2002-08-26 08:31:02

by Jeff Chua

Subject: [BUG] initrd >24MB corruption

I posted a similar message last week. No response, but that was on
Gcc3.2, but when I tried out on gcc2.95.3, it failed too.

Symptons:
create 28MB ramdisk, fill up to 18MB, system boots ok.

create 28MB ramdisk, fill up to 24MB, system can't boot, fail at

RAMDISK: Compressed image found at block 0 ... then stuck!

What's the next step to debug this?

Thanks,
Jeff
[ [email protected] ]

2002-08-26 09:48:44

by Alan

Subject: Re: [BUG] initrd >24MB corruption

On Mon, 2002-08-26 at 09:34, Jeff Chua wrote:

> I posted a similar message last week. No response, but that was on
> Gcc3.2, but when I tried out on gcc2.95.3, it failed too.
>
> Symptons:
> create 28MB ramdisk, fill up to 18MB, system boots ok.
>
> create 28MB ramdisk, fill up to 24MB, system can't boot, fail at
>
> RAMDISK: Compressed image found at block 0 ... then stuck!
>

> What's the next step to debug this?

Force a 1K block size when you make the fs

2002-08-27 00:01:35

by Jeff Chua

On 26 Aug 2002, Alan Cox wrote:

> > RAMDISK: Compressed image found at block 0 ... then stuck!
> Force a 1K block size when you make the fs

That was the default for mke2fs.

Tried compress instead of gzip. Same problem. I guess the compressed file
is too big for the kernel. The 8MB compressed (from 24MB) didn't work. 6MB
compressed from 18MB worked. The 24MB filesystem has just one extra junk
file in /tmp to fill up the filesystem to 90% and this caused the system
to hang.

I'm thinking it could be the ungzip function in the kernel that's causing
the problem.

Jeff.

2002-08-27 08:19:17

by Russell King

On Tue, Aug 27, 2002 at 08:05:14AM +0800, Jeff Chua wrote:
> On 26 Aug 2002, Alan Cox wrote:
> > > RAMDISK: Compressed image found at block 0 ... then stuck!
> > Force a 1K block size when you make the fs
>
> That was the default for mke2fs.
>
> Tried compress instead of gzip. Same problem. I guess the compressed file
> is too big for the kernel. The 8MB compressed (from 24MB) didn't work. 6MB
> compressed from 18MB worked. The 24MB filesystem has just one extra junk
> file in /tmp to fill up the filesystem to 90% and this caused the system
> to hang.
>
> I'm thinking it could be the ungzip function in the kernel that's causing
> the problem.

Out of curiosity, how much RAM do you have available?

--
Russell King ([email protected]) The developer of ARM Linux