Subject: Permission to use atomic code under LGPL

Hi,
I am with the GStreamer project (http://www.gstreamer.net). We did a small
license audit the other day and discovered we included some code from
the kernel. GStreamer uses the LGPL so this is a problem for us.

The code in question is the atomic code and is included in our
sourcefile below. Do the person(s) in question responsible for this code
mind if we re-license it under the LGPL?

We will of course add comments in the code stating its origin with
copyrights etc.

I am not subscribed to the list so if anyone has objections to this
relicensing of this particular piece of code, please CC me any

Sincerely,
Christian

--
Christian Fredrik Kalager Schaller <[email protected]>

Attachments:
gstatomic_impl.h (12.46 kB)

Subject: Re: Permission to use atomic code under LGPL

Hi,
I got no objections to my request to use these few lines under the LGPL
so I will now update our sourcefile to make sure linus gets copyright
and origin is informed of. Thanks a lot guys!

Christian

--
Christian Fredrik Kalager Schaller <[email protected]>

2003-01-31 11:52:04

by Christoph Hellwig

On Fri, Jan 31, 2003 at 12:56:24PM +0100, Christian Fredrik Kalager Schaller wrote:
> Hi,
> I got no objections to my request to use these few lines under the LGPL
> so I will now update our sourcefile to make sure linus gets copyright
> and origin is informed of. Thanks a lot guys!

Umm, you didn't even ask Linus himself nor did you actually research who
wrote that. And waiting three days while Linus is known to be away until
you claim he implicitly agreed on you taking his code..

Sorry, didn't now Linus was away. When will he be back?

Christian

On Fri, 2003-01-31 at 13:01, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 31, 2003 at 12:56:24PM +0100, Christian Fredrik Kalager Schaller wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I got no objections to my request to use these few lines under the LGPL
> > so I will now update our sourcefile to make sure linus gets copyright
> > and origin is informed of. Thanks a lot guys!
>
> Umm, you didn't even ask Linus himself nor did you actually research who
> wrote that. And waiting three days while Linus is known to be away until
> you claim he implicitly agreed on you taking his code..
--
Christian Fredrik Kalager Schaller <[email protected]>

2003-01-31 12:25:25

by Russell King

On Fri, Jan 31, 2003 at 12:56:24PM +0100, Christian Fredrik Kalager Schaller wrote:
> I got no objections to my request to use these few lines under the LGPL
> so I will now update our sourcefile to make sure linus gets copyright
> and origin is informed of. Thanks a lot guys!

In any case, "no objections" and certainly "no response" is not the same
as "being granted permission". You can not take silence as a positive
outcome to these questions, unless you're on a deathwish to get sued.

You need *explicit* permission of the author in order to use any code
in a way not covered by the license under which that code is distributed.

--
Russell King ([email protected]) The developer of ARM Linux

by Mike A. Harris

On 31 Jan 2003, Christian Fredrik Kalager Schaller wrote:

>Sorry, didn't now Linus was away. When will he be back?
>
>Christian
>
>On Fri, 2003-01-31 at 13:01, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
>> On Fri, Jan 31, 2003 at 12:56:24PM +0100, Christian Fredrik Kalager Schaller wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> > I got no objections to my request to use these few lines under the LGPL
>> > so I will now update our sourcefile to make sure linus gets copyright
>> > and origin is informed of. Thanks a lot guys!
>>
>> Umm, you didn't even ask Linus himself nor did you actually research who
>> wrote that. And waiting three days while Linus is known to be away until
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>> you claim he implicitly agreed on you taking his code..

Presumeably 3 days.

--
Mike A. Harris ftp://people.redhat.com/mharris

by Pavel Machek

Hi!

> I am with the GStreamer project (http://www.gstreamer.net). We did a small
> license audit the other day and discovered we included some code from
> the kernel. GStreamer uses the LGPL so this is a problem for us.
>
> The code in question is the atomic code and is included in our
> sourcefile below. Do the person(s) in
atomic stuff is widely considered "too trivial
for copyrights to apply", so LGPL should be OK.

--
Pavel
Written on sharp zaurus, because my Velo1 broke. If you have Velo you don't need...