2002-10-10 13:51:54

by Mr. James W. Laferriere

Subject: OT: DVD-* owners be warned . Please see inside .

Hello All ,

Here we go . Two differant hardware types to prevent users from
making private backups of items that they have purchased . I hope
that somewhere in the community there is a methodology to
circumvent this stupidity .

Below is a snippet from the URL below this :

Why are there two formats? The key reason for the introduction of
DVD-R for General media is that it contains content protection
measures that make it physically impossible to make a bit-for-bit
copies of CSS encrypted entertainment titles.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/Pioneer/Files/DVDRMedia-GeneralvsAuthoring.pdf

Hth , JimL
| James W. Laferriere | System Techniques | Give me VMS |
| Network Engineer | P.O. Box 854 | Give me Linux |
| [email protected] | Coudersport PA 16915 | only on AXP |

by Hell.Surfers

Subject: RE:OT: DVD-* owners be warned . Please see inside .

oh no! now people will have to use decss and vob, what a hardship. [8)]

Cheers, Dean.