2003-02-17 17:15:08

by jlnance

Subject: What language has Alan's portaloo changed to?

I notice that the entries on http://www.linux.org.uk/diary/ have changed
to a different language. Is it Welsh? Hm. I wonder if bablefish can
help me translate it.

Thanks,

Jim

2003-02-17 17:38:08

by Eli Carter

Subject: Re: What language has Alan's portaloo changed to?

[email protected] wrote:
> I notice that the entries on http://www.linux.org.uk/diary/ have changed
> to a different language. Is it Welsh? Hm. I wonder if bablefish can
> help me translate it.

Apparently it is Welsh.... check that 'The other side of the story'
link at the top, and the feb 16th entry on that page.

I have no idea how to grok Welsh.

HTH,

Eli
--------------------. "If it ain't broke now,
Eli Carter \ it will be soon." -- crypto-gram
eli.carter(a)inet.com `-------------------------------------------------

2003-02-18 01:05:46

by Steve Lee

I hadn't noticed this yet, but I'm disappointed as well. I usually read
his diary on a weekly basis.

Alan???

Steve

to a different language. Is it Welsh? Hm. I wonder if bablefish can
help me translate it.

Thanks,

Jim

2003-02-18 01:29:47

by Jeff Garzik

Steve Lee wrote:
> I hadn't noticed this yet, but I'm disappointed as well. I usually read
> his diary on a weekly basis.
>
> Alan???

Alan is learning Welsh.

Though, it's his own diary, so who cares what language it's in...

Jeff

2003-02-18 02:04:16

by Joel Jaeggli

what's wrong with welsh?

joelja

On Mon, 17 Feb 2003, Steve Lee wrote:

> I hadn't noticed this yet, but I'm disappointed as well. I usually read
> his diary on a weekly basis.
>
> Alan???
>

> Steve

Joel Jaeggli Academic User Services [email protected]
-- PGP Key Fingerprint: 1DE9 8FCA 51FB 4195 B42A 9C32 A30D 121E --
resort of the scoundrel. With all due respect to an enlightened but

by Steven Cole

On Mon, 2003-02-17 at 18:39, Jeff Garzik wrote:
> Steve Lee wrote:
> > I hadn't noticed this yet, but I'm disappointed as well. I usually read
> > his diary on a weekly basis.
> >
> > Alan???
>

> Alan is learning Welsh.
>
> Though, it's his own diary, so who cares what language it's in...
>
> Jeff

True, but perhaps someone could kindly ask Alan for:

Saesneg cyfieithiad, os gwelwch yn dda.

Steven

2003-02-18 07:01:54

by Jan-Benedict Glaw

On Mon, 2003-02-17 11:47:56 -0600, Eli Carter <[email protected]>
wrote in message <[email protected]>:
> [email protected] wrote:
> >I notice that the entries on http://www.linux.org.uk/diary/ have changed
> >to a different language. Is it Welsh? Hm. I wonder if bablefish can
> >help me translate it.
>
> Apparently it is Welsh.... check that 'The other side of the story'
> link at the top, and the feb 16th entry on that page.
>
> I have no idea how to grok Welsh.

Alan took the Benglish language example on Bitkeeper to point out some
"proprietary" system (here Welsh). It's all about politics, isn't it?

MfG, JBG

--
Jan-Benedict Glaw [email protected] . +49-172-7608481
"Eine Freie Meinung in einem Freien Kopf | Gegen Zensur

Attachments:
(No filename) (907.00 B)
(No filename) (189.00 B)

by Sean Neakums

commence Joel Jaeggli quotation:

> what's wrong with welsh?

T? s? nach m?r marbh.

--
/ |
[|] Sean Neakums | Size *does* matter.

2003-02-18 12:15:13

by Peter H. Ruegg

On Mon, 17 Feb 2003, Joel Jaeggli wrote:

> what's wrong with welsh?

im prinzip aube nueuet, abaer 's wuer haut scho o no der
eint oder anger o no interessiere, wo die sprach i gott'sname
noed verstoht. ;-)

Peter

--8<-------------------------------------------------------------------------
main(){char*s="O_>>^PQAHBbPQAHBbPOOH^^PAAHBJPAAHBbPA_H>BB";int i,j,k=1,l,m,n;
for(j=0;j<7;j++)for(l=0;m=l-6+j,i=m/6,n=j*6+i,k=1<<m%6,l<41-j;l++)
putchar(l<6-j?' ':l==40-j?'\n':k&&s[n]&k?'*':' ');}

2003-02-18 15:07:31

by Steve Lee

There is nothing wrong with Welsh. Can't a person just be disappointed?
I guess I will have to learn Welsh so that I can continue to read his
posted on the web for everyone to see diary.

Steve

> I hadn't noticed this yet, but I'm disappointed as well. I usually
read
> his diary on a weekly basis.
>
> Alan???
>

> Steve

linux-kernel"

Jan-Benedict Glaw wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-02-17 11:47:56 -0600, Eli Carter <[email protected]>
> wrote in message <[email protected]>:
>
>>[email protected] wrote:
>>
>>>I notice that the entries on http://www.linux.org.uk/diary/ have changed
>>>to a different language. Is it Welsh? Hm. I wonder if bablefish can
>>>help me translate it.
>>
>>Apparently it is Welsh.... check that 'The other side of the story'
>>link at the top, and the feb 16th entry on that page.
>>
>>I have no idea how to grok Welsh.
>

> Alan took the Benglish language example on Bitkeeper to point out some
> "proprietary" system (here Welsh). It's all about politics, isn't it?
>
> MfG, JBG

Ah, well then, we should all loudly demand that Larry^WAlan provide a
free and Free, Welsh -> English translater hosted on bkbi^Wlinux.org.uk.
Right?

Or perhaps we should ask Alan "That's a Word^WWelsh doc. Can you resend
in plain text^WEnglish?" Hmmm?

*ahem* Back to work.... ;)

Eli
--------------------. "If it ain't broke now,
Eli Carter \ it will be soon." -- crypto-gram
eli.carter(a)inet.com `-------------------------------------------------

2003-02-18 17:09:11

by Jan-Benedict Glaw

On Tue, 2003-02-18 09:19:24 -0600, Steve Lee <[email protected]>
wrote in message <001f01c2d761$1fdea640$0201a8c0@pluto>:
> There is nothing wrong with Welsh. Can't a person just be disappointed?
> I guess I will have to learn Welsh so that I can continue to read his
> posted on the web for everyone to see diary.

Better - you're freely allowed to learn Welsh!

MfG, JBG

--
Jan-Benedict Glaw [email protected] . +49-172-7608481
"Eine Freie Meinung in einem Freien Kopf | Gegen Zensur
fuer einen Freien Staat voll Freier B?rger" | im Internet!
Shell Script APT-Proxy: http://lug-owl.de/~jbglaw/software/ap2/

Attachments:
(No filename) (638.00 B)
(No filename) (189.00 B)

by Pavel

From: Jan-Benedict Glaw <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2003 18:18:32 +0100

> Better - you're freely allowed to learn Welsh!

I do not speak Walsh, but there are more reasons:

- you can choose who will teach Welsh to you
- you have the *right* to learn Welsh yourself without anyone trying to
kill you

I think that Alan's decision to start writing his diary in Welsh can be
also a lecture for Linus: I hope Alan will change his (bad) decision to use
Welsh and will come back to English even if writing in Welsh is good for
him to learn Welsh but his decision hurts others. The same applies to Linus
and BK.

Only big man can change his bad decision.
--
Pavel Jan?k

I can't make such predictions--my crystal ball is cloudy today.
-- Richard Stallman in emacs-devel

2003-02-19 00:29:30

by Alan

On Tue, 2003-02-18 at 17:18, Jan-Benedict Glaw wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-02-18 09:19:24 -0600, Steve Lee <[email protected]>
> wrote in message <001f01c2d761$1fdea640$0201a8c0@pluto>:
> > There is nothing wrong with Welsh. Can't a person just be disappointed?
> > I guess I will have to learn Welsh so that I can continue to read his
> > posted on the web for everyone to see diary.
>
> Better - you're freely allowed to learn Welsh!

Dear me, bitkeeper isnt causing problems except on the odd occasion someone
sends a file bk only, and Larry has a sane answer brewing even for that.
You can grab 2 hourly snapshot diffs of linus bk head v 2.5.latest from
ftp.nl.linux.org, and specific patches he submitted.

As to the diary. I put it on the net because it seemed a sane place for it,
however asking me to change it for the benefit of passers by is rather like
complaing to a neighbour that you don't like the colour of their wallpaper
when you peer into through their windows

2003-02-19 02:54:38

by Bernd Eckenfels

In article <[email protected]> you wrote:
> im prinzip aube nueuet, abaer 's wuer haut scho o no der
> eint oder anger o no interessiere, wo die sprach i gott'sname
> noed verstoht. ;-)

Hey das hab ich verstanden :)

Bernd
--
eckes privat - http://www.eckes.org/
Project Freefire - http://www.freefire.org/

2003-02-19 03:23:23

by Steven Cole

On Tue, 2003-02-18 at 18:41, Alan Cox wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-02-18 at 17:18, Jan-Benedict Glaw wrote:
> > On Tue, 2003-02-18 09:19:24 -0600, Steve Lee <[email protected]>
> > wrote in message <001f01c2d761$1fdea640$0201a8c0@pluto>:
> > > There is nothing wrong with Welsh. Can't a person just be disappointed?
> > > I guess I will have to learn Welsh so that I can continue to read his
> > > posted on the web for everyone to see diary.
> >
> > Better - you're freely allowed to learn Welsh!
>
> Dear me, bitkeeper isnt causing problems except on the odd occasion someone
> sends a file bk only, and Larry has a sane answer brewing even for that.
> You can grab 2 hourly snapshot diffs of linus bk head v 2.5.latest from
> ftp.nl.linux.org, and specific patches he submitted.
>
> As to the diary. I put it on the net because it seemed a sane place for it,
> however asking me to change it for the benefit of passers by is rather like
> complaing to a neighbour that you don't like the colour of their wallpaper
> when you peer into through their windows

On this side of the pond we sometimes have Homeowners Association
restrictive covenants. See the X-files episode where Mulder and Scully
shack up undercover in a gated community and Mulder gets flak for
setting up a basketball goal.

Steven

2003-02-19 03:37:19

by Bill Davidsen

On Tue, 18 Feb 2003, Pavel [iso-8859-2] Jan?k wrote:

> I think that Alan's decision to start writing his diary in Welsh can be
> also a lecture for Linus: I hope Alan will change his (bad) decision to use
> Welsh and will come back to English even if writing in Welsh is good for
> him to learn Welsh but his decision hurts others. The same applies to Linus
> and BK.

The primary difference being that my lawyer sees no legal issues with
using Welch.

Having once worked on a project which was heavily commented in high school
Latin and BNF, I won't complain, I'll just stop reading until someone
posts a good Welch to English AI.

--
bill davidsen <[email protected]>
CTO, TMR Associates, Inc

by Henrik Persson

On 18 Feb 2003 20:24:48 -0700
Steven Cole <[email protected]> wrote:

SC> On this side of the pond we sometimes have Homeowners Association
SC> restrictive covenants. See the X-files episode where Mulder and Scully
SC> shack up undercover in a gated community and Mulder gets flak for
SC> setting up a basketball goal.

...and then a garbage-monster comes and tries to kill people. Scary.

A bit off topic? :P

--
Henrik Persson
e-mail: [email protected]

2003-02-19 12:26:30

by Richard B. Johnson

On Tue, 18 Feb 2003, Bill Davidsen wrote:

> On Tue, 18 Feb 2003, Pavel [iso-8859-2] Jan?k wrote:
>
> > I think that Alan's decision to start writing his diary in Welsh can be
> > also a lecture for Linus: I hope Alan will change his (bad) decision to use
> > Welsh and will come back to English even if writing in Welsh is good for
> > him to learn Welsh but his decision hurts others. The same applies to Linus
> > and BK.
>
> The primary difference being that my lawyer sees no legal issues with
> using Welch.
>
> Having once worked on a project which was heavily commented in high school
> Latin and BNF, I won't complain, I'll just stop reading until someone
> posts a good Welch to English AI.

What has changed? Alan has not used English for a long time, only
British. Maybe Welch will be an improvement! \\Ducks

Cheers,
Dick Johnson