2003-01-23 11:07:08

by Yao Minfeng

Subject: new kernel fail

Dear friends,

I am rather new to Linux, but really want to have a try. I am running RedHat
7.2 with the kernel of
2.4.7-10. I just compiled the 2.4.12 and 2.4.16 Kernel, however, when I
login to the system, I found that

1)

Login: root
Passwd:

bash: id: Command not found
bash: id: Command not found
bash: id: Command not found

[: Too many arguments

2) all the files under /home, /usr are missing, this happens both for 2.4.12
and 2.4.16, but when I login back to 2.4.7-10, the files are there again, I
can't figure it out.

Any help is welcome.

Thanks.

2003-01-23 11:17:08

by Ketil Froyn

Subject: Re: new kernel fail

On Thu, 23 Jan 2003, Yao Minfeng wrote:

> 2) all the files under /home, /usr are missing, this happens both for 2.4.12
> and 2.4.16, but when I login back to 2.4.7-10, the files are there again, I
> can't figure it out.

Perhaps you forgot to include the filesystem these are using in your
kernel...?

Ketil

2003-01-23 11:29:51

by Yao Minfeng

Thanks a lot, Ketil,

I am using ext3 for 2.4.7-10, but during the kernel configuration, I can't
find the option to include ext3, any suggestions?

Yao

> On Thu, 23 Jan 2003, Yao Minfeng wrote:
>
> > 2) all the files under /home, /usr are missing, this happens both for
2.4.12
> > and 2.4.16, but when I login back to 2.4.7-10, the files are there
again, I
> > can't figure it out.
>
> Perhaps you forgot to include the filesystem these are using in your
> kernel...?
>
> Ketil

2003-01-23 11:42:16

by John Bradford

> I am using ext3 for 2.4.7-10, but during the kernel configuration, I can't
> find the option to include ext3, any suggestions?

EXT-3 was not introduced until 2.4.15.

By the way, why not just try the latest 2.4 tree, 2.4.20? If you have
any problems with 2.4.12, or 2.4.16, the first thing that will
probably be suggested will be to try 2.4.20.

John.

2003-01-23 12:44:14

by Richard B. Johnson

On Thu, 23 Jan 2003, Yao Minfeng wrote:

> Dear friends,
>
> I am rather new to Linux, but really want to have a try. I am running RedHat
> 7.2 with the kernel of
> 2.4.7-10. I just compiled the 2.4.12 and 2.4.16 Kernel, however, when I
> login to the system, I found that
>
> 1)
>
> Login: root
> Passwd:
>
> bash: id: Command not found
> bash: id: Command not found
> bash: id: Command not found
>
> [: Too many arguments

> 2) all the files under /home, /usr are missing, this happens both for 2.4.12
> and 2.4.16, but when I login back to 2.4.7-10, the files are there again, I
> can't figure it out.
>
> Any help is welcome.
>
> Thanks.

Looks like the order of your file partitions (or labels) got
changed between kernel versions so that your 'slices' are not
being mounted.

do `df` to see what got mounted. Try to mount the other paritions,
first under /mnt, then later at there correct place after to
inspect them under /mnt to see which is which.

After you have it all sorted out, change the entries in
/etc/fstab to be correct for the next boot.

Cheers,
Dick Johnson