2002-10-21 20:31:56

by Jeff Chua

Subject: 2.5.44 console keyboard dead

I can't type anything on the console keyboard on 2.5.44

rlogin works ok.

Thanks,
Jeff
[ [email protected] ]

2002-10-21 20:58:50

by dth

Subject: Re: 2.5.44 console keyboard dead

In article <[email protected]>,
Jeff Chua <[email protected]> wrote:
>I can't type anything on the console keyboard on 2.5.44
>rlogin works ok.

Please check the settings of serial support.
Only then you get the choice of different keyboard support
at the next question (enable at keyboard)

Got fooled by it too ;)

Danny

2002-10-21 21:23:50

by David Härdeman

> I can't type anything on the console keyboard on 2.5.44
> rlogin works ok.
> Thanks,
> Jeff

I had this problem as well until I realized that the following options had to be enabled in the config (provided that you have a PS/2 or AT keyboard which I guess you do).

Under input device support
==========================
Select "Serial i/o support"
Select "i8042 PC Keyboard controller"
Select "Keyboards"
Select "AT Keyboard support"

This is indicated in the help text but the current layout is very unintuitive and should be changed.

Explaination:
The first time that I compiled, I simply choose "Keyboards", no extra options appeared since "Serial i/o support" wasn't selected and thus it seemed as if everything was just fine...until I booted and the keyboard didn't work. Then I started reading help messages :-)

Regards,
David

2002-10-21 21:28:28

by Jeff Chua

On Mon, 21 Oct 2002, Danny ter Haar wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>,
> Jeff Chua <[email protected]> wrote:
> >I can't type anything on the console keyboard on 2.5.44
> >rlogin works ok.
>
> Please check the settings of serial support.
> Only then you get the choice of different keyboard support
> at the next question (enable at keyboard)
>
> Got fooled by it too ;)

Guess I got fooled. Worse than that, I was using an older .config file
from 2.4 and somehow I simple don't get the menu item for AT keyboard.
I was able to configure AT keykoard only after removing .config and
rerun menuconfig again.

Thanks for the pointer,

Jeff.