even to submit 2.4 updates into
> 2.5 for it.

So anyway - How should I go about determining the exact problem on my
box... I've had it all along, and I know for a fact that the hardware is
OK... Modules are loaded correctly, but it just does not work!

Thomas

2002-08-05 20:15:22

by Juergen Sawinski

On my Intel D845GBV board (obviously ICH4) none of 2.4 nor alsa works.
It's a production box, so I hestitate to try 2.5.

George

P.S.: Alan, any hints how I can examine/fix this?

On Mon, 2002-08-05 at 14:54, Alan Cox wrote:
> On Mon, 2002-08-05 at 12:27, Thomas Munck Steenholdt wrote:
> > I've noticed some writing on lkml on how i810(AC97) sound was broken.
> > Aparantly a couple of fixes have been posted, but I couldn't see
> > where(if at all) those patches have gone... 2.4.19 still does not work
> > and 2.4.19-ac3 won't even load the i810 module.
> >
> > Does anybody know if the known i810 sound issue has, in fact, been fixed, and if so - in what kernel/patch?
>
> Its working nicely for me in 2.4.19 and 2.4.19-ac1. The 2.4.19-ac3 tree
> has a bug in pci_enable_device which will stop it working if built with
> some compilers (by chance it works ok the way I tested it). Thats fixed
> in ac4.
>
> The changes in the recent i810 audio are
> - Being more pessimistic in our interpretation of codec power up
> - Turning on EAPD in case the BIOS didn't do so at boot up
>
> Longer term full EAPD control as we do with the cs46xx is on my list,
> paticularly as i8xx laptops are becoming common . (EAPD is the amplifier
> power controller)
>
> -
Juergen Sawinski
Max-Planck-Institute for Medical Research
Dept. of Biomedical Optics
Jahnstr. 29
D-69120 Heidelberg
Germany

Phone: +49-6221-486-309
Fax: +49-6221-486-325

priv.
Phone: +49-6221-418 848
Mobile: +49-171-532 5302

2002-08-05 20:23:07

by Alan

On Mon, 2002-08-05 at 21:21, Juergen Sawinski wrote:
> On my Intel D845GBV board (obviously ICH4) none of 2.4 nor alsa works.
> It's a production box, so I hestitate to try 2.5.

2.5 is older audio code than 2.4.19-ac

If your audio isnt working then a good starting point is to grab the
2.4.19-ac1 i810_audio (you can drop those files into 2.4.19 vanilla
fine)

1. Does the mixer work, can you play a CD, control the volume etc ?

If so that means we have an active codec and the AC97 bus is running

2. Do you get regular interrupts doing "yes oink >/dev/audio"

This is a good clue to whether the bus master engine is running. If it
is we should be getting regular interrupts (and if the audio works a
nasty squeak)

3. Does the audio speed test report about 48Khz (expected except on some
Dell laptops)

2002-08-06 07:17:32

by Alexander Hoogerhuis

Different thing about 810, brand spanking new Compaq
Game^H^H^H^Hlaptop and it gives good sound, but shows this on boot:

i810: Intel ICH3 found at IO 0x4400 and 0x4000, IRQ 5
i810_audio: Audio Controller supports 6 channels.
ac97_codec: AC97 Audio codec, id: 0x4144:0x5363 (Unknown)
i810_audio: AC'97 codec 0 Unable to map surround DAC's (or DAC's \
not present), total channels = 2

lspci -vvv shows this:

00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corp. 82801CA/CAM AC'97 Audio (rev 02)
Subsystem: Compaq Computer Corporation: Unknown device 004a
Control: I/O+ Mem- BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B-
Latency: 0
Interrupt: pin B routed to IRQ 5
Region 0: I/O ports at 4000 [size=256]
Region 1: I/O ports at 4400 [size=64]

Under Windows XP it likes to call itself a SoundMAX device.

Hope its of help?

ttfn,

Alan Cox <[email protected]> writes:

> On Mon, 2002-08-05 at 14:47, [email protected] wrote:
> > Still OSS modules for i810 does not work with 2.5 kernels, actually 2.4
> > is fine. No time to switch to alsa (and not interested for now too).
>
> OSS for 2.5 is someone elses problem. I have no plan to do any work on
> the old OSS drivers for the 2.5 tree or even to submit 2.4 updates into
> 2.5 for it.
>
> -

Alexander Hoogerhuis | [email protected]
CCNP - CCDP - MCNE - CCSE | +47 908 21 485
"You have zero privacy anyway. Get over it." --Scott McNealy

2002-08-06 00:24:19

by Jeff Chua

On 5 Aug 2002, Thomas Munck Steenholdt wrote:

> So anyway - How should I go about determining the exact problem on my
> box... I've had it all along, and I know for a fact that the hardware is
> OK... Modules are loaded correctly, but it just does not work!

Try me ...
download aumix from http://jpj.net/~trevor/aumix/aumix-2.7.tar.gz
and drag "Vol" and "Pcm" to appropriate level before you play any sound.

Jeff

2002-08-06 07:21:24

by Andris Pavenis

i810_audio works for me with 2.4.19-ac3 without problems (kernel was built
with gcc-3.1). Also no problems with loading i810 modules. I still had trouble
with modules before I upgraded modutils from 2.4.16 to 2.4.19

Only had to build lm_sensors with old gcc-2.95.3 otherwise their modules
load about 2 minutes (but still works after that)

Andris

bash-2.05a# uname -a
Linux hal 2.4.19-ac3 #2 Mon Aug 5 11:17:44 EEST 2002 i686 unknown
bash-2.05a# dmesg | sed 1q
Linux version 2.4.19-ac3 (root@hal) (gcc version 3.1) #2 Mon Aug 5 11:17:44 EEST 2002
bash-2.05a# lsmod
Module Size Used by Not tainted
w83781d 19224 0 (unused)
i2c-i801 4340 0 (unused)
i2c-i810 2348 0 (unused)
i810_audio 22600 1
ac97_codec 10920 0 [i810_audio]
nls_iso8859-1 2844 2 (autoclean)
nls_cp437 4348 2 (autoclean)
bash-2.05a# lspci -v
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corp. 82810 GMCH [Graphics Memory Controller Hub] (rev 03)
Subsystem: Asustek Computer, Inc.: Unknown device 801f
Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0

00:01.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corp. 82810 CGC [Chipset Graphics Controller] (rev 03) (prog-if 00 [VGA])
Subsystem: Asustek Computer, Inc.: Unknown device 801f
Flags: bus master, 66Mhz, medium devsel, latency 0, IRQ 11
Memory at e4000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=64M]
Memory at e3800000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=512K]
Capabilities: [dc] Power Management version 1

00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corp. 82801AA PCI Bridge (rev 02) (prog-if 00 [Normal decode])
Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0
Bus: primary=00, secondary=01, subordinate=01, sec-latency=32
I/O behind bridge: 0000d000-0000dfff
Memory behind bridge: e3000000-e37fffff

00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corp. 82801AA ISA Bridge (LPC) (rev 02)
Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 0

00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corp. 82801AA IDE (rev 02) (prog-if 80 [Master])
Subsystem: Intel Corp. 82801AA IDE
Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 0
[virtual] I/O ports at 01f0
[virtual] I/O ports at 03f4
[virtual] I/O ports at 0170
[virtual] I/O ports at 0374
I/O ports at b800 [size=16]

00:1f.2 USB Controller: Intel Corp. 82801AA USB (rev 02) (prog-if 00 [UHCI])
Subsystem: Intel Corp. 82801AA USB
I/O ports at b400 [size=32]

00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corp. 82801AA SMBus (rev 02)
Subsystem: Intel Corp. 82801AA SMBus
Flags: medium devsel, IRQ 5
I/O ports at e800 [size=16]

00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corp. 82801AA AC'97 Audio (rev 02)
Subsystem: Analog Devices: Unknown device 1043
I/O ports at e000 [size=256]
I/O ports at e100 [size=64]

01:0a.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8139/8139C (rev 10)
Subsystem: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RT8139
I/O ports at d800 [size=256]
Memory at e3000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=256]

by Alexander Hoogerhuis

Alan Cox <[email protected]> writes:

> On Mon, 2002-08-05 at 22:38, Alexander Hoogerhuis wrote:
> >
> > Different thing about 810, brand spanking new Compaq
> > Game^H^H^H^Hlaptop and it gives good sound, but shows this on boot:
> >
> > i810: Intel ICH3 found at IO 0x4400 and 0x4000, IRQ 5
> > i810_audio: Audio Controller supports 6 channels.
> > ac97_codec: AC97 Audio codec, id: 0x4144:0x5363 (Unknown)
> > i810_audio: AC'97 codec 0 Unable to map surround DAC's (or DAC's \
> > not present), total channels = 2
>
> Thats fine. Your chipset supports 6 channel surround sound. Your vendor
> didn't feel the need to fit codecs for anything more than stereo

Anyone feeling they need the codes IDs to add to some database so they
dont remain "unknown"?

mvh,
Alexander Hoogerhuis | [email protected]
CCNP - CCDP - MCNE - CCSE | +47 908 21 485
"You have zero privacy anyway. Get over it." --Scott McNealy

2002-08-06 13:25:04

by Alan

On Mon, 2002-08-05 at 22:38, Alexander Hoogerhuis wrote:

> Different thing about 810, brand spanking new Compaq
> Game^H^H^H^Hlaptop and it gives good sound, but shows this on boot:
>
> i810: Intel ICH3 found at IO 0x4400 and 0x4000, IRQ 5
> i810_audio: Audio Controller supports 6 channels.
> ac97_codec: AC97 Audio codec, id: 0x4144:0x5363 (Unknown)
> i810_audio: AC'97 codec 0 Unable to map surround DAC's (or DAC's \
> not present), total channels = 2

Thats fine. Your chipset supports 6 channel surround sound. Your vendor
didn't feel the need to fit codecs for anything more than stereo

2002-08-07 15:02:20

by Doug Ledford

On Mon, Aug 05, 2002 at 08:38:52PM +0200, Thomas Munck Steenholdt wrote:
> On Mon, 2002-08-05 at 17:28, Alan Cox wrote:
> > On Mon, 2002-08-05 at 14:47, [email protected] wrote:
> > > Still OSS modules for i810 does not work with 2.5 kernels, actually 2.4
> > > is fine. No time to switch to alsa (and not interested for now too).
> >
> > OSS for 2.5 is someone elses problem. I have no plan to do any work on
> > the old OSS drivers for the 2.5 tree or even to submit 2.4 updates into
> > 2.5 for it.
> >

> So anyway - How should I go about determining the exact problem on my
> box... I've had it all along, and I know for a fact that the hardware is
> OK... Modules are loaded correctly, but it just does not work!

I'll tell you what you can do. Grab some ICH docs so you have a list of
the valid regs on the i810 sound chip. Then, go into i810_audio.c and
write me up a little hack that, at the end of the chip init sequence,
whill dump the state of all the regs on the chip. Make it smart enough to
know about different regs on different chips (aka, Intel ICH0 and ICH1
will probably have a slightly different reg setup than the ICH2 and
later). Then, load that driver on your machine and get me that register
dump. Then, I'll take the patch and apply it here on the i810 machines I
have that do work and get their register dump. We'll see then where the
differences are. On the i845 based machine I have at work, where the
sound doesn't work just like you describe, I've isolated the problem down
to the fact that when we start the DMA engine it *immediately* signals
that it has already finished the DMA process and has already stopped again
but it never actually does the DMA. So, I suspect there is some config
bit somewhere set wrong and the DMA is not taking place as a result (hell,
for all I know, the AC97 link for sound output may be off or something
like that). Getting a register dump from several busted machines as well
as from some working machines should enable me to solve the problem
relatively easily. I just haven't had the time to write the patch myself
and do any more work on the thing :-(

--
Doug Ledford <[email protected]> 919-754-3700 x44233
Red Hat, Inc.

2002-08-07 18:43:26

by Juergen Sawinski

On Wed, 2002-08-07 at 17:05, Doug Ledford wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 05, 2002 at 08:38:52PM +0200, Thomas Munck Steenholdt wrote:
> > >
> > > OSS for 2.5 is someone elses problem. I have no plan to do any work on
> > > the old OSS drivers for the 2.5 tree or even to submit 2.4 updates into
> > > 2.5 for it.
> > >

> > So anyway - How should I go about determining the exact problem on my
> > box... I've had it all along, and I know for a fact that the hardware is
> > OK... Modules are loaded correctly, but it just does not work!
>
> I'll tell you what you can do. Grab some ICH docs so you have a list of
> the valid regs on the i810 sound chip. Then, go into i810_audio.c and
> write me up a little hack that, at the end of the chip init sequence,
> whill dump the state of all the regs on the chip. Make it smart enough to
> know about different regs on different chips (aka, Intel ICH0 and ICH1
> will probably have a slightly different reg setup than the ICH2 and
> later). Then, load that driver on your machine and get me that register
> dump. Then, I'll take the patch and apply it here on the i810 machines I
> have that do work and get their register dump. We'll see then where the
> differences are. On the i845 based machine I have at work, where the
> sound doesn't work just like you describe, I've isolated the problem down
> to the fact that when we start the DMA engine it *immediately* signals
> that it has already finished the DMA process and has already stopped again
> but it never actually does the DMA. So, I suspect there is some config
> bit somewhere set wrong and the DMA is not taking place as a result (hell,
> for all I know, the AC97 link for sound output may be off or something
> like that). Getting a register dump from several busted machines as well
> as from some working machines should enable me to solve the problem
> relatively easily. I just haven't had the time to write the patch myself
> and do any more work on the thing :-(

My i845 box seems to only have a tertiary codec (waiting for
verification from Intel) which is only accesible via DMA. I already
started to make this work... hope, I can show some code end of the week.

But there's sth. about i810_ac97_get. The ICH4 manual says, reads _must
not_ cross DWord boundaries. Could there be a problem?

> --
> Doug Ledford <[email protected]> 919-754-3700 x44233
> Red Hat, Inc.
> 1801 Varsity Dr.
> Raleigh, NC 27606
>
> -
Juergen Sawinski
Max-Planck-Institute for Medical Research
Dept. of Biomedical Optics
Jahnstr. 29
D-69120 Heidelberg
Germany

Phone: +49-6221-486-309
Fax: +49-6221-486-325

priv.
Phone: +49-6221-418 848
Mobile: +49-171-532 5302

2002-08-08 08:34:03

by Thomas Munck Steenholdt

> On Mon, Aug 05, 2002 at 08:38:52PM +0200, Thomas Munck Steenholdt wrote:
> > >
> > > OSS for 2.5 is someone elses problem. I have no plan to do any work on
> > > the old OSS drivers for the 2.5 tree or even to submit 2.4 updates into
> > > 2.5 for it.
> > >

> > So anyway - How should I go about determining the exact problem on my
> > box... I've had it all along, and I know for a fact that the hardware is
> > OK... Modules are loaded correctly, but it just does not work!
>
> I'll tell you what you can do. Grab some ICH docs so you have a list of
> the valid regs on the i810 sound chip. Then, go into i810_audio.c and
> write me up a little hack that, at the end of the chip init sequence,
> whill dump the state of all the regs on the chip. Make it smart enough to
> know about different regs on different chips (aka, Intel ICH0 and ICH1
> will probably have a slightly different reg setup than the ICH2 and
> later). Then, load that driver on your machine and get me that register
> dump. Then, I'll take the patch and apply it here on the i810 machines I
> have that do work and get their register dump. We'll see then where the
> differences are. On the i845 based machine I have at work, where the
> sound doesn't work just like you describe, I've isolated the problem down
> to the fact that when we start the DMA engine it *immediately* signals
> that it has already finished the DMA process and has already stopped again
> but it never actually does the DMA. So, I suspect there is some config
> bit somewhere set wrong and the DMA is not taking place as a result (hell,
> for all I know, the AC97 link for sound output may be off or something
> like that). Getting a register dump from several busted machines as well
> as from some working machines should enable me to solve the problem
> relatively easily. I just haven't had the time to write the patch myself
> and do any more work on the thing :-(

Please excuse me for not immediately responding with a working hack for this.
I'm sorry to say that I have not yet had any experience in kernel programming
and even though I jumped on the "job" as soon as I saw you mail, I quickly
realized that I probably need some time of practicing, figuring out how stuff
is done, and get into the actual close-to-hardware programming that is
required for stuff like this...

Instead of promising to have a hack ready at any time... I'll follow this
case closely and see what I can learn from it. I need to get
into how stuff is done in this kind of area.
Hopefully some day you'll see meactually post a patch of some
kind... ;-)

Back to the case... I realized that I might not have explained myself
correctly regarding my hardware...
My machine is i845 based, using the i810 driver for audio...
it is not i810 based!

Thomas

-- Send gratis SMS og brug gratis e-mail p? Everyday.com --

2002-08-08 20:43:45

by Doug Ledford

On Wed, Aug 07, 2002 at 08:49:08PM +0200, Juergen Sawinski wrote:
> My i845 box seems to only have a tertiary codec (waiting for
> verification from Intel) which is only accesible via DMA. I already
> started to make this work... hope, I can show some code end of the week.
>
> But there's sth. about i810_ac97_get. The ICH4 manual says, reads _must
> not_ cross DWord boundaries. Could there be a problem?

Actually, I just solved an i845 issue here. I have a patch that should
enable yours to work I think. It's against the i810_audio.c driver in
Alan's current tree. I've attached that patch. If the patch doesn't work
for you, the complete source code can be found at
http://people.redhat.com/dledford/i810_audio.c.gz (shift-click on the link
in a browser to get it to download the file cleanly). Drop that source in
place and use it to test.

--
Doug Ledford <[email protected]> 919-754-3700 x44233
Red Hat, Inc.
1801 Varsity Dr.
Raleigh, NC 27606

Attachments: