2002-08-29 08:15:57

by Steffen Persvold

Subject: Laptops with SpeedStep technology.

Hi all,

Recently I got myself a Dell Inspiron 8200 with a Intel P4 Mobile wich has
SpeedStep technology. With power plugged in, this processor runs at 1.6
GHz and with battery only, 1.2 GHz. However I've found that the
/proc/cpuinfo doesn't show this and I was wondering if there were some
patches lying around before I began to look at this on my own.

Steffen Persvold | Scali AS
mailto:[email protected] | http://www.scali.com
Tel: (+47) 2262 8950 | Olaf Helsets vei 6
Fax: (+47) 2262 8951 | N0621 Oslo, NORWAY

2002-08-29 08:29:23

by Morten Helgesen

Subject: Re: Laptops with SpeedStep technology.

Hey Steffen,

On Thu, Aug 29, 2002 at 10:13:06AM +0200, Steffen Persvold wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Recently I got myself a Dell Inspiron 8200 with a Intel P4 Mobile wich has
> SpeedStep technology. With power plugged in, this processor runs at 1.6
> GHz and with battery only, 1.2 GHz. However I've found that the
> /proc/cpuinfo doesn't show this and I was wondering if there were some
> patches lying around before I began to look at this on my own.

I played with this some time ago - I`ll see if I can dig out the patch
later today.

== Morten

--

"Livet er ikke for nybegynnere" - sitat fra en klok person.

mvh
Morten Helgesen
UNIX System Administrator & C Developer
Nextframe AS
[email protected] / 93445641
http://www.nextframe.net

2002-08-29 10:22:02

by Dominik Brodowski

Hi,

> Recently I got myself a Dell Inspiron 8200 with a Intel P4 Mobile wich has
> SpeedStep technology. With power plugged in, this processor runs at 1.6
> GHz and with battery only, 1.2 GHz. However I've found that the
> /proc/cpuinfo doesn't show this and I was wondering if there were some
> patches lying around before I began to look at this on my own.

Depending on the chipset, cpufreq for 2.5. ( http://www.brodo.de/cpufreq/ )
should show the correct value in /proc/cpuinfo _and_ offer you the chance to
control the processor speed. For 2.4., the functionality is offered, but
/proc/cpuinfo stays the same (yet).

Dominik

2002-08-29 13:05:59

by Alan

On Thu, 2002-08-29 at 09:13, Steffen Persvold wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Recently I got myself a Dell Inspiron 8200 with a Intel P4 Mobile wich has
> SpeedStep technology. With power plugged in, this processor runs at 1.6
> GHz and with battery only, 1.2 GHz. However I've found that the
> /proc/cpuinfo doesn't show this and I was wondering if there were some
> patches lying around before I began to look at this on my own.

cpufre handles this including switching processor speeds, fixing up
udelay and ensuring you dont get stuck at random boot speed

2002-08-29 14:06:37

by Steffen Persvold

On Thu, 29 Aug 2002, Dominik Brodowski wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > Recently I got myself a Dell Inspiron 8200 with a Intel P4 Mobile wich has
> > SpeedStep technology. With power plugged in, this processor runs at 1.6
> > GHz and with battery only, 1.2 GHz. However I've found that the
> > /proc/cpuinfo doesn't show this and I was wondering if there were some
> > patches lying around before I began to look at this on my own.
>
> Depending on the chipset, cpufreq for 2.5. ( http://www.brodo.de/cpufreq/ )
> should show the correct value in /proc/cpuinfo _and_ offer you the chance to
> control the processor speed. For 2.4., the functionality is offered, but
> /proc/cpuinfo stays the same (yet).

Thanks Dominik, this was exactly what I was looking for. I will try it
out.