2003-01-26 14:56:14

by Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk

Subject: ATA TCQ problems in 2.5.59

hi

I'm trying to turn on TCQ on 2.5.59, but it doesn't seem be able to set it to
anything but 0 and 1. This is with TCQ default 'off':

# cat /proc/ide/hda/settings | grep using_tcq
using_tcq 0 0 32 rw
# echo using_tcq:32 > /proc/ide/hda/settings
# cat /proc/ide/hda/settings | grep using_tcq
using_tcq 1 0 32 rw
#

rebuilding kernel set to TCQ default 'on', I get this

# cat /proc/ide/hda/settings |grep tcq
using_tcq 1 0 32 rw
# echo using_tcq:32 > /proc/ide/hda/settings
# cat /proc/ide/hda/settings |grep tcq
using_tcq 1 0 32 rw
#

...so TCQ can't be set > 1. Attached is ispci, dmesg and some /proc/ide stuff
I found interesting (or something). Disk drive is a 60gig IBM 120GXP.

Thanks

--
Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk, Datavaktmester
ProntoTV AS - http://www.pronto.tv/

Computers are like air conditioners.

dmesg (20.76 kB)
dotconfig (19.67 kB)
proc.ide.hda.identify (1.30 kB)
lspci-vvv (8.04 kB)
proc.ide.hda.model (64.00 B)
proc.ide.via (1.41 kB)
proc.ide.hda.settings (1.88 kB)

by Mark Hahn

Subject: Re: ATA TCQ problems in 2.5.59

> I'm trying to turn on TCQ on 2.5.59, but it doesn't seem be able to set it to
> anything but 0 and 1. This is with TCQ default 'off':
>
> # cat /proc/ide/hda/settings | grep using_tcq
> using_tcq 0 0 32 rw
> # echo using_tcq:32 > /proc/ide/hda/settings
> # cat /proc/ide/hda/settings | grep using_tcq
> using_tcq 1 0 32 rw

but it's a flag, not a count. use CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDE_TCQ_DEPTH
if you want something other than the default depth of 1.

2003-01-26 16:12:26

by Jens Axboe

On Sun, Jan 26 2003, Mark Hahn wrote:
> > I'm trying to turn on TCQ on 2.5.59, but it doesn't seem be able to set it to
> > anything but 0 and 1. This is with TCQ default 'off':
> >
> > # cat /proc/ide/hda/settings | grep using_tcq
> > using_tcq 0 0 32 rw
> > # echo using_tcq:32 > /proc/ide/hda/settings
> > # cat /proc/ide/hda/settings | grep using_tcq
> > using_tcq 1 0 32 rw
>
> but it's a flag, not a count. use CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDE_TCQ_DEPTH
> if you want something other than the default depth of 1.

It's a flag, correct. The default depth is 32 though, not 1. And with
newer hdparms you can use -Q to set/query the tag depth of the drive. Be
careful with that though, it's not too well tested. IDE TCQ in 2.5 needs
a bit of work, I hope to do so soonish...

--
Jens Axboe

2003-01-27 13:41:45

by Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk

> > but it's a flag, not a count. use CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDE_TCQ_DEPTH
> > if you want something other than the default depth of 1.
>
> It's a flag, correct. The default depth is 32 though, not 1. And with
> newer hdparms you can use -Q to set/query the tag depth of the drive. Be
> careful with that though, it's not too well tested. IDE TCQ in 2.5 needs
> a bit of work, I hope to do so soonish...

but shouldn't the 'echo using_tcq:32' be equivilent of hdparm -Q?

roy

--

On Mon, Jan 27 2003, Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk wrote:
> > > but it's a flag, not a count. use CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDE_TCQ_DEPTH
> > > if you want something other than the default depth of 1.
> >
> > It's a flag, correct. The default depth is 32 though, not 1. And with
> > newer hdparms you can use -Q to set/query the tag depth of the drive. Be
> > careful with that though, it's not too well tested. IDE TCQ in 2.5 needs
> > a bit of work, I hope to do so soonish...
>
> but shouldn't the 'echo using_tcq:32' be equivilent of hdparm -Q?

Yes, doesn't that work?

--
Jens Axboe